Why does she hate Jellybean so much?

Starchild

53 minutes ago, mysweetaudrina said:

her look and clothes were absolutely flawless, her face looked monumental and natural believe it or not. Ian McKellen is a pandering, babbling moron saying everything that he knows will become a gif to millennials, I hate that and apparently Madonna does too.

She did not hate anything, she was intimidated and uncomfortable. As for her cloths, when did I make any comment on her look? I said she could hardly breathe in the outfit which has nothing to do with the way the cloths looked on her. In your world Confessions was a flop of an album, Ian McKellen is the worst moron of an actor alive and Bach is a bad composer.

kristen-stewart-laughing.gif

8 hours ago, Vogue Italia said:

But she's okay with talking about Basquiat and they had a bad breakup nearly 40 years ago, although they were later on friendly terms. I know she had a bad breakup with Jellybean but until this appearance, I didn't know she felt this way about him. Maybe she was just joking but she didn't seem like it. Sean Penn probably out her through worse and she has forgiven him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Madonna minimizes her relationship with Jellybean in the film. I noticed in the 2 years she has been writing the script she hasn't mentioned him. She doesn't seem to give him much credit. She gives Dan Gilroy credit for teaching her how to play the guitar. I even saw a picture of her occasional lover Ken Compton (from the Burning Up video) on her moodboard but not a single picture of Jellybean. 

Jellybean produced her first hit song. He knows she used him but he benefited from her success as well. If she truly is still resentful towards him I'm sure it's for a very personal reason. It'll be interesting to see how Madonna will portray her dynamics with DJs and producers early in her career in the film. Her ambition and talent is the reason for her successful long career, but she was known to sleep around to get her music played.

One can say the same about Bjork. Her career changed when she met Dom T. and he introduced her to everybody that made her first adult solo album (Debut) including Hussein Chalayan (responsible for her early looks). And she slept with Goldie, Stephane Sednaoui, all collaborators...and many, many, many more. Yet she never get that thrown in her face.

32 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Maybe because Madonna did it before her, so Madonna gets the credit? Madonna is an innovator

Is Madonna really that much of an innovator? being hugely influential does not always imply innovation. As far as I am aware, Madonna has always created records that were in keeping with trends and never brought anything musically innovative to the table. Her persona's and music videos are heavily influenced by other sources and the idea's she expressed in terms of sexuality and boundary pushing did not originate with her because they are human nature. Madonna was the superstar that popularized these idea's and trends which has nothing to do with innovation. She reminds me of Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson in some ways, both talented and hugely influential artists, neither of which can be called innovators. 

5 hours ago, Skyline Pigeon said:

She did not hate anything, she was intimidated and uncomfortable. As for her cloths, when did I make any comment on her look? I said she could hardly breathe in the outfit which has nothing to do with the way the cloths looked on her. In your world Confessions was a flop of an album, Ian McKellen is the worst moron of an actor alive and Bach is a bad composer.

kristen-stewart-laughing.gif

stop lying.

22 hours ago, Vogue Italia said:

But she's okay with talking about Basquiat and they had a bad breakup nearly 40 years ago, although they were later on friendly terms. I know she had a bad breakup with Jellybean but until this appearance, I didn't know she felt this way about him. Maybe she was just joking but she didn't seem like it. Sean Penn probably out her through worse and she has forgiven him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Madonna minimizes her relationship with Jellybean in the film. I noticed in the 2 years she has been writing the script she hasn't mentioned him. She doesn't seem to give him much credit. She gives Dan Gilroy credit for teaching her how to play the guitar. I even saw a picture of her occasional lover Ken Compton (from the Burning Up video) on her moodboard but not a single picture of Jellybean. 

Jellybean produced her first hit song. He knows she used him but he benefited from her success as well. If she truly is still resentful towards him I'm sure it's for a very personal reason. It'll be interesting to see how Madonna will portray her dynamics with DJs and producers early in her career in the film. Her ambition and talent is the reason for her successful long career, but she was known to sleep around to get her music played.

I think it’s cringy when she talks about Basquiat, almost as if she is name dropping. A moment when Madonna doesn’t realize she’s Madonna. I’ve met Jellybean on numerous occasions, not well enough to know him personally, but well enough to know he’s a nice guy ( did I just drop a name? ) sexy human nature GIF

56 minutes ago, As Soon As I said:

I think it’s cringy when she talks about Basquiat, almost as if she is name dropping. A moment when Madonna doesn’t realize she’s Madonna. I’ve met Jellybean on numerous occasions, not well enough to know him personally, but well enough to know he’s a nice guy ( did I just drop a name? ) sexy human nature GIF

she acts like a third rate z lister when in fact she is Madonna.

On 3/24/2022 at 2:54 AM, mysweetaudrina said:

she didn't make up with basquiat who hated her guts just like Michael Jackson but there is street cred to be had by saying they were friends/lovers, same thing with ugly ass doll eyed Tupac.

Madonna's relationship with Basquiat was not the same as her relationship with Michael Jackson (which was an obvious PR move) or Tupac (a fling while they were recording). I know Michael wasn't fond of Madonna but Tupac actually said she was a good friend which is why he apologized to her in the prison letter that was auctioned off a few years ago.

Basquiat's art dealer Larry Gagosian said he actually loved her and he was depressed after she left him for Jellybean. I believe her when she said she also loved him, but I also think she does like the street cred by being associated with him and Tupac because it adds to her mythology.  However, she had been a public supporter of Basquiat since before he even died. In 1985, she told Interview magazine that she was a fan of his work. She also co-sponsored the first retrospective of his work at the Whitney in 1992 and she sponsored another one of his exhibitions at the Serpentine Gallery in 1996. This was all before his revival in pop culture so she clearly has genuine sentimental feelings about him.

I made a thread about Madonna's connection to the visual arts and there is more detail about their relationship: Madonna Immortalized in Art

If Basquiat hated her guts he would not have attended her album release party a year after their breakup in 1984.

335f5b9e0e498649eb2bbd9009e8877cd60e8556

He also wouldn't have attended her Virgin Tour concert. According to Warhol's diaries, Basquiat went backstage to see Madonna at Radio City Music Hall and they arrived at the afterparty together. I'm sure if Madonna wanted him back he would have obliged since other girlfriends of his said when they left he wanted them back too.

Madonna with Basquiat and Keith Haring at the after party for her Virgin Tour concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on June 6, 1985.

1e0ee9f93a2402ddb56821343385cc29d6704796

0511bfb042cb51b5d830939dffce5bbfc512237b

Basquiat, Futura 2000, Cookie Mueller, and Keith at the after party for the Virgin Tour concert at Radio City Music Hall

a8a216d4523f5a4315b89de9250d17a1c3884879

13 minutes ago, Vogue Italia said:

Madonna's relationship with Basquiat was not the same as her relationship with Michael Jackson (which was an obvious PR move) or Tupac (a fling while they were recording). I know Michael wasn't fond of Madonna but Tupac actually said she was a good friend which is why he apologized to her in the prison letter that was auctioned off a few years ago.

Basquiat's art dealer Larry Gagosian said he actually loved her and he was depressed after she left him for Jellybean. I believe her when she said she also loved him, but I also think she does like the street cred by being associated with him and Tupac because it adds to her mythology.  However, she had been a public supporter of Basquiat since before he even died. In 1986, she told Interview magazine that she was a fan of his work. She also co-sponsored the first retrospective of his work at the Whitney in 1992 and she sponsored another one of his exhibitions at the Serpentine Gallery in 1996. This was all before his revival in pop culture so she clearly has genuine sentimental feelings about him.

I made a thread about Madonna's connection to the visual arts and there is more detail about their relationship: Madonna Immortalized in Art

If Basquiat hated her guts he would not have attended her album release party a year after their breakup in 1984.

335f5b9e0e498649eb2bbd9009e8877cd60e8556

He also wouldn't have attended her Virgin Tour concert. According to Warhol's diaries, Basquiat went backstage to see Madonna at Radio City Music Hall and they arrived at the afterparty together. I'm sure if Madonna wanted him back he would have obliged since other girlfriends of his said when they left he wanted them back too.

Madonna with Basquiat and Keith Haring at the after party for her Virgin Tour concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on June 6, 1985.

1e0ee9f93a2402ddb56821343385cc29d6704796

0511bfb042cb51b5d830939dffce5bbfc512237b

Basquiat, Futura 2000, Cookie Mueller, and Keith at the after party for the Virgin Tour concert at Radio City Music Hall

a8a216d4523f5a4315b89de9250d17a1c3884879

they went back to her because of her immense fame and success, the danceteria crowd and those artists never really accepted her, she was an outsider, she wasn't an elitist like they were, wouldn't they even call her a dog and bark when she was walking around? then she made it super big and got the recognition they wanted so they came back.

On 3/24/2022 at 7:36 AM, Roland Barthes said:

One can say the same about Bjork. Her career changed when she met Dom T. and he introduced her to everybody that made her first adult solo album (Debut) including Hussein Chalayan (responsible for her early looks). And she slept with Goldie, Stephane Sednaoui, all collaborators...and many, many, many more. Yet she never get that thrown in her face.

Honestly, I like a few of Bjork's songs but I am not aware too much of her career. She is also not on the same level of fame as Madonna so not much of anything is going to be thrown in her face quite the same. Bjork seems a bit reclusive whereas at one point Madonna was overexposed in the 1990s. Sex was/is a big part of Madonna's image. She certainly wasn't the first aspiring singer to sleep with producers/local DJs to advance her career. She used her sex appeal to her advantage and I'm not shaming her for that just calling it as it is. That's why I wonder how she will portray that in her film because Madonna's promiscuity has been well documented. Her working/personal relationship with Jellybean is related to that and she doesn't seem so fond of him these days so it'll be interesting to see how he is portrayed if at all. Maybe she has created a composite character that represents different people.

On 3/24/2022 at 10:20 PM, As Soon As I said:

I don't think it's cringy because that is someone she actually knew intimately and she is referenced in some of his art. Jay Z, Beyonce and many other celebrities talk about their love for Basquiat and they never knew him personally. In most documentaries about Basquiat, Madonna is referenced one way other the other. They don't go into detail about their relationship but there is a new series and movie in the works about his life and surely she'll be depicted in those. Madonna is still alive so if she wants to talk about someone she cared about then I don't see the problem. I think most times she has been portrayed as just one of his one-night stands so until she started speaking more about their relationship she wasn't seen as one of his significant girlfriends, even though there's a whole chapter about her in his biography A Quick Killing in Art. A lot of previously unreleased pictures have been released of them in the last decade that proves they were in each other's lives more than previously believed. 

1 hour ago, Vogue Italia said:

Honestly, I like a few of Bjork's songs but I am not aware too much of her career. She is also not on the same level of fame as Madonna so not much of anything is going to be thrown in her face quite the same. Bjork seems a bit reclusive whereas at one point Madonna was overexposed in the 1990s. Sex was/is a big part of Madonna's image. She certainly wasn't the first aspiring singer to sleep with producers/local DJs to advance her career. She used her sex appeal to her advantage and I'm not shaming her for that just calling it as it is. That's why I wonder how she will portray that in her film because Madonna's promiscuity has been well documented. Her working/personal relationship with Jellybean is related to that and she doesn't seem so fond of him these days so it'll be interesting to see how he is portrayed if at all. Maybe she has created a composite character that represents different people.

I don't think it's cringy because that is someone she actually knew intimately and she is referenced in some of his art. Jay Z, Beyonce and many other celebrities talk about their love for Basquiat and they never knew him personally. In most documentaries about Basquiat, Madonna is referenced one way other the other. They don't go into detail about their relationship but there is a new series and movie in the works about his life and surely she'll be depicted in those. Madonna is still alive so if she wants to talk about someone she cared about then I don't see the problem. I think most times she has been portrayed as just one of his one-night stands so until she started speaking more about their relationship she wasn't seen as one of his significant girlfriends, even though there's a whole chapter about her in his biography A Quick Killing in Art. A lot of previously unreleased pictures have been released of them in the last decade that proves they were in each other's lives more than previously believed. 

I don't want this biopic to excessively harp upon Madonna's personal relationships at the expense of giving people an overview about how incredible her career has been. Sadly the music has taken a back seat to attention on things like kissing Britney Spears and relationships with men like Sean and Tupac. There has been a deliberate attempt to belittle Madonna as a songwriter and downplay her talents since the start of her career and this biopic needs to make it clear there was much more going on than sleeping her way to the top. Madonna herself has told some whopping lies over the years about her past relationships with people like Michael Jackson for instance, she would have us believe he was some friend and potential lover.

2 hours ago, mysweetaudrina said:

they went back to her because of her immense fame and success, the danceteria crowd and those artists never really accepted her, she was an outsider, she wasn't an elitist like they were, wouldn't they even call her a dog and bark when she was walking around? then she made it super big and got the recognition they wanted so they came back.

Not everyone was a fan of hers but Madonna had some supporters in the downtown club scene, Basquiat being one of them. He was excited about her impending fame before her debut album was even released. He introduced her to Andy Warhol and his art dealers. Larry Gagosian said he told her Madonna was going to be huge. Diego Cortez, co-founder of the Mudd Club, curated the post-punk art show New York/New Wave at MoMA PS1, which catapulted Basquiat to fame in 1981. He said Basquiat introduced him to Madonna and asked to help with her career. She asked him to be her manager but he declined to focus on being an art curator. Keep in mind Madonna left Basquiat, he did not leave her. Naturally, he was upset when she broke up with him but there is no indication that he hated her especially if he was still hanging out with her after their relationship ended. Keith Haring was another supporter, Martin Burgoyne, Maripol, Debi Mazar, Erika Belle, Jellybean. 

44 minutes ago, Vogue Italia said:

Not everyone was a fan of hers but Madonna had some supporters in the downtown club scene, Basquiat being one of them. He was excited about her impending fame before her debut album was even released. He introduced her to Andy Warhol and his art dealers. Larry Gagosian said he told her Madonna was going to be huge. Diego Cortez, co-founder of the Mudd Club, curated the post-punk art show New York/New Wave at MoMA PS1, which catapulted Basquiat to fame in 1981. He said Basquiat introduced him to Madonna and asked to help with her career. She asked him to be her manager but he declined to focus on being an art curator. Keep in mind Madonna left Basquiat, he did not leave her. Naturally, he was upset when she broke up with him but there is no indication that he hated her especially if he was still hanging out with her after their relationship ended. Keith Haring was another supporter, Martin Burgoyne, Maripol, Debi Mazar, Erika Belle, Jellybean. 

The pre-fame days and the first two albums have the most material for an amazing movie with fully developed characters and storyline focusing both on the music and the personal life. The rest of the career will be a bit tricky to translate to film because it can fall into the trap of being very one dimensional with Madonna scoring success after success all alone against the world. The early days are material for an amazing movie. The rest is essentially a misunderstood genius scoring hit after hit.

3 minutes ago, androiduser said:

The pre-fame days and the first two albums have the most material for an amazing movie with fully developed characters and storyline focusing both on the music and the personal life. The rest of the career will be a bit tricky to translate to film because it can fall into the trap of being very one dimensional with Madonna scoring success after success all alone against the world. The early days are material for an amazing movie. The rest is essentially a misunderstood genius scoring hit after hit.

We already have that film, it's called Madonna: Innocence Lost. And lol at misunderstood genius.