Madonna's 18 year long mea culpa for the SEX book

mysweetaudrina

6 hours ago, nodoman said:

i’m pretty certain @mysweetaudrina is the same person who has been trolling this forum for months now, creating a new account each time and playing a different persona before they mess up again and/or get banned.

Same! I feel it's Liam/Marxus/Neutrocks and their other aliases. The one time they got banned from MadonnaNation for impersonating a French girl and then got exposed for using VPN's. :laughing:

As a fan since 1987 I thought I would chip in too on this controversial topic - to this day I don’t see why she needed to do this book or express herself in this graphic way especially when she started the decade on such a high with the BA tour - yes I know de has explained it but it still doesn’t make sense to me and she must have known the vitriol she would have received too - in a weird way it kind of book ends her career too as immediately after her record sales declined and never really picked up until ray of light. I don’t own a copy as I don’t feel the need to look at it ever again . The only book I own of M are her tourbooks. And last and most obvious is it hurt the erotica album promotion I mean rain and deeper and deeper would have been massive hits and maybe even bad girl too  - she even said after that she regrets putting it out the same time as the album 

the girlie show has some great moments too but I just didn’t like her look in the show sorry ?

5 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

As a fan since 1987 I thought I would chip in too on this controversial topic - to this day I don’t see why she needed to do this book or express herself in this graphic way especially when she started the decade on such a high with the BA tour - yes I know de has explained it but it still doesn’t make sense to me and she must have known the vitriol she would have received too - in a weird way it kind of book ends her career too as immediately after her record sales declined and never really picked up until ray of light. I don’t own a copy as I don’t feel the need to look at it ever again . The only book I own of M are her tourbooks. And last and most obvious is it hurt the erotica album promotion I mean rain and deeper and deeper would have been massive hits and maybe even bad girl too  - she even said after that she regrets putting it out the same time as the album 

the girlie show has some great moments too but I just didn’t like her look in the show sorry ?

See, this is a great response. Not calling for the op to be banned because they have opinions other forum members disagree with. We all listen to an artist who says "Express yourself don't repress yourself" but want to ban and say people not real fans when they have a different opinion. It's ridiculous. Topics like this are great. We all have different strong opinions. That's what makes the forum great and fun. 

18 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

See, this is a great response. Not calling for the op to be banned because they have opinions other forum members disagree with. We all listen to an artist who says "Express yourself don't repress yourself" but want to ban and say people not real fans when they have a different opinion. It's ridiculous. Topics like this are great. We all have different strong opinions. That's what makes the forum great and fun. 

Exactly- we all have different opinions and different perspectives on our idol and of course when she fails it hurts especially a masterpiece like erotica being drowned out by a book about her pussy ??

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

I have thought and struggled with her reasons for it, I've heard her explanations but they fail in the face or her subsequent behavior like 18 years feeling sorry for it and her whining, and her delusional expectations that somehow it was something people "didn't get". 

My best explanation is that she didn't give it much thought and did it anyway because until then, controversy had translated to huge success, but the SEX book came with a huge price tag of ridicule and loss of reputation.

1 hour ago, Pootz333 said:

thank you, Madonna fans love Madonna but don't live by her ideals.

Gee wiz!  Some of the comments here.  As if mainstream success = art.  SEX was her ultimate feminist manifesto.  It was brave, unapologetic and a lifeline to all marginalized communities.  Madonna rebranded herself and more importantly, she refused to be the girl earlier exploited in Playboy and Penthouse.  She swung hard and landed a lot of punches against the patriarchy.  SEX makes me proud still today.  The LGBTQ community needed a guardian and Madonna set aside her personal accolades and stepped the fuck up.  Long Live the Queen.  

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

Exactly- we all have different opinions and different perspectives on our idol and of course when she fails it hurts especially a masterpiece like erotica being drowned out by a book about her pussy ??

The book wasn't about her genitals.  SEX was about oppression and freedom.  SEX was about patriarchy and overcoming hatred.  SEX was about conquering vulnerability and living in power.  SEX was about growing comfortable in one's own skin.  SEX was about so many things but never about mere genitalia.  

52 minutes ago, Sultrysully said:

Gee wiz!  Some of the comments here.  As if mainstream success = art.  SEX was her ultimate feminist manifesto.  It was brave, unapologetic and a lifeline to all marginalized communities.  Madonna rebranded herself and more importantly, she refused to be the girl earlier exploited in Playboy and Penthouse.  She swung hard and landed a lot of punches against the patriarchy.  SEX makes me proud still today.  The LGBTQ community needed a guardian and Madonna set aside her personal accolades and stepped the fuck up.  Long Live the Queen.  

That is a very idealistic point of view, I don't totally disagree with what you are saying but Im not sure Madonna's motives were always as noble as you are trying to claim. She has flip flopped on these issues repeatedly over the years and there was a long period after Erotica that basically felt like an apology. I might be a bit cynical but I have just never bought the crusading social justice warrior narrative as much as a lot of Madonna fans, it has something that has really grown over the years, I seriously doubt she had it in her mind at the time of the books release to be stepping in for every marginalized soul in the universe as some sort of Jesus figure.

