Madonna's particular fascination with black clothing.

chaosmen1984mk

Madonna's taste for clothes of this color is undeniable. It is something that we can verify if we start to review her tour wardrobes, her music videos, her public appearances, her social networks and even by seeing her perform such everyday activities as going to the airport, going to the supermarket or riding a bicycle.

madonna10000.thumb.jpg.e3da4e768b1f915fc48a23df5cbb1725.jpg

The color black cannot be missing even when it does not predominate in clothing and will be represented by a hat, boots or glasses with this color.

madonna200.thumb.jpg.16ce6a49718a636236023c726ee051cc.jpg

But when we discover that the fascination with the use of this color is also applied to her underwear, that is when we begin to be curious to know the true reasons for this particular custom.

madonna300.thumb.jpg.57787234d7deb2922d94c62076db6ff0.jpg

If we start to find out the meaning of the use of the color black when dressing, we will find countless explanations, like any subjective topic, ranging from wanting to look elegant and sophisticated, the desire to protect oneself from bad energies, as a symbol of power and even related to satanism and the dark arts. So, what is the real reason that leads Madonna to use this color of clothing so excessively?

I have nothing against the color black. Personally, I think that wearing clothes of this color can effectively make you look sexy and elegant. But sticking to one color ends up turning her into a monotonous and predictable woman when it comes to her wardrobe. Madonna should be more versatile and risky in her wardrobe and wear clothes of other colors more frequently. On the few occasions in which she has decided to completely dispense with the color black in her wardrobe, the results have been spectacular. Will this 2023 tour be the perfect occasion to break this strange custom? Only time will tell.

madonna400.thumb.jpg.fee2ee3a92356ce5309a5eaaf9ed9638.jpg

not sure about the color, but i have noticed that in the last decade or so her costumes have become much more blingy, with a lot of crystals, tiaras, patters, and bling of any kind... she used to have an extravagant style, but it always bordered minimalism, as flashy as it was.

Most people wear black regularly as its the most flattering colour for clothes. It also goes well with any other item of clothing or footwear so it's convenient on a day to day basis. We are inclined to be more adventurous when dressing up for a special occasion as more thought will be put into the way we look. Madonna even more so as she will have people styling/advising her.

I have to chuckle at those who are critical of her clothing style, especially when she's just out and about.  I mean; how many of us on our lounging days or times when we aren't doing anything that special just dress for comfort?  Some as go as far as criticize her for wearing the same outfit more than once, especially when she's going to the airport or just hanging out.  I'm pretty sure most of us don't go past a week or two without wearing the same article of clothing at some point.  I know I have certain jeans and shirts I sport nearly on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. And if I am at home, don't dare come visiting because I might be clashing or possibly not wearing anything at all. LOL!

I think thinking she has some "fascination" with black clothing is quite embellished.  There are far more celebrities who just wear black almost anytime, than Madonna.  And let's think over the years, what she's sacrificed when wearing such outfits over the decades. Especially on stage, namely tight outfits and the high heeled shoes. 

Black is flattering to a lot of people, so that's why many resort to it.  Some just feel comfortable and secure when wearing it.  It's also very slimming and easy to match with other clothing.

Under stage lights black is probably the best color to go as it doesn't change by the the color of the light. I'd expect a lot of black costumes for the tour.

I couldn't care less about her clothes in these paparazzi photos. I became a fan at the time of the daily gym photos with the tracksuit ensamble, at least now it's not so boring. :Madonna020:

8 minutes ago, McDonna said:

I think thinking she has some "fascination" with black clothing is quite embellished.  There are far more celebrities who just wear black almost anytime, than Madonna.  And let's think over the years, what she's sacrificed when wearing such outfits over the decades. Especially on stage, namely tight outfits and the high heeled shoes. 

Black is flattering to a lot of people, so that's why many resort to it.  Some just feel comfortable and secure when wearing it.  It's also very slimming and easy to match with other clothing.

Oh really? My observation regarding her wardrobe is quite objective and to prove it, just type Madonna's name in the corresponding search engine and the vast majority of the photos that will appear will be Madonna wearing black clothing. Something that doesn't happen when I write the name of other music legends like Christina Aguilera or Taylor Swift whose photos will show a wide variety of colors in terms of their wardrobes.

I look at photos of Beyonce and Taylor Swift's outfits from their respective 2023 tours and I'm impressed by the wide variety of colors. I would only like Madonna to use brighter and warmer colors on this new tour whose context will be celebration and partying and no longer the persistent theme of the journey from darkness to light that is already becoming repetitive at this point.

1 hour ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

Madonna's taste for clothes of this color is undeniable. It is something that we can verify if we start to review her tour wardrobes, her music videos, her public appearances, her social networks and even by seeing her perform such everyday activities as going to the airport, going to the supermarket or riding a bicycle.

madonna10000.thumb.jpg.e3da4e768b1f915fc48a23df5cbb1725.jpg

The color black cannot be missing even when it does not predominate in clothing and will be represented by a hat, boots or glasses with this color.

madonna200.thumb.jpg.16ce6a49718a636236023c726ee051cc.jpg

But when we discover that the fascination with the use of this color is also applied to her underwear, that is when we begin to be curious to know the true reasons for this particular custom.

madonna300.thumb.jpg.57787234d7deb2922d94c62076db6ff0.jpg

If we start to find out the meaning of the use of the color black when dressing, we will find countless explanations, like any subjective topic, ranging from wanting to look elegant and sophisticated, the desire to protect oneself from bad energies, as a symbol of power and even related to satanism and the dark arts. So, what is the real reason that leads Madonna to use this color of clothing so excessively?

I have nothing against the color black. Personally, I think that wearing clothes of this color can effectively make you look sexy and elegant. But sticking to one color ends up turning her into a monotonous and predictable woman when it comes to her wardrobe. Madonna should be more versatile and risky in her wardrobe and wear clothes of other colors more frequently. On the few occasions in which she has decided to completely dispense with the color black in her wardrobe, the results have been spectacular. Will this 2023 tour be the perfect occasion to break this strange custom? Only time will tell.

madonna400.thumb.jpg.fee2ee3a92356ce5309a5eaaf9ed9638.jpg

Just pointing out that black is not a colour lol 

12 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

Oh really? My observation regarding her wardrobe is quite objective and to prove it, just type Madonna's name in the corresponding search engine and the vast majority of the photos that will appear will be Madonna wearing black clothing. Something that doesn't happen when I write the name of other music legends like Christina Aguilera or Taylor Swift whose photos will show a wide variety of colors in terms of their wardrobes.

I look at photos of Beyonce and Taylor Swift's outfits from their respective 2023 tours and I'm impressed by the wide variety of colors. I would only like Madonna to use brighter and warmer colors on this new tour whose context will be celebration and partying and no longer the persistent theme of the journey from darkness to light that is already becoming repetitive at this point.

You can have any observation or opinion of this topic you posted as you please.  It still doesn't change that you are greatly embellishing her attraction to black. 

I personally think in most cases, she looks great in black and always has done so on stage.  More than not, out of 4 decades of tours, she's had a lot of colorful and fun outfits, other than black.  And I assume, she will have some colorful outfits on this tour as well.  All in all, you're cherry picking here.  While I agree, she's worn a lot of black throughout her career, I can also post just as much colorful and vibrant outfits she's worn over the years!

9 hours ago, Voguerista said:

I don’t think Madonna is being monotonous or predictable by wearing black a lot. I think she’s just comfortable wearing that color the most. Personally, I love wearing black the most too!  

"And you can dance,
for information....."

By the time of the, 'C'mon',
you'd regularly see the black clothed and previously uninterested run to the dancefloor.
Goths running = a site to behold.
Only Madonna could make that happen.

In pigmentation black is the sum of all the colours, so it's not considered a colour per se but a KEY color as in CMYK.

Black is a neutral color. A base. You can use white or black as a main and then add accentuates colors to create contrast.

You can do complimentary  base and colour (ie red-black, white-blue) You can do a base and two colours (black- red/orange) And so on

It's a simple staple to dress up. White is not the most easy colour to maintain in everyday life so black tends to be a safe base for most part of the people.

Top of that. Black works well in sportswear it doesn't show stains or sweat. Black looks well in professional wear, makes people look smart and neutral. Black looks wear in fancy wear, even basic cuts can make you look smarter.

It's the most chosen colour in any e-commerce and  merch products. it works well. I don't see why Madonna will operate different than the rest of the world tbh.

On 10/9/2023 at 6:42 PM, androiduser said:

not sure about the color, but i have noticed that in the last decade or so her costumes have become much more blingy, with a lot of crystals, tiaras, patters, and bling of any kind... she used to have an extravagant style, but it always bordered minimalism, as flashy as it was.

It is correct but the color black continues to predominate in most of her costumes to this day. Whether Madonna already had this predilection for clothing of this color throughout her life or whether it began at the same time as her search for fame, money and success is something I have not yet had time to find out.

On 10/9/2023 at 7:11 PM, Blue Jean said:

Most people wear black regularly as its the most flattering colour for clothes. It also goes well with any other item of clothing or footwear so it's convenient on a day to day basis. We are inclined to be more adventurous when dressing up for a special occasion as more thought will be put into the way we look. Madonna even more so as she will have people styling/advising her.

It's true. The color black combines with any color as long as both colors have the same or similar proportion in the clothing. But that part where you say most people wear all black... are you sure? From my personal experience it is not something I see on the street often. Neither black nor any other color. But undoubtedly those who do so will surely be due to lack of time or some emergency and that will help them escape public scrutiny since we cannot go out wearing the first thing we see. It is our personal image that is at stake and we must always look impeccable.

On 10/9/2023 at 6:43 PM, Voguerista said:

I don’t think Madonna is being monotonous or predictable by wearing black a lot. I think she’s just comfortable wearing that color the most. Personally, I love wearing black the most too!  

If in 80 percent of your public appearances you tend to wear completely or partially black, unfortunately you will become a predictable person in the eyes of others in terms of your wardrobe. As predictable as saying that Madonna will sing Vogue again on this new 2023 tour and on other future tours since she has sung it so many times in the past that anyone could bet that she will sing it again even if it were not a tour that is based on her greatest successes. They are the rules of statistics. It's like that.

43 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

If in 80 percent of your public appearances you tend to wear completely or partially black, unfortunately you will become a predictable person in the eyes of others in terms of your wardrobe. As predictable as saying that Madonna will sing Vogue again on this new 2023 tour and on other future tours since she has sung it so many times in the past that anyone could bet that she will sing it again even if it were not a tour that is based on her greatest successes. They are the rules of statistics. It's like that.

It may be predictable and yet, Madonna is  one of THE most unpredictable people on earth. Predictability, rules of statistics or not, I feel Black is definitely one of her best colors. I feel it’s that way for just about everyone. It’s slenderizing and class… and people look and feel good in it. In the end, that’s all that matters. 

Adding: thanks for this discussion @chaosmen1984mk. I’m very much enjoying it. I use to work in women’s clothing. The subject of black came up a lot. Sales very much favored black. But you do make a good argument. I do like Madonna in other colors too. 

On 10/10/2023 at 4:25 AM, Brendanlovesu1 said:

Screenshot_20231010_041932_Chrome.jpg

papped in London last night at a hotel

Well, I am not a fashion expert nor do I claim to be, but since someone posted this photograph, I don't know with what intention, I will take the liberty of analyzing it.

The color black and orange combine very well, we all know that, but I feel that on this occasion Madonna does not get it right in terms of the combination of the clothes. The almost total predominance of the color black ends up practically overshadowing the color orange when the distribution between both colors should be more equitable. Maybe if she took off that black jacket and let that orange hood show off in all its splendor she would look much better. Even some orange gloves would have added an unusual and extravagant touch to herwardrobe.

As someone said, it is unusual to see Madonna in orange but it is one of the most risky colors when it comes to dressing and I would like to see her wearing that color a little more or similar ones like amber or jade. Bright colors that transmit positivity and not so much dark colors that may make you look elegant but at the same time they are very cold colors and associated with negative feelings.

On 10/10/2023 at 1:14 AM, TheGoth said:

Perhaps more importantly, should be the question; who's business is it?

I'm totally sure that it's none of your business. But remember that we are in a Madonna forum and we can talk about anything related to her. On this occasion it is simply her predilection for using a certain color in her wardrobe. Therefore, empty comments like yours that do not contribute anything to the topic are unnecessary in this place.