Madonna: The First Album (Poll)

angelamanda623

Madonna: The First Album  

67 members voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite cut from this album (standard)?

I had tried to start out this topic before but in a different (perhaps more boring format), and if someone else had done this previously--apologies go out but, then again, choices always change.  

Vote for your favorite cut from her first album (in standard form).  You only get to vote for one cut and votes are public.  The only rule is that you have to justify your choice by responding below why this song is such a favorite for you.

Mine is "Everybody".  I love the way that this cut sounds, especially the bass.  I also love the history of this song, including the fact that everyone who had heard the song had assumed that Madonna was African-American (her pic was not allowed on the single's sleeve, but you all know that).  I never understood why many assumed this because I truly believe that, had I been listening to her at the time and not have known who she was beforehand, I would have just given her credit for being a soulful white woman.

I voted Borderline (but if there was a second option i'd of voted I Know It). I think Borderline is a fantastic pop song, with a real nice melody. It's always been a favourite but since the stems leaked years ago I think I love it more as on the released versions i could barely hear a piano, but the piano track from the stems is great. With all tracks played together in the mixing software i use, the song sounds even better as the piano and guitars are at a higher volume so more recognisable, enhancing the overall sound of the song, which i thought was pretty great at first anyway.

Mine is "Everybody". I love the history of this song, including the fact that everyone who had heard the song had assumed that Madonna was African-American (her pic was not allowed on the single's sleeve, but you all know that).

Interesting fact. I never knew that people thought she was African-American, and although i knew her face wasn't on the cover, i didn't know it wasn't allowed to be on the cover. Why wasn't it allowed? Does anyone know....?

tough choice!

i am absolutely in love with holiday and lucky star, obvious choices, i guess.

think of me is also one of my favorites, of the non-singles.

but i guess, i will have to go with physical attraction.

there is something feverish about the song and production i could never resist. fond memories of hot summer nights, as a kid in the 80s, listening to my older brother's records.

It's kinda impossible to choose between everybody and physical attraction. tbh I probably think everybody is the better track (especially the extended version) but there is something soooo intoxicating about physical I chose that one. The opening synths, the great middle 8, the way she breaks the sentence "you're touch is driving meeeeee - crazy, and when you smile" and then there's the spoken part, which is almost JML avant la lettre, no PA it is!

P.S. Also for me it's the first of three non single tracks that showcase a vocally rougher M that's always present on her albums and that I have somehow always favored over the more slick singles (the others being Stay and White Heat)

OMG, Pretender, our thinking is totally in sync.  I am also a big fan of all three of those songs; they show a side of Madonna that a fan rarely sees.