MadonnaInfinity Videography Rate -- The Countdown

MeantToBeIconic

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, she's probably dead by now (next one up tomorrow)

The old lady was great!! .....but you're probably right @@MeantToBeIconic. 😥 Remember where she lived? The "Ol' Kuntz Guest Home"?? LOL 😅😆😂😄 I must have been naive in 2001 as I didn't get the meaning for a few years lol. 😇

Posted Image

#7 -- Justify My Love

Average: 9.06 (a whopping .1 better than WIFLFAG)

Highest:10x15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (@MeantToBeIconic, @@NowRadiate, @@Primul5, @@Enrico, @@Stevo, @@OhMadonna, @@Fighter, @DrumDub, @@kurushitovska, @ElectriclOrus98, @Stefo, @patrice1711, @Brendanlovesu1, @GHouse)

Lowest: 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!x1 (@Inco)

SO MANY TENS WHY. Everyone loves sex, and this video has it in spades. There's so much taboo in one video, it's almost too much to be true. Overall, there somehow manages to be a subtle intimacy to the video that makes it quite a thing to watch. That, and all the crazy imagery.

I won't be original in my comment, this video is absolutely flawless! Every single shot is of stunning beauty! So hypnotic, so haunting from the beginning to the end! (just like the song)! 

Not easy to find something clever to say in this thread since @@MeantToBeIconic always describes the videos perfectly! 

Oh, and by the way, I'd be curious to know why @@Inco gave this masterpiece a 0   >.<

I think JML is kinda great. I've never found it shocking or naughty to be fair. I think it's quite arty, which is enhanced by being shot in black white. Basically black & white = art, colour = sleazy???? Nah I'm just kidding. I think the vibe of the video marries perfectly with the song. I don't think the Erotica video would work as well with JML (the song), same as the JML video wouldn't work as well with Erotica (the song).Also, she's looking smoking hot in the video.

For this one please excuse the LQ gif I used (it was the best one I could find)

Posted Image

#6 -- American Life (Original)

Average: 9.19

Highest: 11x1 (@@Enrico)
Lowest: 7x2 (@@stormbringer, @@Inco)

Quite an improvement from the original, if I do say so myself. YAY VIOLENCE (except this one has purpose). I mean, I can get why she opted to release the flag version, but COME ON. LOOK AT THIS THING. AN ABSOLUTE SPECTACLE IN THE BEST WAY. YOU'VE GOT RUNWAY TRASHING, EDGY-DONNA, AND SOCIAL COMMENTARY. What's not to love?

You've summed it up perfectly again @@MeantToBeIconic. This video and the flag video are like chalk and cheese (that might only be a saying in the UK lol). One is lame, boring and lazy, the other (this one, the TRUE version) is edgy, gutsy, exciting and stylish. I get that she wanted to remove the violence at the time, but instead of pulling the video altogether I'm sure they could of edited the original in such a way to make it less potentially offensive. Im surprised that she didn't include this on the Celebration DVD as Justify My Love and Erotica were included after being banned, and the WIFLFAG video (genius!) was included too and was considered controversial at the time of its release.

I get that she wanted to remove the violence at the time, but instead of pulling the video altogether I'm sure they could of edited the original in such a way to make it less potentially offensive. Im surprised that she didn't include this on the Celebration DVD as Justify My Love and Erotica were included after being banned, and the WIFLFAG video (genius!) was included too and was considered controversial at the time of its release.

All for different reasons, of course, and those reasons became less serious by the time 2009 rolled around. Sex was less taboo, especially female sexuality (to an extent), WIFLFAG, I dare say, was forgotten about? That, and the violence was more female empowerment, which really accelerated in the late 00's. However, no general American market takes kindly to American social critique, so it makes total sense why it was never put on an official DVD.

Let's get our first SHOCK ELIMINATION OF OUR TOP 5 OUT OF THE WAY

EVERYONE'S WINNER PREDICTION WAS SO GODDAMN WRONG LMAO

Posted Image

#5 -- Like a Prayer

Average: 9.28

Highest: 11x1 (@@patrice1711)

Lowest: 7x1 (@@Gargamel)

Hey, I'm just as shocked as you are. Only #5? Only ONE 11? What is going on? I love sacrilegious imagery, so this video is a clear standout. Perhaps the best part about it, however, is how it doesn't seek to do so for the sheer sake of it, but rather a "I believed in this, but have issues with it. Here's what they are". Iconic for a reason. Let down a bit in the rate? Just maybe.

I feel sorry for Like a prayer.

I remember when it came out I was a little scared to watch it because everybody in Italy said it was satanic, I can really laugh of my fears... The video is stunning: strong message, yes provocative but full of thoughts. Madonna dancing with the burning crosses is such a defining image of her career. I am not sure about the final with the theatre curtain, and I've never liked the scene in the chapel: how can she kiss the statue's feet before opening the gate?!

Posted Image

And of course I feel sorry for American Life. I gave it my 11 because the message is so strong. So bad it was withdrawn. I don't understand why Madonna hasn't put it in Celebration, it looks like she hasn't made peace with it. All the videos that came out after this one are pure esthetic with no message, just a promo of the song and nothing more. Some have better photography (Girl gone wild, Sorry), some may be less original (Give it 2 me, Turn up the radio), but the idea of making a video with a message or at least a strong concept (take GMAYL or Jump, for instance) seems to be gone forever. Imo American Life is the last video masterpiece.