Single Reissues Campaign - This Used to Be My Playground - OUT NOW

New_Boy

3 minutes ago, Prayer said:

He "came back" to Warner in 2014 for the "ART OFFICIAL AGE" album release and his new deal: all his Warner albums were now his own but exclusively licensed to Warner. Finally he had ownership of his Warner material, like he always wanted.

Part of the deal was releasing a Deluxe version of "Purple Rain" and that was announced in 2014 with the official press release of him back to Warner bla bla (similar to our infamous Madonna August 2021 one xd). Months later he delivered to them a 2015 Paisley Park remaster (not a good one, by the way, it's way too loud and compressed) of the 9-track album but that was it. Warner asked for more but he wouldn't do it.

That's why it was only released once he was dead. They put together his 2015 9-track album remaster with everything else they could use: b-sides, unreleased material, promo edits, extended remixes, etc. etc.

Oh. I didn’t know all that. I remembered the announcement but I never knew what happened.

I bet that was his plan all along :laughing:

5 minutes ago, Roy said:

Okay, hoes. What did I miss? XD

Not much.

We got the "Hollywood" maxi and upscaled video.

Then we got the "Lucky Star" remastered single (sounds like a new remaster).

We got no more upscaled videos.

We got a mini meltdown when July 27th came and no "Madonna 40" was announced xd

Oh, and we got A MILLION f****ng "Sorry" BLOND:ISH remixes. :Madonna009:

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

There wasn’t anything new to put on those Kylie box sets. So they’re perfect.

But it should be noted that Kylie did not put those together. Nor will she ever put anything that good together, mark my words. She is notorious for blocking the release of unreleased demos and things like that.

I know, tha’s the point. It was a record company thing, well put together but that’s it’s. I’m also sure some alternate mixes are in the vaults. 

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

Actually, while he was alive he only allowed Warner to release the original 9-track "Purple Rain" album remastered (in 2015). No b-sides, no bonus tracks, no unreleased material, nothing. That's why Warner held the release to try to convince him and in the end when he died they added everything they wanted and that's how the 2017 Expanded edition came to life.

The Spice Girls 25th anniversary album reissues are lackluster too, the first album has only one unreleased track (they have more in the vault) and the second zero, nothing, just live versions ripped from YouTube.

There are very good expanded editions out there but also terrible ones xd

Actually I have that Purple Rain reissue and it’s a 3 disc edition with some unreleased stuff  and b-sides and a vhs quality concert, but that’s it. I expect Madonna could do the same (and I would be happy) but expecting  a 10 discs edition is just stupid. 

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Exactly. He would probably have even cancelled the Purple Rain re-issue at the last minute. Then sued his fans for sharing a grainy video of him on YouTube to punish them further.

I would still rather he be alive though - he was an amazing artist and I’m gutted he went so young 🥹

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

Not much.

We got the "Hollywood" maxi and upscaled video.

Then we got the "Lucky Star" remastered single (sounds like a new remaster).

We got no more upscaled videos.

We got a mini meltdown when July 27th came and no "Madonna 40" was announced xd

Oh, and we got A MILLION f****ng "Sorry" BLOND:ISH remixes. :Madonna009:

I have seen those. XD

For Lucky Star, seems like Mike Dean decided to tone down the compressor. Still compressed as hell but slightly better than Gambler and Everybody. Honestly, it would have been better if it was untouched.

1 hour ago, Roy said:

It would have been better if it was untouched.

AMEN!

I don't get this "we need a remaster, the 80s songs sounds off" when the untouched, unremastered sounds way better in every way than this compressed, loud mess.

If the sound is quieter just crank up the volume, deaf grannies! :OML:

1 hour ago, DiegoLCL said:

AMEN!

I don't get this "we need a remaster, the 80s songs sounds off" when the untouched, unremastered sounds way better in every way than this compressed, loud mess.

If the sound is quieter just crank up the volume, deaf grannies! :OML:

Madonna's catalog is extensive and expanses decades of technology.  Bitch I'm Madonna's mastering is very jarring after a song like Angel (with the volume turned up).  She is hard to stream outside of a full album or individual song release. 

@MPowered please update your list with the info about 4 Minutes MV got a 4K upgrade on YT:

UPDATED!

ANNIVERSARY CHRONOLOGY

From the first era to the Madame X era

Bold and green = Single Re-Issue / Remix EP out 
    Bold and red = Single Re-Issue / Remix EP out but faulty 
    Bold and orange = Most/All remixes released on album re-issue 
    Bold and purple = Digital EP / Single previously available 
    Blue = Anniversary Edition Released 
    Underlined = HD music video out

JANUARY 

Material Girl - January 23, 1985 
    Keep It Together - January 30, 1990

4 Minutes is not underlined yet.

10 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

I would still rather he be alive though - he was an amazing artist and I’m gutted he went so young 🥹

Also, I prefer to respect the artists' wishes in what is released rather some money grabbing record company or estate doing so.  Now if the artists wished to start releasing whatever for "a money grab" situation, I'm fine because at least it's what they want. It's how they chose to further make money off of their art.  Their choice!  Prince is probably rolling in his grave, right now, knowing that his record company and estate are re-issuing his album with extra stuff he never approved.  Though, I'm sure he probably expected when he was dead and buring this would happen.

6 minutes ago, McDonna said:

Also, I prefer to respect the artists' wishes in what is released rather some money grabbing record company or estate doing so.  Now if the artists wished to start releasing whatever for "a money grab" situation, I'm fine because at least it's what they want. It's how they chose to further make money off of their art.  Their choice!  Prince is probably rolling in his grave, right now, knowing that his record company and estate are re-issuing his album with extra stuff he never approved.  Though, I'm sure he probably expected when he was dead and buring this would happen.

He was smart enough to know it (but not to leave a will). I remember when asked about the vault once in an interview and the unreleased material he said something like "it will be available when I'm not here" or something like that. I've been trying to find it but I can't...

4 minutes ago, Prayer said:

He was smart enough to know it (but not to leave a will). I remember when asked about the vault once in an interview and the unreleased material he said something like "it will be available when I'm not here" or something like that. I've been trying to find it but I can't...

Yeah, he definitely knew his unreleased material will see the light of day, once he was gone.  Though, he also has been known to cherry pick from his back catalog and release certain tracks with new albums over time.

I find that a lot of his unreleased material tend to be redundant to what he's already released. Some of the songs sound like others. So it's no wonder why he chose not to release much of that.

Just now, McDonna said:

Yeah, he definitely knew his unreleased material will see the light of day, once he was gone.  Though, he also has been known to cherry pick from his back catalog an release these tracks with new albums over time.

I find that a lot of his unreleased material tend to be redundant to what he's already released. Some of the songs sound like others. So it's no wonder why he chose not to release much of that.

Usually outtakes are outtakes for a reason. In Madonna's case too...

Fans want to have everything, but editing is part of the process always for every artist.

17 hours ago, Prayer said:

I believe it was the Larry King Interview in 1999?

22 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

Madonna's catalog is extensive and expanses decades of technology.  Bitch I'm Madonna's mastering is very jarring after a song like Angel (with the volume turned up).  She is hard to stream outside of a full album or individual song release. 

BIM is a garbage song anyway - even if it’s at -10b it still makes my ears bleed with that dreadful diplo chainsaw sample 🤢

22 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

Agree. And even if you use sound check or some other volume equalizer it’s still off and jarring (and annoying) as hell.

These days if I’m making any sort of mix or playlist of songs from across her career I only use tracks from Celebration or FEL for anything pre-2010.

18 hours ago, Prayer said:

Usually outtakes are outtakes for a reason. In Madonna's case too...

Fans want to have everything, but editing is part of the process always for every artist.

Generally agree re: vault content, and I know M is very picky about her final product and having it heard how she wants it.

But there have been little things she/Warner could’ve included with little effort and it almost makes me question her business acumen. When her albums went digital or streaming slap on an already released extra track or two as bonuses- Has To Be, Cyberraga, Super Pop, Fighting Spirit.

As far as unreleased content, whether she likes it or not some of it is already out there- LAP demo, completed versions of Liquid Love & Like An Angel. She could officially release it to capitalize. BTUTTB was the first time they did something like that.

On 9/3/2023 at 7:13 PM, LHakaLH said:

Do your homework, girlies!! The 3-disc 'BeautifulGarbage'  boxset includes the original 13-song album fully remastered; a second disc with B-sides and alternate versions (including six previously unreleased songs), and a third disc with rare remixes.  

While the Kylie boxset (she did that for her first four albums) indeed doesn't include anything new other than mixes and alternate versions, it does come with a DVD with the single's music videos, behind the scenes footage of thee making of said music videos, live performances related to the albums, a picture-disc, poster, and 48-page hardcover book where Kylie looks back and gives her insight on the albums and their recording, all presented in a deluxe box.

That was all PWL’s doing, though. They’ve been raiding the vaults since her music went digital. Every single she did w/them has every remix, alternate remix, instrumental, album track remix, etc available. Idk how much say she’s had on that.

The digital representation of her Parlophone era releases are a bit stingier. Could be because she has more control.

The very expansive deluxe reissues of Garbage’s albums (especially that one which was considered an underperformance) are very gracious. I also like what Siouxsie and the Banshees did- releasing all their b sides and bbc sessions on expansive multi disc compilations. Their album reissue bonuses are a bit stingy though.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - This Used to Be My Playground - OUT NOW