When was the last time Madonna was really relevant to the general public?

Mp1992

I think people is asking when was the last time she was in imperial phase, when commercially and artistically an artist is at the top. To me that was COADF, and she had many moments like that on her carreer. Maybe with the sticky and sweet tour she was a bit like that. But commercially something was missing, artistically she wasn´t doing her best either and we knew it back then.

I love MDNA era, she looked amazing, liked the record, went to the tour which was huge, she was still the queen. But again, something was missing commercialy to consider that an imperial phase, despite the Superbowl, which was huge, but more from a legend point of view than from an artist who is in imperial phase.

After that, I think she wasn´t more present on the charts, didn´t had more top 10 singles, didn´t sold millions, and had good and succesful tours but she was older and view more as a legendary old one than an artist in imperial phase. From the one point of view, it was very unfair, cause on the rebel heart era she was still great on many levels, on the other hand, it´s true maybe the quality of her work had declined a bit, and that had been happening since 2007. Not so much effort on some videoclips, less beautiful photoshoots, tours with the same songs over and over, a very changed face, live performance with no to great vocals, gaining weight, seeing depressed for her son custody, another divas taking the crown, writing songs about losing the crown, Madame x album, Madame x tour cancelation, and those last years befor the new tour, which for me were very bad artistically and I think personally.

Now, this new tour is sure huge, but I don´t think she is right know on imperial phase as she was on say, ROL or Music. It´s more like the legend has returned and people are embracing  it again, thank god. I think that´s the best she can have right know, and despite losing something on her records, not dancing as she did, not looking so athletic as she did, I think she still can do wonders if she maintains that good path. An amazing new record with somebody great, even if it does not sell, would be the next right step, and mantaining that good more natural look of this tour.

As a conclusion, this decline on popularity had to happen sooner or later, as with any artist. But history will put her on a legendary place for sure, much higher than many succesful artists of today whose impact is really nothing compared to her on her hey day, and as somebody said, nobody ever mantained the popularity as she did for 30 years on a pop world that lives of the youthness.

People's positive opinion of Madonna has exponentially increased over the years.  People, overall, respect Madonna and have a nostalgic feeling about her.  People were a lot more hateful 10, 20, 30 years ago.  I find that she is pretty much revered by the general public.  As for getting young people to stream her to number one... it is only natural that they chose there own musical heros.  So many artists highlight her still and that has also rubbed off on people.  Nobody says anything negative to me anymore.  Honestly, I believe that Madonna is relevant to the general public, new hits or not.  

3 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

People's positive opinion of Madonna has exponentially increased over the years.  People, overall, respect Madonna and have a nostalgic feeling about her.  People were a lot more hateful 10, 20, 30 years ago.  I find that she is pretty much revered by the general public.  As for getting young people to stream her to number one... it is only natural that they chose there own musical heros.  So many artists highlight her still and that has also rubbed off on people.  Nobody says anything negative to me anymore.  Honestly, I believe that Madonna is relevant to the general public, new hits or not.  

Exactly.  While I know there are people out there bashing her left and right, but as you stated, she's far more respected these days than when she was at her prime.  Also, she remains to be a polarizing entity.  She doesn't apologize for it and so those people who always took issue with her, will never budge.  At the same time, I've seen and heard a lot of people who have come around, respecting her more. 

Unfortunately, she isn't what people commercially grab onto anymore.  She's had many generations come after her and so of course, she won't be as successful and be on the tip of people's tongues anymore.  Still, she's active enough that people are still noticing her and learning about the things she's accomplished. Every generation tend to put older artists out to pasture. We all did it when we were younger, and that doesn't change now.

3 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

People's positive opinion of Madonna has exponentially increased over the years.  People, overall, respect Madonna and have a nostalgic feeling about her.  People were a lot more hateful 10, 20, 30 years ago. 

Lucky you ! Here in France 20 years ago most people talked about her with huge respect, saying she was an example, always ahead of trends, looking sporty and healthy, making good music etc... just a few people were bashing her hands but it was a small amount of people. Now and for a few years everytime you mention Madonna people mock her, mentionning her bad plastic surgeries or bizarre behaviour...  Though it had changed a bit since the Celebration tour. I don't know where you live but you are very lucky. I wish it was that way here...

56 minutes ago, Redha DBL said:

Lucky you ! Here in France 20 years ago most people talked about her with huge respect, saying she was an example, always ahead of trends, looking sporty and healthy, making good music etc... just a few people were bashing her hands but it was a small amount of people. Now and for a few years everytime you mention Madonna people mock her, mentionning her bad plastic surgeries or bizarre behaviour...  Though it had changed a bit since the Celebration tour. I don't know where you live but you are very lucky. I wish it was that way here...

You need to associate with less basic people!

1 hour ago, Redha DBL said:

That’s when I realized how much « general » and common people are stupid and started hating them 😅

11 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

I think people is asking when was the last time she was in imperial phase, when commercially and artistically an artist is at the top. To me that was COADF, and she had many moments like that on her carreer. Maybe with the sticky and sweet tour she was a bit like that. But commercially something was missing, artistically she wasn´t doing her best either and we knew it back then.

I love MDNA era, she looked amazing, liked the record, went to the tour which was huge, she was still the queen. But again, something was missing commercialy to consider that an imperial phase, despite the Superbowl, which was huge, but more from a legend point of view than from an artist who is in imperial phase.

After that, I think she wasn´t more present on the charts, didn´t had more top 10 singles, didn´t sold millions, and had good and succesful tours but she was older and view more as a legendary old one than an artist in imperial phase. From the one point of view, it was very unfair, cause on the rebel heart era she was still great on many levels, on the other hand, it´s true maybe the quality of her work had declined a bit, and that had been happening since 2007. Not so much effort on some videoclips, less beautiful photoshoots, tours with the same songs over and over, a very changed face, live performance with no to great vocals, gaining weight, seeing depressed for her son custody, another divas taking the crown, writing songs about losing the crown, Madame x album, Madame x tour cancelation, and those last years befor the new tour, which for me were very bad artistically and I think personally.

Now, this new tour is sure huge, but I don´t think she is right know on imperial phase as she was on say, ROL or Music. It´s more like the legend has returned and people are embracing  it again, thank god. I think that´s the best she can have right know, and despite losing something on her records, not dancing as she did, not looking so athletic as she did, I think she still can do wonders if she maintains that good path. An amazing new record with somebody great, even if it does not sell, would be the next right step, and mantaining that good more natural look of this tour.

As a conclusion, this decline on popularity had to happen sooner or later, as with any artist. But history will put her on a legendary place for sure, much higher than many succesful artists of today whose impact is really nothing compared to her on her hey day, and as somebody said, nobody ever mantained the popularity as she did for 30 years on a pop world that lives of the youthness.

Nothing is missing. She’s over 50 so she’s too old for this so stupid general public 

17 hours ago, Jackie said:

She’s relevant right now - her tour has been a massive success and is about to have over a million people watch her perform in Brazil -

The simple fact she sings Erotica at 65 in front of people makes her more relevant than ever. I don’t care about charts, radio airplays or general public they have no brain, they are stupid :smile: 

10 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

It's the same here and this is why I don't discuss Madonna with non fans. Apart from when I come on this forum :04:

1 hour ago, Debord said:

However she's acted, folk who respond to her name by starting to complain about her face are basic and need to come into the 21st century.

Do you judge those who comment on her butt as broadly, or is it just reserved for her visage?

1 hour ago, Redha DBL said:

You would get bored to death with only 'yes fans' and you know it 😋

There’s a big difference between fans that have critical views of Madonna or her work verses people who are former fans or not really fans at all coming here to constantly criticize her and then berate her actual fans for not doing the same.

19 minutes ago, Starchild said:

Do you judge those who comment on her butt as broadly, or is it just reserved for her visage?

Given I replied to a comment mentioning her face, that's what I mentioned. But yes since you ask, folk feeling an entitlement to comment on people's bodies and the choices they make about those bodies is always gross and, given it's overwhelmingly aimed at women, misogynistic. Sadly folk rarely pause and think about it when that is pointed out but instead get aggro and defensive, so ingrained is the entitlement.

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

There’s a big difference between fans that have critical views of Madonna or her work verses people who are former fans or not really fans at all coming here to constantly criticize her and then berate her actual fans for not doing the same.

You cannot like everyone on a forum. Just put the people you don't wanna see the posts on ignore list, it's simple. 

14 hours ago, Debord said:

Given I replied to a comment mentioning her face, that's what I mentioned. But yes since you ask, folk feeling an entitlement to comment on people's bodies and the choices they make about those bodies is always gross and, given it's overwhelmingly aimed at women, misogynistic. Sadly folk rarely pause and think about it when that is pointed out but instead get aggro and defensive, so ingrained is the entitlement.

Do you ever comment on or silently judge a person's style of dress or hairstyle, which are also choices?

It seems that you are being idealistic and overly sensitive, and tarring everyone with the same brush.

5 hours ago, Starchild said:

Do you ever comment on or silently judge a person's style of dress or hairstyle, which are also choices?

It seems that you are being idealistic and overly sensitive, and tarring everyone with the same brush.

If I "silently judge" something who cares, cos no-one will ever know? And no, I'm not in the habit of going around judging people's appearances but let's not pretend that someone "commenting" on a haircut is remotely comparable to the societal obsession with tearing apart women's appearances. I don't see what's idealistic about it, it's very easy to respect bodily autonomy and keep any comments to ourselves.