MadonnaInfinity -- Best Madonna Song COUNTDOWN

MeantToBeIconic

[updated] Results recap so far:

Many THANKS to MeantToBeIconic for taking the time in compiling the results!!!

1. Evita: 2/15[13%]: Another Suitcase in Another Hall[79]/Lament[71]

I'm not sure if you caught it, but we're only doing the three singles and Lament from Evita, mainly because @@Fighter raised a good point saying that these aren't her songs.

I'm not sure if you caught it, but we're only doing the three singles and Lament from Evita, mainly because @@Fighter raised a good point saying that these aren't her songs.

Ok, if the boss says so, I accept the Evita exclusions. :wink:

As for the last round:

BURNING UP did it really well, so its inclusion in the RHT setlist has a point...

:Madonna004:

CAUSING A COMMOTION is a younger brother to Into the groove, maybe not as handsome, but lost with honors.

KEEP IT TOGETHER sounds dated now, however his arrangement is a tribute to Motown and funk and it could really be reworked. I think it owes part of its success to his faboulous rendition in Blond Ambition. Exactly the same for FUTURE LOVERS (and the Donna Summer insert is magnetic) and exactly the opposite for HUMAN NATURE: it's perfect, but everybody is tired of it at the moment... maybe even Madonna after Coachella 2015!

:Madonna051:

INSIDE OUT: another fan favourite. It could have scored higher if the demo was released. I don't know why, I used to listen to it all the time, but the final version starts very well but is a lot more repetitive.

And then many ballads are going, as always... Crazy for you, I still got chill when she dedicated to the fans in RIT :hearteyes:

I have never understood how Human Nature is listenable to anyone, and while Skin (essentially Words part 2) is a fan favorite, it is a rambling mess that sounds very much of its time. The late 90s are slippery slope. Everyone thought electronic music was becoming meaningful. It wasn't. 

BAN ME for that, and you betta stop proclaiming your Madonna love! 

I have never understood how Human Nature is listenable to anyone, and while Skin (essentially Words part 2) is a fan favorite, it is a rambling mess that sounds very much of its time. The late 90s are slippery slope. Everyone thought electronic music was becoming meaningful. It wasn't. BAN ME for that, and you betta stop proclaiming your Madonna love!

Sorry but.. How is Skin a Words part 2? They are 2 completely different concepts, musically and lyrics wise.About Human Nature, while you may not like it, others (me included) may enjoy it, so there's no need to act this "surprised" if someone else, unlike you, likes it.

I have never understood how Human Nature is listenable to anyone, and while Skin (essentially Words part 2) is a fan favorite, it is a rambling mess that sounds very much of its time. The late 90s are slippery slope. Everyone thought electronic music was becoming meaningful. It wasn't. 

BAN ME for that, and you betta stop proclaiming your Madonna love! 

Just because you gave a large amount of her songs a 4 or lower does not make you an Expert Critic. You are more than welcome to share your opinions, but sharing them in a way that doesn't belittle those who like a song or, for your sake, makes you sound like a pretentious art student who has "everything figured out" would be appreciated by everyone who reads this thread. This is just supposed to be fun game! Remember that this is in no way official and these results matter 0% in the long run.  :Madonna005:

Just because you gave a large amount of her songs a 4 or lower does not make you an Expert Critic. You are more than welcome to share your opinions, but sharing them in a way that doesn't belittle those who like a song or, for your sake, makes you sound like a pretentious art student who has "everything figured out" would be appreciated by everyone who reads this thread. This is just supposed to be fun game! Remember that this is in no way official and these results matter 0% in the long run.  :Madonna005:

now those are some serious wise words =D

Last round before Top 50! I know @@Dazedmadonna will want to commit suicide after this round, and all of us will be upset about at least one. This one is going to be brutal. Be ready.

We start of with a shock that completely took me by surprise

Posted Image

#59 -- Like A Virgin

Average: 8.25

Highest: 10x3 (@MeantToBeIconic, @@rol1974, and @@rebelheart93)

Lowest: 6x2 (unapologeticheart and stefo)

I was completely in shock at the result of this one. I completely expected this one to be in the Top 20. Didn't doubt it for a second. Yet here it is! This cheeky song is a signature hit, with an instantly recognizable construction. The voice is squeaky, and the lyrics are campy, yet this song has the timeless Madonna charm many of her 80's singles have.

Posted Image

#58 -- Holiday

Average: 8.25

Highest: 11x1 (@@InfinityWithin)

Lowest: 5x1 (@@voguemadonna)

Another surprise. This is the one. The song that got it started. Simple beat, fun lyrics, simple subject, and good vibes. This is the definition of classic Madonna. No many how many times I hear it, I never get tired of it. I expected it breaking Top 50 barely, but... oh well. Still a great tune to just pick yourself up.

And with that, Madonna is our first studio album to leave the rate? Which one is next?

Posted Image

#57 -- Gang Bang

Average: 8.3

Highest: 10x6 (@GHouse, @MeantToBeIconic, @@voguemadonna, @@Re-InventionUK, @@groovyguy, and @@NowRadiate)

Lowest: 4x1 (@sidney78a)

This is my favorite MDNA track. There's something about a song about shooting your lover dead over a dark beat that just speaks to me... Especially an outro as aggressive as this one. The beat is killer, and the monotonous tone helps get the insanity of the song together. As much as I love this song, I do however agree with it's placement. Ouch... I think a part of me died saying that...

@@Dazedmadonna

Posted Image

#56 -- Nobody Knows Me

Average: 8.3

Highest: 10x6 (@@Dazedmadonna, @@groovyguy, @@InfinityWithin, @@NowRadiate, @@rol1974, and @@voguemadonna)

Lowest: 6x1 (@@rebelheart93)

OMG. This song. Probably my second favorite of AL. The electro whining and the beats are production perfection. The lyrics are very conscious, especially the "social disease" line. It's use in tours has always been impeccable, and it's on my dance playlist for good reason. The slow beginning always gets me down a bit if it's in the middle of a higher tempo playlist, but eh. Easily forgotten.

Posted Image 

#55 -- Falling Free

Average: 8.35

Highest: 10x7 (@@groovyguy, @@Re-InventionUK, @@InfinityWithin, @@rebelheart93, @@rol1974, @@voguemadonna, and @unapologeticheart)

Lowest: 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!x1 (@@NowRadiate)

The. production. is. gorgeous. The lyrics present such an aching desperation, and the production  pairs with it on a fantastic depth. On an album like MDNA, I never expected such a sad ballad on a party album. I'm very pleased at how it did in the rate, and it was such a highlight. A great song to get you through those sad nights.

Posted Image

#54 -- Miles Away

Highest: 10x6 (@GHouse, @@rol1974, @devilpray, @@groovyguy, @@Re-InventionUK, and @@Dazedmadonna)

Lowest: 4x1 (@@voguemadonna)

One more Hard Candy track left after this. Two ballads right in a row. Madonna does well on guitar led songs, and with a good beat, she does even better. A song I luckily can't relate to, the meaning and sorrow is presented loud and clear. It sadly under-performed as a single, and is also an underrated one at that.

Posted Image

#53 -- Paradise (Not For Me)

Highest: 10x9 (@MeantToBeIconic, @GHouse, @@Dazedmadonna, @@InfinityWithin, @@groovyguy, @devilpray, @@rol1974, @Fighter, and @carlito76)

Lowest: 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!x1 (@sidney78)

The most realized artsy moment from Music. An interesting blend of strings and synths with a whispered vocal, this is easily one of the most abstract cuts from a Madonna album. Still fitting into the cohesiveness of Music, this song has obviously been a fan favorite of the fandom, and it deserves that.

Posted Image

#52 -- Swim

Highest: 10x5 (@@groovyguy, @GHouse, @@rol1974, @stefo, and @devilpray)

Lowest: 6x1 (@alibaba)

This song sounds kinda like water, flowing and life-giving. The slick guitars and bleeping synths sound very William Orbit, but the lyrics are where this song really excels. It's a more metaphorical social commentary, and the chorus really delivers. It's an instant highlight of Ray of Light, and the fact it never got a performance is tragic.

Posted Image

#51 -- Dress You Up

Highest: 10x3 (@musicinferno, @@Re-InventionUK, and @@NowRadiate)

Lowest: 6x1 (@@voguemadonna)

I actually do not think this song is better than Like A Virgin, but has spawned better performances. The chorus is instantly recognizable. The beginning four hits always get you hooked instantly, and it's a blast of fun energy. A sexy-yet-fun number, this one is probably right where it belongs.

And the last song to leave is the last unreleased song in the countdown, missing Top 50 by one.

Posted Image

#50 -- Across The Sky

Average: 8.4

Highest: 10x6 (@MeantToBeIconic, @GHouse, @@groovyguy, @@Re-InventionUK, @@rol1974, and @@Dazedmadonna)

Lowest: 6x2 (@Fighter and @alibaba)

HOW THE F*CK DID THIS NOT GET ON HARD CANDY HONESTLY JFC

The production of this song fits right in with the rest of the album effortlessly. The lyrics are awesome, and the pre chorus is flawless. Her voice sounds good, and JT provides some excellent backing. A tragic misstep in it's exclusion. This would have easily upgraded the entire album had it been on.

There's that round!!! Discuss the ones that missed out on Top 50! How are you feeling, @@Dazedmadonna?

And here are your Top 50, sorted alphabetically!

1. Drowned World - Substitute For Love1. Erotica1. Hung Up1. I Want You (with Massive Attack)1. Justify My Love1. Like a Prayer1. Living For Love1. Music1. Papa Don't Preach10. Bedtime Story10. Die Another Day10. HeartBreakCity10. Rain10. Spanish Eyes10. The Power of Good-Bye10d. Time Stood Still11. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You11. Don't Cry For Me Argentina11. Easy Ride11. Masterpiece11. Take A Bow12. Vogue17. You Must Love Me2. Devil Pray2. Express Yourself2. Get Together2. Impressive Instant2. Open Your Heart2. Secret24. Additcted3. Ghosttown3. Ray of Light3. Rescue Me3. Sorry4. Deeper and Deeper4. You'll See4.. Live To Tell5. Promise To Try6. Bad Girl6. Into The Groove6. Let It Will Be6. Nothing Fails6. Nothing Really Matters7. Don't Tell Me7. La Isla Bonita7. Sky Fits Heaven8. Jump8. Oh Father9. Frozen

[updated] Results recap so far:

Many THANKS to MeantToBeIconic for taking the time in compiling the results!!!

#50-#59 http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=193904

50 -- Across The Sky [Hard Candy Era]

51 -- Dress You Up [Like a Virgin]

52 -- Swim [Ray of Light]

53 -- Paradise (Not For Me) [Music]

54 -- Miles Away [Hard Candy]

55 -- Falling Free [MDNA]

56 -- Nobody Knows Me [American Life]

57 -- Gang Bang [MDNA]

58 -- Holiday [Madonna]

59 -- Like A Virgin [Like a Virgin]

Previous Results

#60-#109  http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=192611

#110-#139  http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=185872

#140-#199 http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=179895

#200-#268 http://www.madonna-infinity.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3949-madonnainfinity-best-madonna-song-countdown/?p=164289

Album Tally

In Red = Eliminated

In Brown = 1 More track to Elimination

Tracks in Green = Remaining Tracks

Eliminated Albums: [17]Who’s That Girl; [16]Madonna; 

Album Rank / Album Title / # of Eliminated Tracks [% Eliminated] / Total Tracks / Eliminated Tracks

1. Evita: 2/4[50%]: Another Suitcase in Another Hall[79]/Lament[71] /You Must Love me[?]/Don't Cry For me Argentina[?]

2. Like a Prayer6/11[55%]: Act of Contrition [239]; Love Song (with Prince)[ 214] / Dear Jessie[162]/ Till Death Do Us Part[115]/ Cherish[83]/ Keep It Together[68]/Like a Prayer[?]/Express Yourself[?]/Promise To Try[?]/Oh Father[?]/Spanish Eyes[?]

3. True Blue5/9[55.5%]: Love Makes the World Go Round[248] / Jimmy Jimmy[263] / True Blue[149] / White Heat[145]/ Where's The Party?[ 123]/Papa Don't Preach[?]/Open Your Heart[?]/Live To Tell[?]/La Isla Bonita[?]

4. Ray of Light8/14[57%]: Little Star[180] / Candy Perfume Girl[167] / Shanti/Ashtangi[168] / To Have and Not To Hold[153]/ Mer Girl[132]/ Has To Be[96]/ Skin[60]/ Swim[52]/Drowned World - Substitute For Love[?]/Ray of Light[?]/Nothing Really Matters[?]/Sky Fits Heaven[?]/Frozen[?]/The Power of Good-Bye[?]

5. COADF10/15[67%]: Superpop[240] / Fighting Spirit[209] / History[155] / Push[147]/ Isaac[137]/ I Love New York[125]/ Like It Or Not[95]/How High[93]/ Future Lovers[69]/Forbidden Love[62]/Hung Up[?]/Get Together[?]/Sorry[?]/Let It Will Be[?]/Jump[?]

6. Erotica10/14[71%]: Did You Do It?[268] / In This Life[166/ Secret Garden[157] / Bye Bye Baby[152] / Fever[151] / Thief of Hearts[146]/ Words[127]/ Where Life Begins[111]/ Why's It So Hard?[ 103]/ Waiting[101]/Erotica[?]/Deeper and Deeper[?]/Bad Girl[?]/Rain[?]

7. Bedtime Stories8/11[72.7%]: Don't Stop[220] / Survival[174] / I'd Rather Be Your Lover[163]/ Forbidden Love[136]/ Love Tried To Welcome Me[131]/Inside of Me[130]/ Sanctuary[88]/ Human Nature[64]/Secret[?]/Bedtime Story[?]/Take A Bow[?]

7. American Life8/11[72.7%]: I'm So Stupid[134]/ Intervention[120]/ Hollywood[105] /American Life[104] /Love Profusion[98] /X-Static Process[92]/ Mother and Father[80]/ Nobody Knows Me[56]/Nothing Fails[?]/Die Another Day[?]/Easy Ride[?]

9. Something to Remember6/8[75%]: One More Chance[224]; /Veras[219]/Love Don't Live Here Anymore (Remix)[ 194]/ I'll Remember[118]/ I Want You (Orchestral)[ 86]/ This Used To Be My Playground[63]/I Want You (with Massive Attack)[?]/You'll See[?]

10Music10/13[77%]: Cyberraga[184] / Lo Que Siente La Mujer[176] / Nobody's Perfect [172] / Runaway Lover[158] / Amazing[154]/ American Pie[133]/ I Deserve It[119]/ Gone[97]/ What it Feels Like for a Girl[77]/ Paradise (Not For Me)[ 53]/Music[?]/Impressive Instant[?]/Don't Tell Me[?]

11. Rebel Heart20/25[80%]: Autotune Baby[249] / Holy Water[203] / Body Shop[187] / Graffiti Heart[189]/S.E.X.[188] / Illuminati[175] /Queen[142]/ Bitch I'm Madonna (feat. Nicki Minaj)[ 140]/ Veni Vidi Vici (feat. Nas)[ 138]/ Unapologetic Bitch[128]/ Beautiful Scars[117]/Hold Tight[114]/ Borrowed Time[106]/ Best Night[100]/Joan of Arc[99]/Rebel Heart[90]/ Messiah[89]/Iconic (feat. Chance the Rapper & Mike Tyson)[ 85]/ Wash All Over Me[74]/ Inside Out[65]/ Addicted[?]/HeartBreakCity[?]/Devil Pray[?]/Living For Love[?]/Ghosttown[?]

12. Like a Virgin9/10[90%]: Pretender[238]; Stay[243]; Shoo-Bee-Doo[256]; Over and Over[191] / Love Don't Live Here Anymore[144]/ Angel[122]/ Material Girl[107]/ Like A Virgin[59]/Dress You Up[51]/ Into The Groove[?]

13. I’m Breathless11/12[91.7%]: I'm Going Bananas[242] / Cry Baby[264]; He's a Man[195] / More[183] / What Can You Lose[173] / Now I'm Following You (Part II) [170] / Now I'm Following You (Part 1)[ 150]/ Something to Remember[139]/Back In Business[135]/ Hanky Panky[116]/ Sooner or Later[91]/ Vogue[?]

14. Hard Candy12/13[92.3%]Incredible[246] / Spanish Lesson[265] / Ring My Bell[225] / Dance 2Night[202] / Candy Shop[185] / Heartbeat[179] / Beat Goes On (feat. Kanye West)[ 141]/ Voices[113] / She's Not Me[112]/ 4 Minutes[109]/ Give It 2 Me[70]/ Miles Away[54]/ Devil Wouldn't Recognize You[?]

15. MDNA17/18[94%]: Best Friend[247] / Superstar[259] / B-Day Song[267] / Give Me All Your Luvin' (Party Rock Remix)[262] / Some Girls[221] / Give Me All Your Luvin' (feat. Nicki Minaj and M.I.A.)[ 227] / I Fucked Up[181] / Turn Up the Radio[186] / I Don't Give A (feat. Nicki Minaj) [177] / I'm A Sinner[164]/ Love Spent (Acoustic)[ 110]/ Girl Gone Wild[102]/ / I'm Addicted[84]/ Beautiful Killer[81]/ Love Spent[73]/ Gang Bang[57]/Falling Free[55]/ Masterpiece[?]

16.  Madonna8/8[100%]: I Know It [231]; Think of Me[213]/ Physical Attraction[126]/ Everybody[87]/ Borderline[82]/ Lucky Star[72]/ Burning Up[66]/ Holiday[58]

17. Who’s That Girl4 /4[100%]: Can't Stop [245]/ The Look of Love[108]/ Who's That Girl[76]/ Causing a Commotion[67]

I'm not a special fan of LAV, but it's really surprising it didn't make it in the top 20. As I said before, probably some votes were influenced by how tired some fans are of listening to certain songs. My playlist includes Gambler and Supernatural rather than Holiday, but I understand some songs are milestones in Madonna’s catalogue. LAV is more than Dress you up.I won't say anything more about NKM, it is already a knife in @@Dazedmadonna's heart...Some songs in this round are excellent, Swim perfectly defines the spirit of ROL, with its electronic sound mixed with profound lyrics. Maybe it should have stayed in the top 50 instead of Sky fits heaven. But if you take a look at what remains, it is very difficult to arrive in the final 50!Miles away is very good, probably the only fault is the repetitive chorus. It deserved a proper video maybe also using some of the beautiful backdrop ideas. Across the sky is a bit repetitive too, but it had to be included in HC, far better than Spanish Lesson for instance.I would also like to spend a word of praise for MDNA. I'm not a "dancing person", I never go to clubs, but I never got tired of this album. Everytime a M album is released, I listen to it incessantly until I get tired of it and I need another one to be released. When RH came out, I was still listening to MDNA and never got bored. Girl gone wild has that mix of sex and religion that is M's signature, and its chorus stays in your mind immediately, Turn up the radio gives me a sense of freedom and came out in a moment when I really needed to escape, I'm a sinner has a killer bridge with the list of saints (especially in the live variation), Masterpiece... is a Golden Globe masterpiece. Falling free is a little too much the same melody, but M voice is incredible and I would have loved to see it performed live. Gang Bang is pure theatre, it's incredible what they did to the original Mika song which was good too. MDNA was also accompanied by a tour that was better than Hard Candy's S&S, so even if it's not my favourite album and I hate the idea of making essential/extended versions adding tracks in a second cd with no specific order (a formula unfortunately repeated in RH) I think there is still something to save out of it.

All I can say is I truly regret participating in this, and I'd like you to disqualify my votes. Thank you.