4 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Body of Evidence was the real stinker. The other two are iconic (I hate how meaningless this word has become but truly), no doubt. But BOF is the one part of the trilogy that wasn't good then or now. 

2 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

She refused to be the girl earlier exploited in Playboy and Penthouse. 

This is true and one of the main reasons I love the book and that era. A tribute to America's favorite pastime: hypocrisy. It's OK to publish artistic nudes without my consent and profit from it, but when I do it myself I'm everything but a child of God? I'll always love her for that.

It would be fascinating to see a timeline where she hadn't released the book and where she would go in her career and how the general public and we nutjobs would have received it all.

6 hours ago, Skyline Pigeon said:

I think by now its obvious that @mysweetaudrinais in need of being banned. I bet that he has been here before under other accounts.

If it's the same person, this person has some issues stalking and trolling M forums and making some disturbing comments. When a place like MadonnaNation bans you for being offensive, you have really hit the lowest bar there possibly is. 

4 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

how sad to be so brainwashed by ideology.

14 minutes ago, dylanlioncourt said:

If it's the same person, this person has some issues stalking and trolling M forums and making some disturbing comments. When a place like MadonnaNation bans you for being offensive, you have really hit the lowest bar there possibly is. 

I haven't been on Madonnanation for 20 years.

1 hour ago, Pootz333 said:

Body of Evidence was the real stinker. The other two are iconic (I hate how meaningless this word has become but truly), no doubt. But BOF is the one part of the trilogy that wasn't good then or now. 

This is true and one of the main reasons I love the book and that era. A tribute to America's favorite pastime: hypocrisy. It's OK to publish artistic nudes without my consent and profit from it, but when I do it myself I'm everything but a child of God? I'll always love her for that.

It would be fascinating to see a timeline where she hadn't released the book and where she would go in her career and how the general public and we nutjobs would have received it all.

i like Body Of Evidence and see it often lol. 

I don't agree with your second statement, technically the pictures weren't hers, she had signed away release forms, legally they didn't exploit her, but morally she could have sued the magazines and the photographers but she didn't do that because she enjoyed the publicity and used it to her advantage. Fast forward to her tragic billboard speech and she is crying about supposed exploitation that she was participant in and used the platform to slag another woman. 

Madonna is for Madonna alone. She is very Faye Dunaway that way.

57 minutes ago, mysweetaudrina said:

i like Body Of Evidence and see it often lol. 

I don't agree with your second statement, technically the pictures weren't hers, she had signed away release forms, legally they didn't exploit her, but morally she could have sued the magazines and the photographers but she didn't do that because she enjoyed the publicity and used it to her advantage. Fast forward to her tragic billboard speech and she is crying about supposed exploitation that she was participant in and used the platform to slag another woman. 

Madonna is for Madonna alone. She is very Faye Dunaway that way.

Body of Evidence is amazing in that they got this incredible cast together to make such garbage. And her performance is a bit campy but not enough for me to really enjoy or want to rewatch.

I agree with you that she used the publicity to her advantage. And that's part of her genius for me. Other people would have let it wreck them. As for the Billboard speech, M has always gone back and forth about her past over the years. During her English lady of the manor phase she admitted to Cynthia McFadden that she ran around taking her clothes off for attention. She wouldn't say that now. Now it's back to the 1992 storyline of destroying the patriarchy.

I sort of agree with M being for M alone. And for a long time I think she'd have agreed too. But I can understand it too. Women supporting women is a very popular concept now. But it felt like she had no one in her corner back then. So I can't blame her for not being "we are the world, we are the children" with the other girls when they were very comfortable throwing shade at her.

And if they are going the Bob Dylan route for the biopic, Faye should play current M Dolla. Get her a 22" platinum lace front, some grills and watch the #magic unfold.

23 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

Body of Evidence is amazing in that they got this incredible cast together to make such garbage. And her performance is a bit campy but not enough for me to really enjoy or want to rewatch.

I agree with you that she used the publicity to her advantage. And that's part of her genius for me. Other people would have let it wreck them. As for the Billboard speech, M has always gone back and forth about her past over the years. During her English lady of the manor phase she admitted to Cynthia McFadden that she ran around taking her clothes off for attention. She wouldn't say that now. Now it's back to the 1992 storyline of destroying the patriarchy.

I sort of agree with M being for M alone. And for a long time I think she'd have agreed too. But I can understand it too. Women supporting women is a very popular concept now. But it felt like she had no one in her corner back then. So I can't blame her for not being "we are the world, we are the children" with the other girls when they were very comfortable throwing shade at her.

And if they are going the Bob Dylan route for the biopic, Faye should play current M Dolla. Get her a 22" platinum lace front, some grills and watch the #magic unfold.

She had Camille Paglia on her corner but all she did was reject her. Body Of Evidence is ruined by the rest of the cast actually, at least for me. 

Yes I remember the upturned applecart comments. Thought it sad back then but what she says now is even sadder and more disturbing. I even wonder about her intelligence. 

She was like 40 and reading Memoirs of a Geisha, I read that at 18, I couldn't read that now.