Madonna to 'begin filming biopic starring Julia Garner in the next 12 months' after project was shelved during her Celebration Tour

This is how I see things going.

The film will be her life story but the soundtrack will be an OST. Eg new music and thus her new album. New songs potentially made with new producers and also collaborators throughout her career. Nile / Price / Mirwais / Diplo / Leonard . That would be such a Madonna thing to do.

She will win an Oscar for best original song.

The film will take much longer than expected to make and may be fraught. Expect many tabloid / gossip pieces. 

Prince, MJ and many other men will feature heavily in her film. She wont even get a mention in MJ's and if she does it will be slight or maybe even derogatory/ dismissive.

The reissues will not come now until 2026 after the biopic.

In the next 12 months we will have the Celebration Tour film and Sound recording on platforms to tide us over.

The digital single release campaign will continue at this snails pace rounding up just as the biopic kicks off.

Madonna father is not well it would seem and his health or any deterioration in his health may interrupt these plans.  Hope he's doing well.

Expect rats to start coming out of the woodwork with stories and more books about her. 

Guy O will step down as her manager in the next five years.

The biopics angle will likely be about her survival as a woman in a mans world plagued by unfortunate deaths of relationships, friends, family, and contemporaries along the way. It will deal with her survivor guilt and will be called Live To Tell. 

They'll potentially eek another Greatest Hits or compilation of some sort in the next two years. 

While there will be no new Madonna music until the biopic she will feature on some more collaborative tracks for other peoples albums. maybe Katy Perry / Diplo / Mirwais / Honey Dijon 

The movie will actually be critically acclaimed but will not do the box office numbers like Rocket Man or Elvis or the MJ product.

Julia will be brilliant at acting in the film for the locals but the hardcore fanbase will remain unconvinced.  

More coloured vinyls. 

Warning Signs will still not leak. 

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Magic Pussy said:

Ok, since we're speculating I can totally see a limited series AFTER the feature. Even if the film tanked, a limited series would still be on the table because, like most of us have thought, she's got way too much of a colorful life to pack into a feature and she's got a ton of music they smear all over the episodes. I think she sort of HAS to do a feature because she's Madonna and if she doesn't do her own big studio release biopic first she'll be turning over in her cryogenic chamber in 2084 when an outsider does it. I'd read months back the script ended around Blond Ambition; whether that's the case a limited series could drill down on her early pre-fame days in NYC with an endless cast of soon to be famous characters, sad, strict but quirky and inspiring Michigan childhood etc. I can see her "allowing" outside esteemed feature directors whose names now pop up regularly on Hulu, Netflix and Amazon to work on it while she oversees it.

I don't know though?  While I don't think she is opposed to an idea of a "limited series", I think at the end of the day, she still wants a "feature film".  She also wants to "direct this".  I have no issue with this.  Though, I do think she should have someone there to help her along the way.  She'll want to over see the post production as well.  Again, I don't have an issue with her being so involved. After all, it's her story.  But I think what is hard (and this would be for anyone), is trying to stay objective to it all. I think she'll do fine, but she should (and I'm sure she will) allow more input from others who an help make this Biopic blossom to it's potential.  The fact is; no matter who is behind this biopic (in any aspect), they will never satisfy all fans in telling her whole story. It's just too much.  But let's be real here, there have been plenty of other biopics done on other celebrities where they weren't able to tell their full story, but still nail a goo biopic.  It's just unrealistic to think she will be able to cover her whole career as much as some fans want her to.  It just isn't ever going to happen.  And while I do think, Madonna isn't scared to share some dirt, but even she will have her limits to what is shared.  I know enough about Madonna that I don't need to know every freakin' detail of her life, including her mishaps. I think some are wanting her to air such dirty laundry. Sorry, but it isn't going to happen, and even a respectable director and film writer who is producing a film biopic on a life like Madonna will not want to focus in many negative aspects of her career.  Most biopics (unless it's on a serial killer or a monster to the world) want to share an equal share of the good and bad, but usually want to still paint their subject in an over all positive light.  We as fans know Madonna isn't perfect, and I think much of the world has their opinion that she hasn't always been perfect as well.  The idea is to produce a biopic that is entertaining enough that will draw people into seeing a fair representation of her career.  Who else better to tell it, than that person who has live it themselves.  No one should go in thinking she won't have some bias to it. Of course, she will.  But it would be billed as "her story", so people should view it as such. If they want dirt and nonsense, then dig up the countless rags and unofficial biographies on her.  Besides, I have no doubt in the future, someone will come along and do another film on her, that may be more scathing!  I personally have no interest in seeing such!  I lived her career. I know she's hasn't always been the nicest person. I know she's done some things that doesn't necessarily make her Mother Theresa, yet Madonna really hasn't pretended to be such either. 

Yawn for me. Madonna is a well documented visual artist, they have filmed everything forever and released nothing but the met gala show.

Its seems inexplicable to make a traditional 2 hour Hollywood style movie recreation and not a modern long form visual biography with Madonna telling her stories against the real footage. Ill keep an open mind that may be scenario with Garner in limited flashback scenes to tell the earlier stories.

1 minute ago, cyberrage said:

Yawn for me. Madonna is a well documented visual artist, they have filmed everything forever and released nothing but the met gala show.

Its seems inexplicable to make a traditional 2 hour Hollywood style movie recreation and not a modern long form visual biography with Madonna telling her stories against the real footage. Ill keep an open mind that may be scenario with Garner in limited flashback scenes to tell the earlier stories.

agree I'd love a doc series not even an acted one. Even a Truth or Dare style one but about her whole life with her voicing it over. 

If she uses the Brazilian concert footage as the first scene of the movie, it will be too obvious that it will make audiences fall asleep because it is really boring.

[Dressing Room]

Madonna is sitting in front of the mirror. Ricardo is jumping in.

Ricardo : Madonna! There are more than 1.6 million people out there to see you now! You are still the queen of pop!

Madonna : Shut up and take a picture of me! Don't forget to use a filter and overdo the photoshop editing!

Madonna, close her eyes and the narration is flowing.

Madonna : There are over 1.6M people waiting out there to see me now. I'm still the queen of pop, but so many things happened before I got here and I'm the only one who can say it properly.

Then jump to the past.

Yawn

20 minutes ago, steady75 said:

The film will be her life story but the soundtrack will be an OST. Eg new music and thus her new album. New songs potentially made with new producers and also collaborators throughout her career. Nile / Price / Mirwais / Diplo / Leonard . That would be such a Madonna thing to do.

The film will take much longer than expected to make and may be fraught. Expect many tabloid / gossip pieces. 

Prince, MJ and many other men will feature heavily in her film. She wont even get a mention in MJ's and if she does it will be slight or maybe even derogatory/ dismissive.

In the next 12 months we will have the Celebration Tour film and Sound recording on platforms to tide us over.

The digital single release campaign will continue at this snails pace rounding up just as the biopic kicks off.

Madonna father is not well it would seem and his health or any deterioration in his health may interrupt these plans.  Hope he's doing well.

Expect rats to start coming out of the woodwork with stories and more books about her. 

The biopics angle will likely be about her survival as a woman in a mans world plagued by unfortunate deaths of relationships, friends, family, and contemporaries along the way. It will deal with her survivor guilt and will be called Live To Tell. 

They'll potentially eek another Greatest Hits or compilation of some sort in the next two years. 

While there will be no new Madonna music until the biopic she will feature on some more collaborative tracks for other peoples albums. maybe Katy Perry / Diplo / Mirwais / Honey Dijon 

The movie will actually be critically acclaimed but will not do the box office numbers like Rocket Man or Elvis or the MJ product.

Julia will be brilliant at acting in the film for the locals but the hardcore fanbase will remain unconvinced.  

More coloured vinyls. 

Haha, solid post there.

My main gripe is why would MJ feature heavily in her biopic when they only met three times?

Her posthumous displays of appreciation for him feel tinged with a degree of guilt or regret...

That aside, I'm not excited about this because music biopics have a super high cringe rate.

9 hours ago, Andreo said:

"Candy Shop. That's the single."

"....no..." says one of the Reps. "Absolutely not. We're doing the Justin Timberlake song".

She smiles. She knows what she is doing. She has a plan. A flash of Candy Shop performances from future tours flashes before her eyes.

"Fine. We'll call the record Hard Candy"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

20 minutes ago, cyberrage said:

This is why I am on board to Madonna doing this because I feel she wants to share more behind the scenes info about her career that is documented.  Also, there are personal aspects of her life, people have always been fascinated with.  Not that I think she would dive heavy into her marriage and divorce, but imagine her giving more insight to what really went on behind that relationship and why it didn't work. I don't think she herself is afraid to share it, but I also know she does respect Sean Penn that she may just leave that part of her life to just a mere mention.  Anyway, there is a lot of her early career and behind the scenes of her rise to fame that is still to be learned. I also see her trying to insert stories of her friends who died of Aids.  I think it would be fascinating that she give us more insight in how she works as an artists, in the studio and putting a show together.  Lastly, I do think she's interested in putting together something far different than the typical "Hollywood" style biopic. If she wasn't, why not let someone else do it, who will "Hollywood" it?

16 minutes ago, cyberrage said:

Totally, or at least a limited series on streaming, to really flesh out her story.

29 minutes ago, steady75 said:

More coloured vinyls. 

Season 8 Yes GIF by The Office

3 minutes ago, Pedro Beltran said:

LOL:lol:

I think the pic with max martin could be the katy perry duet and not a song of hers.  damn!

There was also rumours that Baz Luhmann put his hand up to direct at universal. This would defintely free up time and I think a great move.  its still Madonna telling her story.  Its still her vision.  Hes a absolutely brilliant director and has the right combo of fierce campness to go with M's story

15 minutes ago, blondebenji said:

I think the pic with max martin could be the katy perry duet and not a song of hers.  damn!

There was also rumours that Baz Luhmann put his hand up to direct at universal. This would defintely free up time and I think a great move.  its still Madonna telling her story.  Its still her vision.  Hes a absolutely brilliant director and has the right combo of fierce campness to go with M's story

Good deduction, as long as it’s a great song bring it!!! 

First single of course 

hmmm I dunno Baz isn't the right fit. too fancifull and fairytale like. He's the hydrangeas of directing. I think Madonna will do it but style wise I have no idea how she'll go. I actually love the Dali theme she used on the tour and the Poor Things director Yorgos Lanthimos could do something wonderful with that kind of briefing. I don't expect this thing to be lateral or traditional Hollywood biopic at all. I think it will be slightly surreal like the tour was. Linear but non linear at the same time. 

A project like this would have interested me more 20 years ago.

With the internet, social media, and fan forums like this being what they are it's a lot easier to get my M fix.  For the most part there won't be anything in this movie fans here probably aren't aware of.  

Behind The Music 1998 was a great special back in the day.  Granted I didn't know nearly as much about Madonna back then as I do now but it's a different world we live in with everything at our fingertips 24/7.  

Of course I'll watch it though.  

1 hour ago, Gonzus said:

But F & W was co-directed, so it doesn't count. And if W.E was a bore which indeed it was, it means it failed somehow. Sure it was visually wonderful and exquisite in the way a Lucchino Visconti film is, but the narrative stalled. You talk about videos: videos are not cinema, and I insist on this again: co-directing is no directing. Of course she can tell a story, as long as it's her own LOL. That's why Tuth or dare works and was a hit: it was her story, starrred by her, and ultimately scripted by her. That's what works best for her: stuff like Truth or dare. And when it comes to videos, Bad Girl: it was her best acting role. And in movies, it was Dangerous game, not even Evita. It's difficult to discuss the Madonna/movie/director/actress topic, it's a touchy subjetc.

I agree with everything you wrote, except one thing I would like to share my opinion about cause it can help me to explain my point about her and movies (so nothing personal at all, I repeat it, I agree with all the rest, included what you wrote about her Evita performance :thumbsup:). It's very hard to parallel Visconti's movies aesthetics with W.E. imo, his set and costume recreations, the camera moves and, most of all, the ability to tell something about those men and women through the aesthetics he created, wich made his movies become a kind of anthropological exploration in terms of vision of the world, classes values and habits, personal motivations and conflicts. And he's been able to do this not just with luxurious and rich people, he did it with very poor ones or 60s bourgeois. W.E. aesthetics is like a two hours long perfume adv imo (wich is a contemporary commercial taste, so nothing I would particularly criticize).

The good points of that movie are the casting (I agree) and the long researches about the main characters, wich gives at least something personal and a little more interesting to the story, but imo the final result was a HUGE mess. The contemporary storyline was litterally all over the place, the domestic violence was stereotyped, lacking every kind of complexity and superficially presented, the violated woman decides ... to follow the traces of the dukes love story to get the meaning of TRUE love and needs to get to Sotheby's  :Madonna021:  where she meets a russian bodyguard who lives in a kind of super deluxe loft in NY and of course he's gorgeous, ready to fall in love and plays the piano :Madonna004:  It was all so weird and superficial that I remember we started to laugh watching it at the point we stopped it and I finished to watch the last 30 minutes or so later in my bed, because I'm fond of her and I wanted to see what she was trying to do anyway (I did not go to the cinema for that by the way). 

What I'm trying to say is just that being a film maker is a specific talent, they study and look for their own "voice" for years, telling stories and making the whole thing feel real requires a different kind of complexity. She's got other amazing talents, but this kind of storytelling is not her thing. She wanted to try it and she could so, fine, she made a good thing realizing her intention. Especially cause, when the movie came out and was not a success critically or publicly, she did not seem to be persistent about it :kiss2:

49 minutes ago, cyberrage said:

This could be interesting, a real visual biograpghy, a well written documentary, full of rare and unreleased footages, also from her stage performances, curious tales about how things went out and matters some provocations or ideas were built around and especially a good ANALISYS of what she did as an artist and a meaningful public figure for at least 25 years, cause fuck she deserves some serious credit about it! Love the idea and I would be, on this definitely yes, quite excited and eager to watch how the story would be developing in this kind of format :hearteyes:

1 hour ago, blondebenji said:

It can be, but he talked about a track they recorded together inspired by her 80s sound and there was not mention of Perry. If I remeber well, he was just talking about a Madonna song. I think one thing doesn't exclude the other. M and Perry were photographed together last year out of a recording studio and Perry talked about a coming duet with a legend, so I'm quite postive about this. It would be nice if true, we'll see :broken:

Said that we need a proper new era guys, let's face it ... let's do it peacefully

Nervous Anxiety GIF by blackbear

22 minutes ago, Pedro Beltran said:

@stefonot peacefully we want sweat tears and blood, we want war!!! We are Madonna fans 
War Attack GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

JK, love and peace is also nice 😊 

Love You Kiss GIF

yeah doc, that was mostly directed to myself (the anxiety came today when I opened this thread :lol:) but you are right, I'm a M fan and I need to accept my nature. So for all the blood, sweat and tears I've got in my body, TRULY:

M GET THE FUCK OUT OF THIS MOVIE NONSENSE AND GIVE US A NEW DREAM!

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic