MadonnaInfinity Videography Rate -- The Countdown

MeantToBeIconic

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but have you seen 4 Minutes?

I'm sorry but, as I said before, I'm not into the 4 Minutes video. I like the dancing parts, but I don't feel chemistry between Madonna and Justin, and the "thing" (the prism) that is eating the world is ridiculous, I don't like the effect. Some scenes are great visually (bathroom? parking space? dinner table?), but they don't make much sense. I'd be glad if you or anyone would like to give a deeper meaning to the whole thing...

Don't worry all, the #1 spot is safe

Y'all will be strangely happy about this elimination...

Posted Image

#4 -- Vogue

Average: 9.5 (.2 better than LAP, which in this rate, is a ton)
Highest: 11x1 (@@Primul5)

Lowest: 8x4 (@@Gonnabe, @@stormbringer, @@Gargamel, @@Inco)
Iconic. I don't need to say any more, do I? This video has still yet to be topped, for good reason. Intense choreo. Appealing visuals. Appeal to the underground scene. Pretty much any one thing that would make a good music video is amplified to 10 and mixed with a bunch of others. Plus, it gave us great gifs, so....

Don't worry all, the #1 spot is safe

Y'all will be strangely happy about this elimination...

Posted Image

#4 -- Vogue

Average: 9.5 (.2 better than LAP, which in this rate, is a ton)

Highest: 11x1 (@@Primul5)

Lowest: 8x4 (@@Gonnabe, @@stormbringer, @@Gargamel, @@Inco)

Iconic. I don't need to say any more, do I? This video has still yet to be topped, for good reason. Intense choreo. Appealing visuals. Appeal to the underground scene. Pretty much any one thing that would make a good music video is amplified to 10 and mixed with a bunch of others. Plus, it gave us great gifs, so....

Agreed.  I love that gif.   :heart:  10x over

Posted Image

#3 -- Express Yourself

Average: 9.57

Highest: 11x1 (@@stormbringer)

Lowest: 8x2 (@@Gargamel, @@Gonnabe)

Our last 80's video to go, and a CRAZY AWESOME one at that. Crazy cool choreography, inspiration taken from an awesome novel, fantastic imagery, and she looks great. Influencing and being copied by many, but never duplicated, this one is a pure standout from her videography, and has fought for and earned its Top 3 spot.

It's now down to the Top 2, both from the 90's! Will it be...

Bedtime Story????

Posted Image

Or

Frozen????

Posted Image

Place your bets now!!!

I made my own list based on my scores. I can't remember which i went for. I had NRM first, then Frozen and Bedtime Story in 2nd and 3rd but i can't remember which way round, but NRM bit it early, though not too early :-) . Frozen and Bedtime Story both deserve the top 2 spots. Both are visually intetesting and feature excellent special effects. I love the strange freaky, dream sequence that is Bedtime Story and the haunting and mysterious Frozen. I know it's a video countdown, but the songs are also fantastic, and the videos are perfect for both songs.

I have to say I am totally satisfied with the Top5: all the five selected are standout videos in their own way: Bedtime story with its surrealism, Frozen so dark and mysterious, Express yourself with its Metropolis reinterpretation, Like a prayer with its scandalous imagery but also strong political message, Vogue for its classy visuals and wonderful choreography. Probably if I had to choose between Frozen and Bedtime Story I'd go for the latter one, because it's a little more original and needs to be interpreted. But all five deserve to win.

To me EY would probably be no 1. It is, for me, the quintessential Madonna video. It has everything, the double persona (which madonna had played with in almost every video to that point, B, LAV, MG, PDP, LIB, OYH) a story arc that goes with the theme of the song, cultural reference (Metropolis) signature choreo. Just this time upped by 10, those costumes and sets are gorgeous, as is the lighting and the editing. And I think until that point she hadn't looked more beautiful than in this video. What I also love is, that despite of all it's glitz and campyness the symbolism here is much more subtle then let's say, receiving stigmata in a church ;-)