Madonna and Dallas Austin

She addressed Dallas while he was in the audience of her April 1st show in Atlanta, mentioning that she was in love with him during the making of Bedtime Stories.

I love that she brought up that album as it's probably one of her most disregarded ones, sadly. It also inspired me to want to look into their relationship a bit more.

I came across this series of photos of them at an NBA game during the period of the album's creation, and the below two interviews where Dallas mentions her.

What else do we know about their relationship (working or otherwise), and was it Dallas that she said had a big ego in a letter at the time, or someone else?

1994-nba-atlanta-abril-4.jpg?w=NaN&h=

10 hours ago, LongIslandTea said:

I remember WB forced her to work with Dallas Austin & Dave Hall.

I don't believe that's accurate.

I recall her saying that it was Dave Hall who was 'forced' on her, whereas she was already a fan of Dallas' work with TLC and Joi's The Pendulum Vibe.

53 minutes ago, Starchild said:

Does anyone here know her circa '94 hand-written letter to a producer about another producer that I am referring to?

Edit: Come to think of it, I think it was to Dallas about Shep?

https://genius.com/Madonna-letter-to-pat-leonard-lyrics

There was a letter she wrote to Pat Leonard prior to Ray of Light where she complained about Nellee Hooper’s ego as she apparently considered using him for that album.

I could swear she complained about him circa Bedtime Stories as well being unprofessional- showing up whenever, being not fully knowledgable technologically to the point that she allegedly had to jump behind the mixing board at times.

4 hours ago, Starchild said:

I don't believe that's accurate.

I recall her saying that it was Dave Hall who was 'forced' on her, whereas she was already a fan of Dallas' work with TLC and Joi's The Pendulum Vibe.

Sorry, it's Dave Hall only.

Madonna will later say in an interview that she wanted to work with Dallas Austin because she “just loved” the work he did with Joi Cardwell on The Pendulum Vibe.

In the same interview, she also said she didn't really want to work with Dave Hall, but her record company made her. She said after she got together with him, she liked him alot.

5 hours ago, MikeyK said:

https://genius.com/Madonna-letter-to-pat-leonard-lyrics

There was a letter she wrote to Pat Leonard prior to Ray of Light where she complained about Nellee Hooper’s ego as she apparently considered using him for that album.

I could swear she complained about him circa Bedtime Stories as well being unprofessional- showing up whenever, being not fully knowledgable technologically to the point that she allegedly had to jump behind the mixing board at times.

That's the one. Thank you for sharing it and answering my question.

I remember reading a copy of the original letter on Madonna's Ashram, way back in the day.

2 hours ago, musicinferno said:

Speaking of egos.... Kind of off topic... Remember how she said Pharrell made her cry while recording Hard Candy? I actually like that story cause tbh she needed someone to put her in her place. 

I honestly think may have told her she was singing off rhythm or something. Justin and Timberland actually do the same in an interview but they say it in way that makes it sound good. 

2 hours ago, musicinferno said:

Speaking of egos.... Kind of off topic... Remember how she said Pharrell made her cry while recording Hard Candy? I actually like that story cause tbh she needed someone to put her in her place. 

i remember in an interview for the album, madonna said that pharrell see her cry...... for her divorce........ if pharrell make her cry he was not nice at all...... with the divorce and all the shit she was going through........

4 hours ago, musicinferno said:

Just like how WB made the decision which single to be released (Music / 4 Minutes as 1st single) rather than let her make the choices (WIFLFAG / Candy Shop as 1st single).

Look what happened to all 3 LN albums where no one help to QC.

6 minutes ago, LongIslandTea said:

Just like how WB made the decision which single to be released (Music / 4 Minutes as 1st single) rather than let her make the choices (WIFLFAG / Candy Shop as 1st single).

Look what happened to all 3 LN albums where no one help to QC.

sometimes you need someone who is outside your creative process .......