Ten reasons I loved (and love and defend) the MDNA era, 10 years later, despite the criticism.

Drownedboy

3 hours ago, artlover said:

I just wish MDNA sounded similar to The Fame Monster. 

That album showed how you chew and regurgitate european pop to make it more palatable. 

so she should have copied gagas debut sound ? YEAH that would have gone down well ..leave things like that to the artist who sang about doing what they want to her body with a  jailed sex offender 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drownedboy

1)Loved the Tour, the only time I have seen her, in Barcelona and she was flawless and the show amazing and was a total success for her. 2)The Superbowl perfomance: awesome, iconic, loved by everybody and a total success. 3)The cover of the album: one of her most beautiful ever. 4)The album itself:oks, I could do without Birthday song or I fucked it up, and I never quite liked the first single, even though it was fun and a success, but at the end MDNA mixed all the Madonnas (the f

Roland Barthes

It's still a shit album and its masters should be sent into the sun to burn in it forever. I've never hated a madonna song ever before girl gone Wild and i still do. The whole era was her trying to compete with Gaga meaning she lowered herself to her awful asthetics and putrid dance music from a worst of the 90's compilation. It's badly written, badly recorded, badly produced, badly mixed and badly mastered. The cover is beautiful though. So is the whole photoshoot. The tour is messy, it's like

Prayer

Great dance-pop album and probably her last album with the whole pop world watching and paying attention. Amazing tour. Terrible promotion. The lack of a proper marketing team from the label behind her was noticeable here. This album with Warner would have been managed differently. The whole concept of the "DNA of M" was too cool to not use it. It's funny how some fans complained that she didn't do pop/dance with "Hard Candy" but later complained too when she was back to it on "MDNA". She r

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, beautifulkiller said:

the Paris Olympia fiasco ??

wasnt that just some crazed little monsters ?

we need to remember she was being totally sabotaged during this era by the horrorbag gaga fans lol - by a lot of fan bases actually 

Those were LePen supporters and some fans that booed her. Not Monsters.

8 hours ago, artlover said:

I just wish MDNA sounded similar to The Fame Monster. 

That album showed how you chew and regurgitate european pop to make it more palatable. 

It's interesting that Red One was asked to work with her and then it was canceled he feels, because of the Gaga association. But if that's the case, I'm not sure why they'd ask him in the first place since everyone knew he was synonymous with Gaga. I'd still be curious to see what they came up with together at the time. Fame Monster still holds up.

1 hour ago, dylanlioncourt said:

Those were LePen supporters and some fans that booed her. Not Monsters.

hmm debatable ..they really were that sick and twisted i would not put it past them ..so it was madonnas fault because she spoke out about lepen ? im just curious as to why this was listed in the countless ranty list provided by that member as it was not her fault - my point is she was being sabotaged left right and centre during this era not to mention the set up with the flowers thing by a pranker - it seemed everybody was out to get her cancelled and it was pushed by the crazed deluded gaga fans ..

anyway here is another gem from the mdna era ..it was not that bad of a era or album 

12 minutes ago, beautifulkiller said:

hmm debatable ..they really were that sick and twisted i would not put it past them ..so it was madonnas fault because she spoke out about lepen ? im just curious as to why this was listed in the countless ranty list provided by that member as it was not her fault - my point is she was being sabotaged left right and centre during this era not to mention the set up with the flowers thing by a pranker - it seemed everybody was out to get her cancelled and it was pushed by the crazed deluded gaga fans ..

anyway here is another gem from the mdna era ..it was not that bad of a era or album 

How is it debatable? She herself mentioned it was LePen supporters that were there. Of course, she'd have blowback from her comments on LePen. It's not her fault but I'm sure it was her expectation given she was right about what she was saying about LePen and her policies in France. My friend attended this show and said aside from the obvious trolls, there were fans that were upset and left abrupt with how the show ended and perhaps expected a full show. 

Monsters earned their reputation but the Olympia show was not due to them. 

13 minutes ago, dylanlioncourt said:

How is it debatable? She herself mentioned it was LePen supporters that were there. Of course, she'd have blowback from her comments on LePen. It's not her fault but I'm sure it was her expectation given she was right about what she was saying about LePen and her policies in France. My friend attended this show and said aside from the obvious trolls, there were fans that were upset and left abrupt with how the show ended and perhaps expected a full show. 

Monsters earned their reputation but the Olympia show was not due to them. 

Im not saying it was just them but i really believe that some of them was there and they was silly to expect a full show and again it was not madonnas fault so i dont get why it was listed - the era was hard for madonna but she pulled through it ..she was attacked so much during this era - what i mean by debatable is that you cant say for sure that little monsters did not attend that show to attack madonna or sabotage her ...they was obsessed and deranged at this time ..i dont know if they have grown up since lol

Gaga is literally the only other pop girl in the universe to have damaged Madges career and standing. Janet and Whitney, Mariah and Britney all did variations on their thing but they were different enough to have their own lane. 

Gaga was the only one who had that art school mentality like Madonna and she was doing it better at the time. That was the fatal blow. She was utterly brilliant at a time where Madge delivered a lack lustre record and followed it up with an even worse one while Gags delivered four brilliant pop albums back to back.  Gaga peak didn’t last like Madonna but the damage was done. There’s nothing more to debate really. 

I also had a change of heart for this album. Second one actually as I loved it when it first came out and after a few years I didn't. Fans always consider this particular album her lowest point along with Hard Candy, but MDNA is far superior. You can listen to it all the way through without getting a headache, like from HC's inexplicably long tracks and their RnB beats.

It can feel rushed and like a mess but it wasn't meant to be more than that. But even for those who take each piece of Madonna's discography very seriously, they can see it as one of the most reflective pieces of Madonna's life. Having divorced from her company, from her man, having rebellious teenage children all over the place, a woman on the last of her reproductive days, she was going through a lot. MDNA came out to be a divorce record with great energy to match her peers and even her children's energy. She was angry then she was sad then bitter and this record was her catharsis in a way.

We have to appreciate it for the honesty, it being more vulnerable than even the least known tracks of COADF. For its dance quality which puts most of today's pop albums to shame. Of course we could all do without some of its tracks like Superstar and GMAYL. But that is for every album she makes. Like A Prayer's Love Song is kinda meh, Ray of Light's Shanti/Ashtangi, Erotica's Did You Do It? and so on.

That said I still can't get over tracks like Girl Gone Wild, I'm Addicted, Gang Bang, Some Girls, I Don't Give A, I'm A Sinner and Masterpiece. I have started to enjoy Love Spent and Falling Free as well. The sound well has somehow aged. But I've learned to enjoy it for what it was back then and all memoried associated to it.

There is a smaller great album in MDNA and very Madonnaesque, just not the part of her some fans can appreciate. A mourning album by a divorced woman is always better received. A mad divorced woman doesn't click. I'd even put it ahead of Hard Candy, Like A Virgin, Music and probably beside her first one. It's not polished and it's not complete, but her life wasn't either.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, MDNA22 said:

Agree with most of it  - Girl Gone Wild is SO bad - glad she went back to european dance music after Hard Candy but she went for a classless trashy generic EDM sound. Agree the best part the tour was Like a Virgin and Love Spent plus the finale  - all brilliant performances. Remixes were across the board awful for the album.  The shrill pitched up vocals sounded grating on some tracks and the unsubtle use of autotune on some tracks even Masterpeice you can here the autotune corrections. Think the william orbit tracks were the better ones but needed more time to polish them and maybe a different direction away from the EDM sound to make  the best of the tracks  and think reading between the lines of his Facebook posts that her was not happy with what the engineers did to his tracks on the final album.   Think Falling Free, Love Spent , I'm A Sinner, Some Girls and Beautiful Killer were the better tracks . Some of the others could have been turned into something better if they had different production

I don't get this claim of the album being an EDM sound. Like what songs besides GGW, I'm Addicted, and maybe Some Girls are supposed to be EDM?

3 hours ago, beautifulkiller said:

Im not saying it was just them but i really believe that some of them was there and they was silly to expect a full show and again it was not madonnas fault so i dont get why it was listed - the era was hard for madonna but she pulled through it ..she was attacked so much during this era - what i mean by debatable is that you cant say for sure that little monsters did not attend that show to attack madonna or sabotage her ...they was obsessed and deranged at this time ..i dont know if they have grown up since lol

If that one dude on here is any indication...

57 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Gaga is literally the only other pop girl in the universe to have damaged Madges career and standing. Janet and Whitney, Mariah and Britney all did variations on their thing but they were different enough to have their own lane. 

Gaga was the only one who had that art school mentality like Madonna and she was doing it better at the time. That was the fatal blow. She was utterly brilliant at a time where Madge delivered a lack lustre record and followed it up with an even worse one while Gags delivered four brilliant pop albums back to back.  Gaga peak didn’t last like Madonna but the damage was done. There’s nothing more to debate really. 

what a load of rubbish lol ..debate that - you forget to say all the rubbish you said was a opinion lol ..
the major blow to madonnas career was a shift in how you buy music and streaming , lack of radio support and of course her age not some wannabe who imitated her and pondered to the lgbt to get hit records

MDNA and hard candy would have sold badly with or without gags on the scene 

ive never read so much rubbish in my life it sounds like its come from a 10 year old little monster lol

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

you also forget about ..kylie , rhianna , beyonce and all the other pop artists - im going to have to block you now ..i dont like gaga fans who talk shit lol ..utterly brilliant ? hmm very very debatable and four back to back amazing albums..very very debatable ..ill be glad to be shut of you - never liked your comments anyway so you wont be missed 

37 minutes ago, beautifulkiller said:

what a load of rubbish lol ..debate that - you forget to say all the rubbish you said was a opinion lol ..
the major blow to madonnas career was a shift in how you buy music and streaming , lack of radio support and of course her age not some wannabe who imitated her and pondered to the lgbt to get hit records

MDNA and hard candy would have sold badly with or without gags on the scene 

ive never read so much rubbish in my life it sounds like its come from a 10 year old little monster lol

You do you hen. Stay pressed.  I don’t know why I’m talking to you as I’m blocked.  I’m a Madonna Stan because I recognise superior talent and an intelligent mind. That doesn’t stop at the door of Madonna. When someone comes along who has learned how she does it and elevates that I bow and respect it. Don’t blame me blame Madonna. She taught me to seek excellence. And for that brief moment of about five years Gaga had it in spades while M was pushing out over compressed Nichole Scherzinger demos and glorified photoshoot videos. Facts is facts henny. I don’t make the rules. Was  it the 25 years Madonna was on top?  No. No need to feel threatened. We all here for M. Are you ok? 

I cant see your delusional comments steady75 ..but i will say this ? 

do you think madonna would still be smashing the charts if gags did not come along because i do not think so ..soon as she turned 50 her radio support etc was doomed - it had nothing at all to do with gaga so dream on - beyonce and taylor are way more talented musically and as performers than gags so if anybody ended her it would have been them not some reductive copycat 

42 minutes ago, adirondak said:

I don't get this claim of the album being an EDM sound. Like what songs besides GGW, I'm Addicted, and maybe Some Girls are supposed to be EDM?

The whole 2009-2011 EDM vibe is all over the album: "Girl Gone Wild", "Gang Bang", "I'm Addicted", "Turn Up The Radio", "Give Me All Your Luvin'", "Some Girls", "Superstar", "I Don't Give A" and even "Best Friend", all of them have some of that era's EDM sounds (in most cases not 100% of the song, of course). EDM became super popular back then, so it was incorporated and mixed into regular pop.

3 minutes ago, beautifulkiller said:

I cant see your delusional comments steady75 ..but i will say this ? 

do you think madonna would still be smashing the charts if gags did not come along because i do not think so ..soon as she turned 50 her radio support etc was doomed - it had nothing at all to do with gaga so dream on 

F52E57B8-495D-49B2-9CCF-273352A2D9A4.gif.031bf1bb843c4493c623fea61f6be46d.gif