Rebel Heart - Album Thread [Happy 1st Birthday!]

groovyguy

I don't understand why Interscope didn't let her do the double-album concept thing. It worked great for Beyoncé and it would've been way more interesting imho. Maybe they would've had a bigger hit on their hands, even if it ended her contract with them. Idiots.

interscope paid $40m for the right to distribute 3 Madonna albums. Do you think a double album could easily have been challenged as the fulfilment of contract early? 

They meant commercially, which is true. It's not a reflection on the quality of the music...

Of course. I agree. But to use the word underwhelm suggests it isn't very good, whereas to describe it as under-performing would have been more appropriate. It is kinda sad though isn't it? The amount of effort she put in to the album, and for it to not set the sales world on fire must be disappointing for her. I do wonder if she somehow inadvertently led more people to download the album illegally by all the teases and all the instagram messages that were clearly designed to hype up the anticipation? The more you tease, the more you'll be bitten! Perhaps fans were overly impatient and wanted to hear it immediately due to how much enticing she'd done in the lead up? Of course, it isn't her fault, hindsight is curious thing, but had the album not leaked, had the instagram disasters not occurred, had Ghosttown been the lead single, had we all been hearing the album as virgins upon release, then I do wonder whether we would be looking at something far more phenomenal. It will be interesting at the latter part of the year, to see exactly, how many fans (if you can call them that - if you're a fan buy her bloody music, don't steal it!) downloaded the album when it leaked.

It's not really hindsight though. In june 2014 I was like "please stop teasing this album on instagram!!", the reason was that there was so much expectation on music forums, blogs, etc, how could it not die down by the time it actually came out? especially with the We Are Superstars fiasco. She shouldn't tease an album again, in fact she shouldn't use social media much in between albums, that also decreases the demand for her as a person. 

The album isn't perfect by any means, but it should've done better. Then again American Life is a great album and it didn't do well either. I suppose Rebel Heart is pretty much the new American Life in a way. Fan favourite, but without interest from the public, and too much negativity and second-guessing around the release.

It's not really hindsight though. In june 2014 I was like "please stop teasing this album on instagram!!", the reason was that there was so much expectation on music forums, blogs, etc, how could it not die down by the time it actually came out? especially with the We Are Superstars fiasco. She shouldn't tease an album again, in fact she shouldn't use social media much in between albums, that also decreases the demand for her as a person. 

The album isn't perfect by any means, but it should've done better. Then again American Life is a great album and it didn't do well either. I suppose Rebel Heart is pretty much the new American Life in a way. Fan favourite, but without interest from the public, and too much negativity and second-guessing around the release.

I really much preferred it when she wasn't on social media at all. One of the greatest things about being a Madonna fan was the enigma, the sense of authority you got when other celebs were telling us they were having beans on toast on twitter, Madonna kept quiet. It kept us all in awe and anticipation. I wish she would close down her instagram account because it is making her just like any other celeb. 

Like yourself, I hated the teases on instagram. It made it feel like the album was released months ago and it took away the excitement that a newly released Madonna album brings. 

Are we sure the double album concept was really in the works? Did really Interscope refuse it to her?

Given that the deal with Interscope is distribution only, I doubt they have their say on album concepts. The double CD thing might have been a cost/manufacturing/marketing issue. But in the end the Super Deluxe comes as a double CD, so it happened anyway. So why would they say no to something that they eventually did?

She barely mentioned it in early interviews, and now she doesn't bring it up. And I read nowhere about a conflict with Interscope.

I'm curious about the original plan, and what the rushed release changed regarding what the album was supposed to be.

Well, concerning your last point. Madonna is prone to tantrums. She has publicly said how bereft she felt when virtually all the demos leaked. She shrugged it off by saying "Anyway, they were old demos, so it doesn't matter."

I have a different theory. Sure, publicly she was putting on a brave face, but privately I think she lost interest and just changed the demos to prove her point about the leaked demos being old versions. The new versions may not have flowed as well as two CD's so the 19 track version was created. If they had left it as the 19 track version then things could have been better, because after "ropegate" on instagram, that album image, as iconic as it is, seemed to be tossed aside in favour of new images, and the appearance of a dumb-ass 14 track version. I still think to call an album Rebel Heart but to not feature it (the song) on the album proper is ludicrous. Surely they could have made the standard 15 tracks? Anyway, that's what I think. 

Edited by wizzywick (see edit history)

3/28 Billboard Charts:

Top Album Sales

1 New Madonna, Rebel Heart

Billboard 200
2. New Madonna, Rebel Heart

Top Current Albums

Digital Albums

Vinyl Albums
2. New Madonna, Rebel Heart

Internet Albums
1. New Madonna, Rebel Heart

Tastemakers

Does not debut on the Dance/Electronic chart. Billboard doesn't think it's Dance/Electronic.

Madonna vaults onto Billboard Artist 100 at #7.

Madonna bursts onto the Billboard Artist 100 chart at No. 7, fueled by sales of her new album Rebel Heart.

The Artist 100 is the first weekly survey dedicated to measuring artist activity across Billboard‘s most influential charts, including the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart, Top Album Sales and the Social 50. The Artist 100 blends data measuring album and track sales, radio airplay, streaming and social media fan interaction to provide a weekly multi-dimensional ranking of artist popularity.

The Queen of Pop arrives on the Artist 100 with almost all (97 percent) of her chart activity from album sales. As previously reported, Rebel Heart bows at No. 1 on Top Album Sales with 116,000 in traditional album sales in the week ending March 15, according to Nielsen Music. (It starts at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 with 130,000 equivalent album units earned.)

Madonna is up by 2,919 percent in overall Artist 100 points. She also gains by 31 percent in social reaction.

Thus, more than three decades into her legendary career, Madonna hits the top 10 on yet another chart; the Artist 100 launched last July.

I really much preferred it when she wasn't on social media at all. One of the greatest things about being a Madonna fan was the enigma, the sense of authority you got when other celebs were telling us they were having beans on toast on twitter, Madonna kept quiet. It kept us all in awe and anticipation. I wish she would close down her instagram account because it is making her just like any other celeb. 

Like yourself, I hated the teases on instagram. It made it feel like the album was released months ago and it took away the excitement that a newly released Madonna album brings. 

Over the years my prospective of M was that she was a goddess. Almost like an amazing enigma something holy and untouchable. Someone that most people put in there mind's up on a pedestal. A star above all star's. Like this magical creature that when you see it blows your mind and amazes you. How special you would feel in her presence. like it was an honor. social media ( instagram ) has destroyed this my Queen in now human, flesh and blood almost pathetic. Every other week taking selfies in the bathroom mirror. Talking about things that she need not comment on teasing us with song titles and stupid sock puppets. Instagram has destroyed the mystique that was so alluring about my queen.