Madonna to 'begin filming biopic starring Julia Garner in the next 12 months' after project was shelved during her Celebration Tour

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, deathproof said:

The MJ biopic is shaping up to be a big budget, highly publicized affair with a well rounded cast. Slated to come out April of 2025. 

Regardless of when the M movie comes out, her movie is going to be compared to the MJ movie nonstop. Critically and financially.

I'm still excited. 

If MJs biopic do well its great for her

like barbie/opppenhimer. It creates more buzz for both films.

But for me its kind of obvious that the script is not there yet... While it worked on the tour The narrative after 1990 gets weird

Edited by littlestartman (see edit history)

Why is this news to anyone? Did some really think she wouldn’t make this movies? What’s the no sense about “she told her story on tour perfectly”? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just think it should be a miniseries. There are too many stories to tell within her life story. 

Maybe they can do both. A feature movie length situation and then a 5 hrs director’s cut.🤣

38 minutes ago, Papa Zelko said:

Why is this news to anyone? Did some really think she wouldn’t make this movies? What’s the no sense about “she told her story on tour perfectly”? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just think it should be a miniseries. There are too many stories to tell within her life story. 

Maybe they can do both. A feature movie length situation and then a 5 hrs director’s cut.🤣

💯 with everything said above 👆 

I think they have agreed on the length of the movie by now, hopefully 

As mentioned by others, this was her plan all along instead of the tour. I'm definitely looking forward to it. Am I cautiously optimistic but worried her storytelling will go sideways and upside down? Definitely, Yes but it's Madonna is telling her own story so she gets to tell it through her eyes as a director. Writing and Directing her own biopic is a huge gamble but I'm sure it will be stunning, for better or for worse. Maybe she'll write music for the film but I wouldn't understand her making a standalone album which would beg another tour; I'm sure another tour is waaay down at the bottom of her "To Do" list until at least 2026.

5 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

So no reissues then either ? Not that we’ve come to expect anything now anyway seeing as this campaign has been one long bore of pointless vinyl reissues 🥹🙄

I absolutely agree. The random Warner campaign is a total failure in planning and schedule. I don't think it'll ever come to fruition. 

6 minutes ago, Gonzus said:

What is M15?

Madonna has no talent as a director. Let's face it, she's no Streisand (and I don't like that woman). Should she let a real director so the job the film would probably be a hit.

Hey Nonna, give as a new album and bring us joy. We already know the facts of your life.

I don't agree. "Filth And Wisdom" was cute and "W.E." was a great effort, just a little boring at times.

Plus she's basically co-directed her music videos since forever.

No one can tell her story like her. Look at her latest tour.

34 minutes ago, Gonzus said:

What is M15?

Madonna has no talent as a director. Let's face it, she's no Streisand (and I don't like that woman). Should she let a real director so the job the film would probably be a hit.

Hey Nonna, give as a new album and bring us joy. We already know the facts of your life.

25 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I don't agree. "Filth And Wisdom" was cute and "W.E." was a great effort, just a little boring at times.

Her directing is not terrible. With a studio support she can do a good film. She also did amazing casting on W.E (lots of those actors are bigger now)

The problem is in her writing, Her films were just a little too boring and self induced in that part. (she also seems to have chosen the worst scripts to act and passed on great ones like Matrix)

I'm all here for the movie.  She deserves it.  Apart from the Beatles the big top 5 of all time all have one.  So it makes sense and I think like the tour she will blow us away.  But I do hope a album is ready to roll. I know she does love to tour an album.  But she could film a one off concert special type thing like Kylie did with Disco. She didnt do a tour for that due to covid put we still got what the tour would look like and all the performances. If there is no album in the can then it will be years. Prep, filming, editing, promotion.

I never thought the film was completely shelved.  She decided to tour instead.  Obviously she couldn't put any more time in the film while touring. If this is true, and it's back on, I'm happy.  Let her get this out of her system. I prefer to hear her story than some pre-fabricated version by someone who is piecing her life together that undoubtedly be more sensationalism than actual facts and true experiences. Does that mean Madonna won't be a bit bias to it?  No, but no one can tell their story but themselves. That is her point.  I have no doubt someone down the line will do another film on her, but this one is Madonna's perspective.  And you can bet, she isn't just going sugar coat anything.  She isn't afraid to share her downfalls as well. :party:

1 hour ago, star guardian said:

being a fan i absolutely hate the idea of doing a movie instead of a miniseries cuz we know way too much and i just know we will not gonna be happy with some things from her life not being there LMAO

but im here for it, anything she wants to do im in 

Yeah, I thought that maybe it would be told better through a limited series as well.  In fact, I don't think she opposes the idea as when she was writing it and she did one of those live Instagram streams while writing with her co-writer. She expressed interest in making it a limited series, but she was shot down as the deal she currently has was for a two hour featured film. Though, that doesn't mean she can't negotiate a new deal here. 

Like you. I'm all in for this.  And of course, there is no way she's going to get everything in the movie, but I think it helps she has others helping her write and condense the script.  In fact, I think Madonna will be the one protesting what is cut out, rather be so willing to cut things out.  Though at the end of the day, a compromise will have to be made.  Other people will weigh in and help her decide.  What's written won't just be up to her only.  The movie studio will have to approve the script as well. 

2 hours ago, JurajK said:

What does making a biopic have to do with new music? Before it all comes to fruition and goes to theaters, Madonna can release two new albums.

So true, both can still happen.  Most of Madonna's early to mid career she was doing more than one project at a time. All her 80's albums were happening while she was involved in film projects.  Look at Erotica, she came off the baseball movie and started making Body of Evidence, all the while was putting her Sex book together and Erotica was being written and recorded. This all happened in a matter of two years time.  She's always been a multi-tasker.  Directing a movie like her biopic will only take a couple of months.  She can still record a new album, and even release everything simultaneously or back to back if she wanted to.

1 hour ago, littlestartman said:

Her directing is not terrible. With a studio support she can do a good film. She also did amazing casting on W.E (lots of those actors are bigger now)

I never said she was terrible, she just has no talent. And yes, the WE casting was great, just because she has this infalible eye for talent. 

47 minutes ago, Donna said:

Yeah, I thought that maybe it would be told better through a limited series as well.  In fact, I don't think she opposes the idea as when she was writing it and she did one of those live Instagram streams while writing with her co-writer. She expressed interest in making it a limited series, but she was shot down as the deal she currently has was for a two hour featured film. Though, that doesn't mean she can't negotiate a new deal here. 

Like you. I'm all in for this.  And of course, there is no way she's going to get everything in the movie, but I think it helps she has others helping her write and condense the script.  In fact, I think Madonna will be the one protesting what is cut out, rather be so willing to cut things out.  Though at the end of the day, a compromise will have to be made.  Other people will weigh in and help her decide.  What's written won't just be up to her only.  The movie studio will have to approve the script as well. 

Ok, since we're speculating I can totally see a limited series AFTER the feature. Even if the film tanked, a limited series would still be on the table because, like most of us have thought, she's got way too much of a colorful life to pack into a feature and she's got a ton of music they smear all over the episodes. I think she sort of HAS to do a feature because she's Madonna and if she doesn't do her own big studio release biopic first she'll be turning over in her cryogenic chamber in 2084 when an outsider does it. I'd read months back the script ended around Blond Ambition; whether that's the case a limited series could drill down on her early pre-fame days in NYC with an endless cast of soon to be famous characters, sad, strict but quirky and inspiring Michigan childhood etc. I can see her "allowing" outside esteemed feature directors whose names now pop up regularly on Hulu, Netflix and Amazon to work on it while she oversees it.

1 hour ago, littlestartman said:

But F & W was co-directed, so it doesn't count. And if W.E was a bore which indeed it was, it means it failed somehow. Sure it was visually wonderful and exquisite in the way a Lucchino Visconti film is, but the narrative stalled. You talk about videos: videos are not cinema, and I insist on this again: co-directing is no directing. Of course she can tell a story, as long as it's her own LOL. That's why Tuth or dare works and was a hit: it was her story, starrred by her, and ultimately scripted by her. That's what works best for her: stuff like Truth or dare. And when it comes to videos, Bad Girl: it was her best acting role. And in movies, it was Dangerous game, not even Evita. It's difficult to discuss the Madonna/movie/director/actress topic, it's a touchy subjetc.

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic