Single Reissues Campaign - Cherish- OUT NOW

New_Boy

It sounds like we are confident now that Causing a Commotion is defo coming soon.

Whats the feeling on Dress You Up? 🤞 

It was definitely one of my most played 80s 12” Madonna records, along with Causing A Commotion and Gambler, and was my favourite 12” extended version from the Madonna and LAV LPs. 

Edited by MadonnaDave (see edit history)

I had no problem with the single reissues, but i miss n want more remastered videos.

(Eg: Lucky Star still looks horrible, i prefer the master shared here. Or Celebration, prefer The DVD edition, YT have the same LQ, 240p :cryin:)

This is the opportunity for them to share the WTG video in better Quality and full. Celebration DVD fades early.

Dreaming is free, hahaha

38 minutes ago, leo said:

I had no problem with the single reissues, but i miss n want more remastered videos.

(Eg: Lucky Star still looks horrible, i prefer the master shared here. Or Celebration, prefer The DVD edition, YT have the same LQ, 240p :cryin:)

Without the original negatives or film reels, it's a waste of time. It's better to have a DVD (or Blu-ray SD) in each deluxe album containing the corresponding video-clips from the master tapes, without image compression, with lossless audio, and interlaced. If you want real HD/remastered video-clips, Warner needs to find the fucking negatives (and edit them again from scratch, because many of her video-clips were edited in video format and not on film).

23 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Without the original negatives or film reels, it's a waste of time. It's better to have a DVD (or Blu-ray SD) in each deluxe album containing the corresponding video-clips from the master tapes, without image compression, with lossless audio, and interlaced. If you want real HD/remastered video-clips, Warner needs to find the fucking negatives (and edit them again from scratch, because many of her video-clips were edited in video format and not on film).

I agree.  But at the same time, Madonna is one of few artists from the 80's who has the most "updated" videos.  Even Michael Jackson has only a few updated to 4K/1080.  But most of his iconic videos are still at 480.  I was actually surprised "Billie Jean" was still at 480.  While it would be awesome that these iconic entertainers get all their videos updated, I don't think the general public really cares much about as the fan bases.  With AI, I'm sure more and more might start getting updated, but it will never be truly updated without going back to original master tapes. And we all know that takes a lot of times and money.  If they can assimilate to look somewhat better with AI, I think they will do that instead. I just don't see these record labels taking the time and money to search for all the old masters and pour money into these videos where much of the public do not really care.  I personally don't believe all of Madonna's videos will ever be updated ever.  I also think that if they are going to pour money into it, they won't want to. make it available for just free and leave it to physical copies. The problem is DVD's aren't very popular as they used to be.  People just go online to find the content they want to see. Most won't pay to see these video in higher quality. 

53 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Maybe the reason certain videos like Vogue and Like a Prayer haven’t been upgraded is because they’re waiting to do them properly?

I do think her entire videography getting that treatment is a pipe dream though, I can’t think of any artist that has done that. Maybe The Beatles for the Bluray release of 1? But that was in the days when physical sales were more profitable. And I believe a lot of that footage was taken from their films. It is a shame because I think artists like Madonna or Michael Jackson deserve to have their work preserved in the same way classic films are.

1 hour ago, leo said:

This is the opportunity for them to share the WTG video in better Quality and full. Celebration DVD fades early.

Dreaming is free, hahaha

there's so much to be done but Emily is still at Starbucks waiting for her double shot latte  :Madonna041:

14 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Something has definitely switched here regarding the WTG release because when you scroll to the bottom is says 

29/6/87 for the release date. So someone somewhere withheld this for a fortnight for whatever reason. 
This campaign is a damn mess IMG_3097.thumb.jpeg.a8b7ed41abf3feddb159e97d0d53f8cc.jpeg

They did this with Hollywood too! They always do this when they can't or don't release singles on the valid dates of anniversary....

9 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Something has definitely switched here regarding the WTG release because when you scroll to the bottom is says 

29/6/87 for the release date. So someone somewhere withheld this for a fortnight for whatever reason. 
This campaign is a damn mess IMG_3097.thumb.jpeg.a8b7ed41abf3feddb159e97d0d53f8cc.jpeg

Very curious to see what happens with Dress you up then, there are no hints...

I really hope they go for the 7" picture sleeve 

Madonna_-_Dress_You_Up.png

6 hours ago, Adonna said:

I agree.  But at the same time, Madonna is one of few artists from the 80's who has the most "updated" videos.  Even Michael Jackson has only a few updated to 4K/1080.  But most of his iconic videos are still at 480.  I was actually surprised "Billie Jean" was still at 480.  

Billie Jean is full of video-generated special effects. It cannot receive a proper HD remaster. The only option available is an ugly AI upscale.

Fortunately, most of Madonna's SD videos have very few special effects done on video. I think only 'Bedtime Story' and 'This Used to Be My Playground' are like that. The rest have some video elements (texts and some scenes) that are easily replicable. But as always, without the negatives (or positives on film), Warner can't do a proper remaster.

