Human Nature original chart run

This amazing song has become a tour staple and an iconic moment in M's career. But I'm curious as to why it didn't have much chart success in 1995. Particularly in the US stalling at #46

Top 10 in the UK (#8) and top 20 in Aus (#17) and number 2 on the US Dance Charts. Germany only #50.

Especially with a stunning video and fantastic maxi. Was it radio play? Bedtime Story seemed to do better chart wise.

Bedtime Story barely did any better. I think they were both just very left of field choices after Take a Bow. If they’d gone with Don’t Stop and Forbidden Love she’d probably have had a few more top 10 hits. But that would have been so boring and predictable so I’m glad that didn’t happen. Imagine if Don’t Stop had been a hit, she’d have included it on the Celebration Tour and we’d all be singing La di da di in 2024 :laughing:

34 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Bedtime Story barely did any better. I think they were both just very left of field choices after Take a Bow. If they’d gone with Don’t Stop and Forbidden Love she’d probably have had a few more top 10 hits. But that would have been so boring and predictable so I’m glad that didn’t happen. Imagine if Don’t Stop had been a hit, she’d have included it on the Celebration Tour and we’d all be singing La di da di in 2024 :laughing:

Also note Take A Bow did not make the Top 10 here in Australia or the UK - for Australia, Warner USA pushed Warner Music Australia for heavy promo of the album in May 1995 (which Australia was the only country to make it #1) and the Bedtime Story single - we got a world exclusive Ray Martin interview with M at her Hollywood hills home, a heavy advertising campaign and the Bedtime Story single was released as a gold CD to link back to the Gold Tour CDs, posters were given away with the CD single while leftover posters from the Take A Bow giveaway were given away with the cassette single of Bedtime Story - this is why it hit #5 - meanwhile Triple J were playing Human Nature on high rotation so they had to quickly add a sticker 

The TV commercial also featured Human Nature months before it's release -  by the time it was released as a single, it was too late as radio play had minimised. 

Screenshot 2024-05-16 155100.png

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Don’t stop…..:salty::Madonna040:

In the UK not only it was the 4th single of the album (it was going to have a hard time anyway) but it was released the same week Blur and Oasis were at their peaks, so British media was Oasis vs Blur all that week and the rest of the new releases pretty much ignored. "Human Nature" was lost in the middle of the great Britpop war.

Timing is essential sometimes.

I remember being obsessed with the radio remix in the UK. I also remember being in my dad's car during the week of release and Steve Wright on Radio 1 played human nature and then talked about the video. He said she was dressed in a bin bag and something about the song and/or Madonna being rubbish. 

LP version was played on french radio stations but the single was never released.

Only a CD maxi-single during summer 1995

3A5lab4.jpg

I always thought that this title was especially loved by her fans thanks to its video.
TAKE A BOW had not been a big success in France, BEDTIME STORY wasn't broadcast at all (except in clubs)
It must be said that HUMAN NATURE was a little against the tide of what was broadcast on radio at that time.

2 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

One of her best videos ever. I was always obsessed with the Bottom Heavy Dub. But thought the rest of the remixes were cheesy.

The song works best in its original form. I do like the I’m Not Your Bitch dub though.

14 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

Also note Take A Bow did not make the Top 10 here in Australia or the UK - for Australia, Warner USA pushed Warner Music Australia for heavy promo of the album in May 1995 (which Australia was the only country to make it #1) and the Bedtime Story single - we got a world exclusive Ray Martin interview with M at her Hollywood hills home, a heavy advertising campaign and the Bedtime Story single was released as a gold CD to link back to the Gold Tour CDs, posters were given away with the CD single while leftover posters from the Take A Bow giveaway were given away with the cassette single of Bedtime Story - this is why it hit #5 - meanwhile Triple J were playing Human Nature on high rotation so they had to quickly add a sticker 

The TV commercial also featured Human Nature months before it's release -  by the time it was released as a single, it was too late as radio play had minimised. 

Screenshot 2024-05-16 155100.png

I love reading this stuff - thanks for sharing! So interesting! 

7 hours ago, Ian said:

Radio back then wanted Don't Stop in America too, listened to it many times on my local FM

It would have done well in the U.S. for sure.  While I do agree, it wouldn't be as interesting as the choices made, but it's too bad they still didn't release this to radio. I'm betting it would have helped the album sell more.  I always thought "Forbidden Love" should have been released as well.  When it was included on Something to Remember, I thought that would have been a better choice than LDLHA.  It probably would have done better in the charts than LDLHA.

Bedtime Stories as a whole its a great album, filled with single choices. I think its my 2nd best favorite Madonna album after Ray Of Light. 

Human Nature its so funky. It was a weird choice and also Bedtime Story single. I mean Survival, Dont Stop, Forbidden Love were way better single choices at least for USA 

Sorry people. I hate this song. She performs it all the time. It never gets a big response. It's Boring and Not worthy of a greatest hit. It's Not on Celebration or even Finally Enough Love. It was never a hit but, the video is a classic and a pisser. To all those who enjoy it, Good luck to you. The only reason i bought this cd single was it had the rare Video Version on cd. I dont think that was on any others around the world, but im probably wrong. I would rather she pulled out Angel and Number 1 in OZ and top 5 Worldwide and she never plays it. She has probably forgot that she even recorded it. How many songs has she recorded Over 1000? I dont know, Does anyone have any idea?

1 minute ago, Craigypants said:

Sorry people. I hate this song. She performs it all the time. It never gets a big response. It's Boring and Not worthy of a greatest hit. It's Not on Celebration or any other compilation not even Finally Enough Love. It was never a hit but, the video is a classic and a pisser. To all those who enjoy it, Good luck to you. The only reason i bought this cd single was it had the rare Video Version on cd. I dont think that was on any others around the world, but im probably wroong.

On GHV2 the only compilation right?