Human Nature original chart run

It was never a hit, but for her it is like a signature song and an important stament, so it´s always included on tours. For me it´s poor musically although I don´t hate it, and she shows no voice on it, cause it has no range, on the other hand I think it´s easy for her to sing live. I love what she did with in on MDNA tour, that moment on stage she is the center and she was amazing, but for example that one one the sticky tour was so boring and poor, I hate it.

And yes, Bedtime stories has so beautiful tracks that could have been more radio friendly and good hits, but I think it was important to say she had no regrets and the video is really amazing and she looks on fire on it, a very beautiful body and good dancing, goood concept, one of her best ever.

On 5/16/2024 at 5:40 AM, stefo said:

I'm fascinated each time I read the success TAB got in the US, here we really didn't care much. Is it true that Hung Up was not that succesful in the US while here in EU it was massive?

On 5/16/2024 at 9:35 AM, mirtillo said:

Italians Radios were broadcasting Don't Stop istead of Bedtime Story.

Yeah most radio stations played Don't Stop and even requested it as a single. I think they would have eaten up Survival too but of those songs are very bland and boring. Don’t Stop is downright bad.

The final single was going to be Forbidden Love (with Don't Stop as b-side). The video was going to feature Madonna having a love affair with a priest or something like that.

On 5/16/2024 at 4:59 AM, BoyToyMark said:

This amazing song has become a tour staple and an iconic moment in M's career. But I'm curious as to why it didn't have much chart success in 1995. Particularly in the US stalling at #46

Top 10 in the UK (#8) and top 20 in Aus (#17) and number 2 on the US Dance Charts. Germany only #50.

Especially with a stunning video and fantastic maxi. Was it radio play? Bedtime Story seemed to do better chart wise.

It happened at a time when things were starting to shift: if you didn't have a global marketing strategy, you'd miss charting in some (or many) countries because the conversation would be confused between what was heard on the radio, what was upfront in stores and what the fans knew little by little with the first online forums, websites and the most influential media like MTV.

1995 was the year when CD reached 80% of market share in format sales (cassette went below 20%, vinyl less than 1% THINK OF THAT !!!) and it was so cheap to manufacture and sell that more singles simply meant more cash. I don't know if we have the actual number of CDs and vinyl sales for HN, but I bet it's still higher than many of her 2010s-2024 singles.

Bedtime Story had a lot more of clubplay. I remember both didn't chart that well, in France at least.

After winning back a #1 status with TAB, she did a very Madonna thing: release what she wanted to. Both songs weren't necessarily picked to break the charts but they were crucial in her image and position in the middle of the 90s : HN showed she could be relevant in the contemporary TLC/Janet/Mariah.. R&B trend. BS was an experimental-ish statement (think JML) enhanced by its high-budget video.

Check this fine article about HN https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/madonna-human-nature-unapologetic-anthem-7438922/

I can see how from a non-American perspective you would think this would have done well in the states, but not really. The early to mid 90s were a weird time here for mainstream music. Things got grittier and heavier. With a few exceptions, straightforward pop and dance pop sort of took a back seat or went adult contemporary. Most of what was popular from 92-96ish w/younger people fell under either “alternative” (a very wide umbrella) or gangsta rap and (grittier) r&b. Madonna was neither.

Bedtime Story was kind of her attempt at dipping her toe in the former, Human Nature the latter. Neither attempt was taken very seriously by their respective communities. But, both videos got a lot of airplay and I’m sure that helped the album. And hey, long term both songs are considered fan favorites so all’s well that ends well.

People blame slut shaming for her dip in popularity at that time and that was definitely a big factor, but also a lot of artists that were big in the 80s were sort of seen as uncool for a while.

Everyone's perspective is so interesting. I'm really happy the song is a tour staple and I think it's always said every she wanted to say. Its such a signature song.

And yes it was included on GHV2 rightly so. It's always fun on tour as well. It's aged really well.

Sad it didn't get the radio support in 1995 but glad the clubs played those glorious remixes. 

'Express yourself, don't repress yourself'

6 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

A little bit like Candy Shop. Both tracks are very funky, and she's always been such a funk head.

I’ve always loved this song but more recently a fellow fan whom I shall not name described the song as Madonna’s attempt to mimic TLC. I can kind of hear it :laughing:

I loved TLC though!

16 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

A little bit like Candy Shop. Both tracks are very funky, and she's always been such a funk head.

Yes, Candy Shop was a favorite of hers and I suspect Human Nature was too.  I love that she's sorta turned both of those songs into staple songs.  After all, artists have their favs too, and I love that she has favorites that aren't necessary the big hits.

41 minutes ago, BoyToyMark said:

Does anyone know what song stopped Human Nature being another #1 on the dance charts?

Human Nature Peaked on Sept. 16th, 1995.  The #1 song  (which I never heard until now) was "Everybody Be Somebody" by Ruffneck.  It remained #1 for three weeks. The two weeks prior to this song going #1 and Madonna peaking at #2, Annie Lennox's "No More I Love You's" was #1.

2 hours ago, Donna said:

Human Nature Peaked on Sept. 16th, 1995.  The #1 song  (which I never heard until now) was "Everybody Be Somebody" by Ruffneck.  It remained #1 for three weeks. The two weeks prior to this song going #1 and Madonna peaking at #2, Annie Lennox's "No More I Love You's" was #1.

That's so interesting! Thank you. And kind of sad that such a bland song stopped it from going #1. Annie's song I understand its high placement.

The Danny Tenaglia remixes were fantastic of Human Nature - loved the Runway Club Mix and Love Is The Nature Mix

Wish she would have used him again for remixes. Think she asked him to remix Human Nature after she fell out with Junior Vasquez over the If Madonna Calls record he did - am glad we got these Danny Tenalglia mixes and not more Junior mixes as brilliant as they were for Secret and Bedtime Story  

IMO, Bedtime Story and Human Nature killed the promotion of the album. Both songs are not radio friendly, although both songs had great videos. About Human Nature, it's one of my least favorite singles. I think the melody of the song is terrible. 

I think Forbidden Love and Don't Stop could be a better single choices. 

I also love Love tried to welcome me, but I don't think it's stronger than Forbidden Love. 

3 hours ago, bstranger said:

IMO, Bedtime Story and Human Nature killed the promotion of the album. Both songs are not radio friendly, although both songs had great videos. About Human Nature, it's one of my least favorite singles. I think the melody of the song is terrible. 

I think Forbidden Love and Don't Stop could be a better single choices. 

I also love Love tried to welcome me, but I don't think it's stronger than Forbidden Love. 

I love it but I think Love Tried to Welcome Me was a bit too sombre for mainstream radio. Forbidden Love would have been top 10 for sure, possible even top 5 in the US. Don’t Stop probably as well. I bet Warner were frustrated with Madonna’s insistence on BS and HN.

I don’t know why they couldn’t have just had a different release schedule for the US. The markets were quite different in those days. But I assume it’s because doing 6 videos wasn’t realistic. Or perhaps they believed the hype for the Bedtime Story video would be worth it.