Medellin 5 Year Anniversary

Debord

18 minutes ago, Sheridan1980 said:

Above all, once she passed the age of 49, the media no longer gave her any credit. Unfortunately, the media decide whether a song is a hit or not. It has nothing to do with the quality of his music, it's just a question of age. Besides, a 50-year-old woman who wants to stay in the game is just too much for them. 

I think SO many Madonna fans still don't get this, and some flat out just refuse to get it. Thought experiments, sure, but if Madonna released Like A Prayer or Ray of Light today, they would not get the same reception. Imperial phases themselves shape reception and success (something we see very clearly right now with Taylor and Beyonce).

Can’t believe it’s been five whole years

The only problem with Medellin is that it's not groundbreaking enough for the first single off a Madonna album. It's no Frozen or Hung Up.

Other than that, it's a cute, catchy song with summery vibes, and it’s quite different from what M had done before. Which is probably enough to love it for what it is

I always loved Medellin, it's one of my favorite Madonna songs! I wasn't really a hardcore Madonna fan in spring of 2019, I did already listen to all her albums and had tons of songs I liked but I wasn't obsessed with her like I am now. "Medellin", though, had me OBSESSED for months that spring, my final semester of undergrad. I'd listen to it walking to class, walking back from class, walking to get food, all the time. It really locked in my Madonna stanship after that.

It's the best song on Madame X :heart:

The song is so good but Offer Nissim remix is kinda delivered more than original i really love the beats and Maluma rap parts .

Unfortunately there no catchy chorus the only memorable part is "one two cha cha"  but good pop song needs more.

ok that Billboard performance was fun but those hologram ruined all / its looks cheep and unnecessary. 

the song could receive more recognition at least in EU if she promote it on Eurovision but she choose the Sauron look with apocalyptic theme in the middle of Pride with songs nobody asked for. 

2 hours ago, Debord said:

Je pense que BEAUCOUP de fans de Madonna ne comprennent toujours pas cela, et certains refusent catégoriquement de le comprendre. Des expériences de pensée, bien sûr, mais si Madonna sortait Like A Prayer ou Ray of Light aujourd'hui, ils ne recevraient pas le même accueil. Les phases impériales elles-mêmes façonnent la réception et le succès (quelque chose que nous voyons très clairement en ce moment avec Taylor et Beyoncé).

Because their subconscious is programmed to believe another version, and they've sacralized her old hits to such an extent that whatever she comes up with in the future, they'll always find something to complain about. And yet she's done some really great stuff over the last 15 years, including tracks like Beat Goes On, which isn't even a single, but for me is as good a song as Vogue, and that's just one example. 

27 minutes ago, Sheridan1980 said:

Because their subconscious is programmed to believe another version, and they've sacralized her old hits to such an extent that whatever she comes up with in the future, they'll always find something to complain about. And yet she's done some really great stuff over the last 15 years, including tracks like Beat Goes On, which isn't even a single, but for me is as good a song as Vogue, and that's just one example. 

We see time and time again that the latter-day work of our legends doesn't really get revisited until after they either are long retires or die, unfortunately. David Bowie was widely mocked for "going jungle' etc in the 90s but vanishing for a decade caused his reputation to grow again and the two albums he releases after his return were greeted with rapture by the very same folk who'd said he should retire (as a huge Bowie fan I have receipts!) 

6 hours ago, Prayer said:

Still fresh. I also remember my first listen and be surprised but happy overall. Everyone (me included) expected the usual Maluma dirty reggaeton smash, but instead she gave us this smooth, cool, almost nostalgic song. I also liked that sonically it was something different for her, right where "Body Shop" had left in the previous album. She tried something different.

I took a pill and had a dream...

The video is still one of her best of last decade and I'd even say one of her best ever...

And the chemistry between them was always cute to see:

Slow down on the criticism, papis!

I agree! I love it to this day. I have a pipe dream of seeing her performing it in Rio. :pray:

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

I'd say "4 Minutes" was everything it needed to be in 2008, a killer commercial song for the time + a killer video. Plus it was one of the biggest hits of that year. It was literally everywhere in Spring 2008.

Even today, with Justin Timberlake "cancelled" and her completely ignoring the song on her greatest hits tour, remains one of her most streamed songs still.

Exactly! 

People always saying "her last hit was Hung Up". Girls, just because you don't Iike a song that much (4 Minutes) and you are stunning Hung Up, it doesn't necessarily mean 4 Minutes is not a smash hit. It's one of the biggest of her career. 

Yeah, "success" of MDNA/Rebel Heart/Madame X is a different story. But Hard Candy was huge af! 4 Minutes doing extremely well on charts, delivering one of the hugest hits in 2008 in US, followed by her most successful Sticky and Sweet Tour. 

We can discuss 2010s regarding Madonna's decline in popularity, but I don't understand why Hard Candy is always throw under the bus by some fans simply because they expected COADF2 and then end up not stanning the album. Yes, personally I don't prefer HC as well but it cannot be denied she achieved exactly what she and Warner wanted to achieve with that massive era. 

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

I'd say "4 Minutes" was everything it needed to be in 2008, a killer commercial song for the time + a killer video. Plus it was one of the biggest hits of that year. It was literally everywhere in Spring 2008.

Even today, with Justin Timberlake "cancelled" and her completely ignoring the song on her greatest hits tour, remains one of her most streamed songs still.

Deleted 

Sorry for double post, my internet connection got frozen 

Well, it worked (commercially) with Nile Rodgers in 1984/1985, it worked with Nick Kamen in 1986, it worked with Dallas Austin and Babyface in 1994/1995, it worked (internationally, not that much in the US) with Britney in 2003, it worked with Justin Timberlake and Timbaland in 2008...

Of course we all have personal preferences and she had indeed a reputation for discovering new sounds, trends and producers and making them mainstream, but facts are facts. She's gone with "flavor of the month" many times (even with Björk! She was exactly that in 1993/1994 after "Debut"), it's just a case of us fans liking that particular collaboration or not.

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

Well, it worked (commercially) with Nile Rodgers in 1984/1985, it worked with Dallas Austin and Babyface in 1994/1995, it worked (internationally, not that much in the US) with Britney in 2003, it worked with Justin Timberlake and Timbaland in 2008...

Actually all those examples prove the point of @androiduser (exept for Nile Rodgers but honestly you cannot take any exemple of the 80's cause she was the young new worldwide sensation and she could have worked with anyone it would have been a success). Bedtime stories, Me against the music and Hard Candy are not as succesfull as Ray of Light, Music, Confessions etc.. when she worked with less maintstream producers. 

4 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Well, it worked (commercially) with Nile Rodgers in 1984/1985, it worked with Nick Kamen in 1986, it worked with Dallas Austin and Babyface in 1994/1995, it worked (internationally, not that much in the US) with Britney in 2003, it worked with Justin Timberlake and Timbaland in 2008...

Of course we all have personal preferences and she had indeed a reputation for discovering new sounds, trends and producers and making them mainstream, but facts are facts. She's gone with "flavor of the month" many times (even with Björk! She was exactly that in 1993/1994 after "Debut"), it's just a case of us fans liking that particular collaboration or not.

Yeah, the way history is rewritten is incredible. Nile Rodgers was massive when she worked with him. So were a bunch of the folk she did Bedtime Stories with. While there are plenty of folk involved in her latterday work, always presented as her weakest, who weren't big names. It's just a rationale folk apply to justify not liking something.

3 minutes ago, Redha DBL said:

Actually all those examples prove the point of @androiduser (exept for Nile Rodgers but honestly you cannot take any exemple of the 80's cause she was the young new worldwide sensation and she could have worked with anyone it would have been a success). Bedtime stories, Me against the music and Hard Candy are not as succesfull as Ray of Light, Music, Confessions etc.. when she worked with less maintstream producers. 

Bedtime Stories was a course correction after the first flop of her career, made with folk who weren't exactly huge names. American Life was made with the same guy as Music. Much of MDNA was made with lesser names. There's just no correlation there.

7 minutes ago, Redha DBL said:

A long career like hers is always gonna have peaks and valleys. Nile Rodgers helped her achieve superstar status, she wasn't there yet even though the first album was doing great. Maybe with other collaborator it wouldn't have happened. "Take A Bow" was the biggest hit of her career in the US. "Me Against The Music" was a European smash. "4 Minutes" is one of her biggest hits ever, even though some fans still don't want to acknowledge that.

I don't know. The whole "she's better with unknown collaborators" thing is more myth than anything else, in my opinion. More of the same old "her last great album was Confessions". Then she works with Sickick and you all hate it xd

How could I forget Reggie Lucas! Poor him, always the forgotten one on that debut album. But he was basically hired because of this #1 hit he also co-wrote and co-produced:

This music video always cracks me up, she's just so happy cause she's IN LOVE!

Result: "Borderline" - Madonna's first US Top 10 hit ever.

Medellín is a tune!

I love its sonic weirdness, the structure, the fact that the song breathes within its length. The lyrics are good to the point that even the drinking reference feels unforced this time (I hate the drinking references to Girl Gone Wild, Give Me All Your Luvin' and Bitch I'm Madonna).
Even Maluma is above his standards lyrically and their chemistry is off the charts. I Like how he seems protective of her at the same time he's in awe that it's "MADONNA".

And the video is great too.

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

I was referring to duets and features, not producers.