10 minutes ago, Erotico said:

Very curious to see what happens with Dress you up then, there are no hints...

I really hope they go for the 7" picture sleeve 

Madonna_-_Dress_You_Up.png

I'd love this cover too, but I suspect we will get the other one. 

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

Billie Jean is full of video-generated special effects. It cannot receive a proper HD remaster. The only option available is an ugly AI upscale.

Fortunately, most of Madonna's SD videos have very few special effects done on video. I think only 'Bedtime Story' and 'This Used to Be My Playground' are like that. The rest have some video elements (texts and some scenes) that are easily replicable. But as always, without the negatives (or positives on film), Warner can't do a proper remaster.

Do they actually go back and re-edit music videos that were edited on tape ? I was under the assumption any music videos that have been released in true 4K (not upscale) was because they were edited on film to begin with? For eg, Thriller was premiered in a theatre so the final edit must have been on film and they just had to rescan it and clean it up. I have read that music videos were generally shot on film and edited on tape. However , surely some of these bigger directors working on big budget videos would have opted to edit on film?

The effort of scanning all the footage and re-editing seems enormous and if MJ’s estate are not doing that I can’t imagine anyone else would be.

29 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Do they actually go back and re-edit music videos that were edited on tape ? I was under the assumption any music videos that have been released in true 4K (not upscale) was because they were edited on film to begin with? For eg, Thriller was premiered in a theatre so the final edit must have been on film and they just had to rescan it and clean it up. I have read that music videos were generally shot on film and edited on tape. 

Yes, as far as I know, most of the real 4K music videos exist because they were edited on film. Re-editing all of Madonna's videos from the original negatives must be a titanic job, but it would be worth doing for just a few of Madonna's iconic videos: Burning Up, Material Girl, Live To Tell, Open Your Heart, Like A Prayer, Express Yourself, Vogue, etc, etc, etc. From 2003 onwards, I believe Madonna's videos were at least filmed in 720p.

1 minute ago, Aiwa08 said:

Yes, as far as I know, all the real 4K music videos exist because they were edited on film. Re-editing all of Madonna's videos from the original negatives must be a titanic job, but it would be worth doing for just a few of Madonna's iconic videos: Burning Up, Material Girl, Live To Tell, Open Your Heart, Like A Prayer, Express Yourself, Vogue, etc., etc

I just want oh father , die another day and bad girl remastered from film reels as they are her most cinematic videos - plus maybe EY 🥰 bedtime story 2004 would also look amazing 

9 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

I just want oh father , die another day and bad girl remastered from film reels as they are her most cinematic videos - plus maybe EY 🥰 bedtime story 2004 would also look amazing 

You're right. I've forgotten 'Oh Father'. Of course, I want more real 4K videos, but I only listed a possible selection up to 1990.

P.S.: I'm sure that David Fincher has the film-edited versions of 'Express Yourself,' 'Oh Father,' 'Vogue' and "Bad Girl" stored somewhere. I would bet anything on it.

At this point I would take just good HD upscales/upgrades. The fact that "LAP", "Vogue" or "La Isla" are still SD on her YouTube official account is beyond tragic in 2024.

They've done good upscales in the past, they can do it with a good SD master.

But yeah, wonder why is taking them so long and if there's any reason behind.

11 minutes ago, Prayer said:

At this point I would take just good HD upscales/upgrades. The fact that "LAP", "Vogue" or "La Isla" are still SD on her YouTube official account is beyond tragic in 2024.

They've done good upscales in the past, they can do it with a good SD master.

But yeah, wonder why is taking them so long and if there's any reason behind.

AI works fine if you use a proper video master from a film scan. The problem is that many music videos are modified with filters to look better in CRT TVs, making it impossible for AI to upscale the video correctly.

7 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Bedtime Story SHOULD have been in 4k since not only did they show it in some theaters but it's also preserved in some art museum (can't remember the name). 

Material Girl and Dress You Up as well. A few years ago some film strips were on ebay and at the time fans realized there were film versions because those videos were also apparently shown in some theatres. 

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Bedtime Story SHOULD have been in 4k since not only did they show it in some theaters but it's also preserved in some art museum (can't remember the name). 

You are mixing up concepts. It could be shown in some theaters and also preserved in some art museums, but that doesn't mean a film reel exists. It could be perfectly preserved on video (just like 'The Golden Girls' or 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air'). Just because something is recorded (or edited) on video doesn't mean it can't be shown in theaters.

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Material Girl and Dress You Up as well. A few years ago some film strips were on ebay and at the time fans realized there were film versions because those videos were also apparently shown in some theatres. 

I know, I saw them myself in the theater when they premiered 'Desperately Seeking Susan' in 1985. But I repeat the same, we don't know if it was a blow-up from video or if they were really taken from the original negative.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Cherish- OUT NOW