Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

Just now, Cyberraga said:

YOU MUST BE MY LUCK STAR! 🌟

Wohoo let's celebrate 40th anniversary !!  🥳

To this day, I still am confused as to why she was talking smack about Madonna when she was promoting her new album. Still love her and her music though. <3

16 minutes ago, Roy said:

To this day, I still am confused as to why she was talking smack about Madonna when she was promoting her new album. Still love her and her music though. <3

She loves her but she also hates everyone. She's trouble.

About the edits on "The Immaculate Collection", maybe it's because I didn't grow up with them (became a fan with the "Ray Of Light" album) but I never liked the "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" Immaculate edits... I like "Holiday", but on those other two something is off for me, I can't really tell what it is. The "Celebration" versions, while quite similar, are vast improvements, especially on structure for "Lucky Star".

I hate that "Lucky Star" has a thousand official edits, by the way.

20 minutes ago, Roy said:

Artist tend to make drama to promote themselves. P!nk took an opportunity when Madonna recived a backlash for her look. I love P!nk but saying that Madonna doesn't like her was stupid as fuck. 

1 hour ago, Roy said:

That makes more sense now. This was before computers have the power to finally digitize tapes so it is easier for them to edit it.

No, Roy. They have the stems, they didn't need to cut tapes. And a home computer maybe didn't have the power to digitize tapes, but a professional/dedicated computer yes. The first CD was commercially available in 1982, so years before they could digitize tapes. Like A Virgin album (1984) was recorded full digital.

From wikipedia: In 1978, Soundstream, who had made one of the first commercially available digital audio tape recorders in 1977, built what could be considered the first digital audio workstation using some of the most current computer hardware of the time.[1] The Digital Editing System, as Soundstream called it, consisted of a DEC PDP-11/60 minicomputer running a custom software package called DAP (Digital Audio Processor), a Braegen 14"-platter hard disk drive, a storage oscilloscope to display audio waveforms for editing, and a video display terminal for controlling the system.

35 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

No, Roy. They have the stems, they didn't need to cut tapes. And a home computer maybe didn't have the power to digitize tapes, but a professional/dedicated computer yes. The first CD was commercially available in 1982, so years before they could digitize tapes. Like A Virgin album (1984) was recorded full digital.

From wikipedia: In 1978, Soundstream, who had made one of the first commercially available digital audio tape recorders in 1977, built what could be considered the first digital audio workstation using some of the most current computer hardware of the time.[1] The Digital Editing System, as Soundstream called it, consisted of a DEC PDP-11/60 minicomputer running a custom software package called DAP (Digital Audio Processor), a Braegen 14"-platter hard disk drive, a storage oscilloscope to display audio waveforms for editing, and a video display terminal for controlling the system.

Ohhhhh... then why was Like a Prayer credited as her first digital recording if LAV was the first one?

17 minutes ago, Roy said:

Ohhhhh... then why was Like a Prayer credited as her first digital recording if LAV was the first one?

No. Like A Virgin is credited as her first digital recording. This CD is from 1984:

LmpwZWc.jpeg

But while all the CDs of ‘Like A Prayer’ have the phrase ‘digital recording’ on the cover, in ‘Like A Virgin’ it only appears on the first CD released in the USA. Why? I don’t know. To have an original CD of ‘Like A Virgin’ is like having a direct copy of the master tape because it was recorded at 44100Hz.

57 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Though, just because these devices existed that time does not mean that they were widely used, especially on the first album. 

Anyway, I think IC is not perfect and the "3D" sound wasn't that successful, it's like the audio plays inside a goldfish glass or something, making the illusion that it's a live recording. I guess was cool back then (?).

41 minutes ago, Roy said:

Only big names/studios had the luxury to record, mix and master digitally in 1984. I think one of the first digital recordings was Fantasia soundtrack (1982-3 re-recording) or something. I have an album by Jean Michel Jarre "Zoolook" that was all-digital (recording/mixing/mastering). I'm not sure though.

10 minutes ago, Harry X said:

Though, just because these devices existed that time does not mean that they were widely used, especially on the first album. 

Yes. It could be. But months later they recorded "Like A Virgin" album in digital. Months later, not years later. So they have the technology totally available in Sire/Warner when "The first album" was made.

10 minutes ago, Harry X said:

Anyway, I think IC is not perfect and the "3D" sound wasn't that successful, it's like the audio plays inside a goldfish glass or something, making the illusion that it's a live recording. I guess was cool back then (?).

No. The Q-sound was heavily criticized back in the day for music. But it was praised for video-games.

1 minute ago, Aiwa08 said:

No. The Q-sound was heavily criticized back in the day for music. But it was praised for video-games.

Let's be honest. Q-Sound was a gimmick and a way for the industry to try to find "the next best thing" after the already perfect CD format, more than something truly revolutionary. While it had possibilities, of course, it was more about having the right equipment and being imaginative when you're listening than anything else. And that's why it didn't take off.

About the "Like A Virgin" album digital recording, here's a good technical article about it:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/classic-tracks-madonna-virgin

9 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Let's be honest. Q-Sound was a gimmick and a way for the industry to try to find "the next best thing" after the already perfect CD format, more than something truly revolutionary. While it had possibilities, of course, it was more about having the right equipment and being imaginative when you're listening than anything else. And that's why it didn't take off.

Of course, for the industry, it was the new ‘holy grail’ in music, but audiophiles loathed the Q-sound. But believe me, in video-games the Q-Sound was really successful at least for a decade.

5 minutes ago, Harry X said:

Oh, kinda off-topic but recently I noticed that the 1985 CD re-issue of Like a Virgin sounds different then the original release without "Into the Groove". Does anyone noticed before?

I remember reading about it here:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/madonna-like-a-virgin-1985-uk-cd-different-mastering-than-us-cd.379507/

I think the "Like A Virgin" album suffers from being one of the first albums recorded with future ways in an old world and that affected some of the transfers or something? Like mixed technology.

I always says this, but the difference between the original CD and even the 2001 reissue with the original vinyl and the versions on the 1996 Japanese CD Singles box is A LOT. Like two different albums, sound wise. I used to think "meh" of the "Like A Virgin" album until I discovered the Japanese box set versions, amazing - probably a perfect transfer?

8 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

So the version on the 40 Japanese CD single is the original OST version (4:12). Another mistake in the japanese boxset... :suffer:

The 40 CD Collection was based on the Japanese releases anyway. What’s odd is that Crazy for You is Disc #38 or something and placed alongside the Something to Remember singles.

The thing with that single and Gambler was, that they had b-sides from the soundtrack that weren’t sung by Madonna, so they couldn’t use the original single in the first place and had to do a new one anyway.

As far as I know, all the other CDs were based on Japanese 7" or CD singles.

11 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I remember reading about it here:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/madonna-like-a-virgin-1985-uk-cd-different-mastering-than-us-cd.379507/

I think the "Like A Virgin" album suffers from being one of the first albums recorded with future ways in an old world and that affected some of the transfers or something? Like mixed technology.

I always says this, but the difference between the original CD and even the 2001 reissue with the original vinyl and the versions on the 1996 Japanese CD Singles box is A LOT. Like two different albums, sound wise. I used to think "meh" of the "Like A Virgin" album until I discovered the Japanese box set versions, amazing - probably a perfect transfer?

In my opinion, the original CDs without Into the Groove have a perfect transfer from the digital master tape, while the ones with "Into The Groove" have as a source an analog master tape. 

9 minutes ago, MPowered said:

The 40 CD Collection was based on the Japanese releases anyway. What’s odd is that Crazy for You is Disc #38 or something and placed alongside the Something to Remember singles.

The thing with that single and Gambler was, that they had b-sides from the soundtrack that weren’t sung by Madonna, so they couldn’t use the original single in the first place and had to do a new one anyway.

As far as I know, all the other CDs were based on Japanese 7" or CD singles.

Yes. I know. I bought the Japanese box in 1996/97. At that time, I thought that every single version was the same worldwide. And with the Japanese box, I learned the awful truth: every country had different single versions!!!

For example Open Your Heart:

• USA: Album Version
  • Japan: Album Version
  • Germany: Remix Edit
  • Spain: Remix Edit
  • France: Album Version
  • Italy: Album version
  • UK: Remix Edit

:drama:

35 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

So can I purchase lucky star 7” knowing it’s a good digital version ? This means all we are missing digitally is the 7” edit of OYH ? 

We're missing:

• Everybody - UK Mixes by Rusty Egan
  • Burning Up - Remix / LP Version
  • Physical Attraction - Fade (from the UK Borderline single)
  • Crazy For You - Edit/Fade (from the 7")
  • Borderline - Remix Edit (from It's That Girl)
  • Open Your Heart - Remix Edit (from the UK 7")
  • Causing A Commotion - Movie House Mix Edit
  • Jimmy Jimmy - Fade (from the CAC 7")
  • Over and Over - Extended Remix
  • Over and Over - Dub
  • Rescue Me - Lifeboat Dub
  • Rescue Me - Houseboat Mix Edit (from the UK release I think)
  • Rescue Me - Houseboat Dub
  • Rescue Me - Disaster Dub
  • Fever/Goodbye To Innocence - Back To The Dub 1
  • I'll Remember - Orbit Alternative Remix
  • I'll Remember - Guerilla Groove Mix

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW