Favorite You Can Dance track

Honey Little

On 6/4/2023 at 9:40 AM, Fernando said:

Everybody is the Best ..i enjoy that version more than the original...

Totally agree! Everybody is one of my fave Madonna songs but the YCD version is by far the best and her live performances of it were always great.

I also really like the Over and Over remix. The album version always felt a bit cheesy in comparison.

I never cared for Into the Groove. I think the song is incredibly overrated and annoying. The same goes for Holiday.

On 6/5/2023 at 2:35 PM, momosfantasy said:

Yeah, I don't mind that they chose Physical Attraction, but why didn't they remix it? 

And Angel always needs more love!  Maybe not the best fit for YCD, but I would to see it get some attention again someday.

Fave YCD tracks are Everybody and Into the Groove.

Honestly YCD could have been a double album.

Lucky Star, Borderline, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Angel, Dress You Up, Open Your Heart.

I didn't grow up with the old 80s concept of remixes (mostly extended versions with little things added, more than completely reinvented ones), so when I discovered "You Can Dance" in 1999-2000 I found it a little boring, to be honest. I was used to the whole "let's change the song completely" remixes vibe of the 90s.

Now I can appreciate the effort and the mixes but still don't loooove it. It's fine to me. I guess the "Into The Groove" remix was quite surprising and good at the time, right? Also, the "Where's The Party" one elevates the track, the edit would have made a great single mix.

40 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I didn't grow up with the old 80s concept of remixes (mostly extended versions with little things added, more than completely reinvented ones), so when I discovered "You Can Dance" in 1999-2000 I found it a little boring, to be honest. I was used to the whole "let's change the song completely" remixes vibe of the 90s.

Now I can appreciate the effort and the mixes but still don't loooove it. It's fine to me. I guess the "Into The Groove" remix was quite surprising and good at the time, right? Also, the "Where's The Party" one elevates the track, the edit would have made a great single mix.

I think Who's That Girl was the first song to have a complete remake on the maxi-single, and then gradually more and more songs were remade.

When Jump was released I was surprised to see a regular extended version of the album version. :)

1 hour ago, Celebration said:

Well, there are fans who don't like the classics, and that's okay. :)

You're right.  In fact, I recall not really caring for it when I first heard it back in the day.  But I've warmed up to it over the years.  It's a nice groove and indeed a classic.  But I can see how some my be bored of the track. I think that is how I felt at first. I also felt similar with Everybody at first.  I think felt like both songs sorta dragged on.  :)

On 6/7/2023 at 7:53 AM, Celebration said:

I can't pick a favorite song from this album. I love all remixes.

The song I always skip is the snooze-fest Physical Attraction. I'm surprised by the love it has recieved on this forum.

There's actually a few classics that I don't really love.  I don't necessarily hate them either, but I feel pretty meh about Holiday, Take a Bow, the original version of Like A Virgin, a couple others.

But you're SO wrong about Physical Attraction, lol.  😜

8 minutes ago, sbrombolessio said:

It is hard to say if I love more ITG or WTP.

Shep created 2 masterpieces.

Shep worked miracles. At first I didn’t like Express Yourself or Where’s the Party too much, and he turned them into two of my favorite Madonna songs.

That’s the reason why I prefer her singles and maxi-singles over her albums (until 2005). After the Confessions era, I rarely prefer remixes over the album versions.

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

Shep worked miracles. At first I didn’t like Express Yourself or Where’s the Party too much, and he turned them into two of my favorite Madonna songs.

That’s the reason why I prefer her singles and maxi-singles over her albums (until 2005). After the Confessions era, I rarely prefer remixes over the album versions.

The extended version of Jump is great though.

4 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I agree. But the extended version is not a remix. It's just an extended version of the album version. The last time I preferred a remix was with 4 Minutes and Give It 2 Me.

It's Girl Gone Wild and Turn Up the Radio for me.  But I do like what they did with a number of her singles afterwards, when remixing, etc.  For instance, Ghosstown, I love the added instrumentations on a few mixes, but the slowing down of her vocals are like nails on a chalkboard for me. It's almost nauseous.  They did that slow down effect on a couple other songs over the years and I just hate it.  I will say I was impressed with the I Rise mixes, but I found the inclusion of Emma González speech/words in the remixes annoying.  It was fine in the original, but the way they mixed her in many of the remixes, just was too much. 

29 minutes ago, tscott said:

It's Girl Gone Wild and Turn Up the Radio for me.  But I do like what they did with a number of her singles afterwards, when remixing, etc.  For instance, Ghosstown, I love the added instrumentations on a few mixes, but the slowing down of her vocals are like nails on a chalkboard for me. It's almost nauseous.  They did that slow down effect on a couple other songs over the years and I just hate it.  I will say I was impressed with the I Rise mixes, but I found the inclusion of Emma González speech/words in the remixes annoying.  It was fine in the original, but the way they mixed her in many of the remixes, just was too much. 

What I don’t like about current remixes is that they change the song excessively, so much so that sometimes the voice doesn’t match the music. I loved it when they completely changed the instrumentation, but it was still the same song, like Express Yourself, Fever, Nothing Really Matters, Frozen, Beautiful Stranger, etc, etc, etc.

1 minute ago, Aiwa08 said:

What I don’t like about current remixes is that they change the song excessively, so much so that sometimes the voice doesn’t match the music. I liked it when they completely changed the instrumentation, but it was still the same song, like Express Yourself, Fever, Nothing Really Matters, Frozen, Beautiful Stranger, etc, etc, etc.

I agree; I don't like how they change the instrumentation excessively.  Though I felt NRM was one of the first songs that did that.  I also felt Human Nature remixes did somewhat as well.  Then again, I'm old school and I simply enjoyed the "Extended Mixes" done in the 80's.  We started see a bit more diversity in how her songs were mixed, especially starting with LAP, but they weren't so diverse that they sounded like a totally different song.

11 minutes ago, tscott said:

I agree; I don't like how they change the instrumentation excessively.  Though I felt NRM was one of the first songs that did that.  I also felt Human Nature remixes did somewhat as well.  Then again, I'm old school and I simply enjoyed the "Extended Mixes" done in the 80's.  We started see a bit more diversity in how her songs were mixed, especially starting with LAP, but they weren't so diverse that they sounded like a totally different song.

Oh, I loved when they transformed a slow song into a dance song. But now the remixes are noises with the vocals added randomly. I also miss the extended versions.

56 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Oh, I loved when they transformed a slow song into a dance song. But now the remixes are noises with the vocals added randomly. I also miss the extended versions.

It's not so much of taking a slow song and making it into a dance song, that bothers me.  It's when they actually take the vocals and slow them down even more for the mix. I can't remember which of the Ghosttown mixes they did, but at those moments, it makes me feel physically nauseating at times.

But at the same time, I like a lot of the sounds and such they added to some of those mixes, turning them into a dance song.