Rupaul's feud with Madonna

On 3/3/2024 at 4:56 AM, Pretender1978 said:

Isn't it also a bit sad for al these minor celebrities to have to release these biographies for a quick buck and all anyone is ever interested in is what little tidbits you have to share about celebrities bigger than you.

I have very little words for the hypocracy which is RuPaul, just that I once bought into the idea that he was sincere and not this conservative self serving capitalist

Now I don't particularly love Rupaul myself, but someone with 14 Emmy's and has appeared on Time's list of 100 most influential people in the world is not a "minor" celebrity.  Rupaul isn't even just "gay famous" considering the amount of straight women that watch his show and is easily the most recognizable drag queen in the world.  Let's not live in a bubble.

Having said that, my favourite story about Ru is this quote from him:

'"I remember once I had this place that overlooked the Hudson River, and I saw this guy on a sailboat and it had capsized and I went to the phone thinking, 'I've got to call someone.' But then I thought, 'What's the best thing I can do? You know what? I'm gonna pray for this person. I'm gonna send them loving energy.'  He does not say whether the man survived."

It was in a buzzfeed article in a section about watching the New York City nightlife changing and totally unclear about whether it's a metaphor or not.  I get the feeling he's totally ruthless and have no issues imagining this actually happened lol.  Terrible person.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/patrickstrudwick/this-is-what-happens-when-you-interview-rupaul-and-he-throws#.ns0GM2aag

We’ve heard this story about their encounter already so I won’t add my two cents about that in particular. But I will say that I’m sick and tired of people faulting Madonna for not being nice. It’s the single most boring thing about celebrities today. Never wanting to cause a scene or ruffle a few feathers.

Can you imagine being a woman in the late 70’s/early 80’s and navigating the music industry? Imagine being 65 and navigating it now. The 💥MEN💥 behind the scene's pulling the strings, who own the labels, who cut the checks, are completely misogynistic lawless MONSTERS! I’m thrilled that Madonna isn’t ‘nice’.  If she was, with her self admitted limited abilities, she’d be eaten alive. We wouldn’t have the game changer we have today without her being a calculating, stone cold bitch when it comes to her business dealings and artistic integrity. So she gave you a weird look…deal with it. She told a few kids to fuck off when she had dinner with Michael Jackson…so what? Not to mention, she’s old school NYC bitch! The one Giuliani took away from us. The one where people actually got in your face if they had a problem with you. Yeah, she’s a bitch. She, along with any other woman that the public  love to shit on for not being nice (Jlo 👀 ), don’t owe you niceness. 

Thank God she’s not nice.

On 3/6/2024 at 6:00 AM, SecretProject said:

We’ve heard this story about their encounter already so I won’t add my two cents about that in particular. But I will say that I’m sick and tired of people faulting Madonna for not being nice. It’s the single most boring thing about celebrities today. Never wanting to cause a scene or ruffle a few feathers.

Can you imagine being a woman in the late 70’s/early 80’s and navigating the music industry? Imagine being 65 and navigating it now. The 💥MEN💥 behind the scene's pulling the strings, who own the labels, who cut the checks, are completely misogynistic lawless MONSTERS! I’m thrilled that Madonna isn’t ‘nice’.  If she was, with her self admitted limited abilities, she’d be eaten alive. We wouldn’t have the game changer we have today without her being a calculating, stone cold bitch when it comes to her business dealings and artistic integrity. So she gave you a weird look…deal with it. She told a few kids to fuck off when she had dinner with Michael Jackson…so what? Not to mention, she’s old school NYC bitch! The one Giuliani took away from us. The one where people actually got in your face if they had a problem with you. Yeah, she’s a bitch. She, along with any other woman that the public  love to shit on for not being nice (Jlo 👀 ), don’t owe you niceness. 

Thank God she’s not nice.

A woman can be assertive without being a low-vibrational cunt to people. Exhibit A: Kylie Minogue.

Let's stop celebrating a version of herself that even she now deplores.

*Insert Nothing Really Matters lyrics here*

4 hours ago, adirondak said:

Why? I don’t think he’s insinuating drag is bad, rather that Ru is doing the same thing he’s criticizing - dressing up performatively, having fun, wearing things that are provocative.

Exactly. That’s the absurdity of it. There’s something misogynistic about his view. He is attacking Madonna for doing what she does at her age yet he dresses up as a woman and performs at around the same age. So a 63 year old man can impersonate female performers but an actual woman at 65 shouldn’t be performing?

5 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Exactly. That’s the absurdity of it. There’s something misogynistic about his view. He is attacking Madonna for doing what she does at her age yet he dresses up as a woman and performs at around the same age. So a 63 year old man can impersonate female performers but an actual woman at 65 shouldn’t be performing?

And yet he has the nerve to tell the world he doesn't use makeup.

tumblr_nit6mwqXYN1twxrzto1_500.gif

On 3/3/2024 at 1:22 AM, Blue Jean said:

The show is targeted toward young bitchy gays under 40. Sadly RP is projecting because everything that bugs him about Madonna is true of himself.

If only the ENTIRE WORLD could grasp this one thing. 

We would live in a different place. This thread would also look MUCH different. :Madonna003:

It's so easy to be sucked in to low level thinking. 

On 3/10/2024 at 11:34 AM, adirondak said:

Why? I don’t think he’s insinuating drag is bad, rather that Ru is doing the same thing he’s criticizing - dressing up performatively, having fun, wearing things that are provocative.

Can we be real here?

His critique about Madonna relates to how she behaves even beyond the stage.

Drag is inherently an exaggeration and a transparent artifice that everyone is in on.

Ru constantly shows up as his non-drag self, so the delineation is very clear.

Equating the two is a reach only a defensive Madonna stan would make.

4 hours ago, Starchild said:

Can we be real here?

Drag is inherently an exaggeration and a transparent artifice that everyone is in on.

Madonna doesn't show up in her boustier to pick up her kids at soccer... There's a delineation with her too, it's just not crossing genders so less obvious. He also specifically mentioned performance. 

7 hours ago, Starchild said:

Can we be real here?

People defending Madonna on a Madonna fan board? How absurd!

6 hours ago, adirondak said:

Madonna doesn't show up in her boustier to pick up her kids at soccer... There's a delineation with her too, it's just not crossing genders so less obvious. He also specifically mentioned performance. 

He didn't specify performance. He just added "chasing arena tours" to the list (which is a part of the quote that I don't get).

"And, when you're against the flow, it doesn't look right, it doesn't feel right. The energy around the Madonna thing–it feels weird, right?" said Ru, calling out Madonna for "chasing arena tours and grills in your teeth." He added, "I'm not interested in appealing to eleven-to-twenty-five-year-olds... I can, on a bigger level, as a mother... It's a different relationship–I'm not trying to be them."

Yes, to most of us on this forum, the energy has felt weird for a while now, and the grills are distracting and lame as hell.

It boils down to the old 'ageing tastefully' VS 'let people devolve into whatever vision they have for themselves' argument.

But of course, Madonna does it all out of pure altruism for future generations of woman, not merely for her own vanity...

I like that stubborn rebel in her, but she's been rebelling herself into a distorted ageist corner for some time now.

13 hours ago, Starchild said:

He didn't specify performance.

The reporter specified he was referring to performance and Ru himself talked about the stage. I'm not  sure what's causing the disconnect for you.

Even if he was referring to off the stage, it makes no sense. Have you ever seen Madonna at the airport? Or when she used to go to David's soccer games in Portugal? There's a clear delineation as well. 

4 hours ago, adirondak said:

The reporter specified he was referring to performance and Ru himself talked about the stage. I'm not  sure what's causing the disconnect for you.

Even if he was referring to off the stage, it makes no sense. Have you ever seen Madonna at the airport? Or when she used to go to David's soccer games in Portugal? There's a clear delineation as well. 

You're grasping at straws.

1 hour ago, Starchild said:

You're grasping at straws.

Well you're free to your opinion, but whenever we get glimpses of Madonna's personal life, she's wearing normal clothing. I still remember the tracksuit years. I think we just see less of her personal life now, and mostly see her when she's going to events or performing. 

18 hours ago, Starchild said:

I'm not even a RuPaul fan but this is clearly a spiteful statement just because you're bruised on behalf of your queen.

18 hours ago, Starchild said:

I'm not even a RuPaul fan but this is clearly a spiteful statement just because you're bruised on behalf of your queen.

:Madonna035: