The remixers interview

Enrico

21 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

Very interesting that Above & Beyond had a similar experience to Thunderpuss in that they just went straight to Caresse (sp?) and she gave them a shot. Cool lady. 

A&B's mix of "Nobody Knows Me" is underrated imo.

Wait which and where is there’s? You know I went to check the Remixology for it hahaha

7 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

Unless you meant the Thunderpuss remix of WIFLFAG

Barry Harris of Thunderpuss tells their story here: 

This remix has always been FANTASTIC! Such a missed opportunity to not include this over something so silly.

That remix would have been a KTU smash, and guarantee you, would have been a Lipsynch For Your Life on Drag Race.

6 hours ago, ScottyX said:

So does Madonna's. Imagine how history will be altered when the biopic comes out lol

Madonna got into New York with $35 and a dream and her and Shep wrote Vogue after Madonna spent a day at the beach which turned out to be her dressing room on Broadway and Shep came up with the instrumental in 1987 after creating Janet's Miss You Much remix. 

1 hour ago, Alibaba said:

Shep. 🙄 How rude! I’m sure he was very embittered when she chose not to work with him beyond Erotica, but I find it extremely arrogant and ugly that he is being interviewed to discuss his commissioned work with an artist as a remixer, but instead tries to inflate his creative self-importance, all while denigrating the source material and the actual artist. Someone needs a hug. It might be subtle, but I second the bad vibes detector. 

I love how he mentioned that he was surprised that Beyonce's team didn't ask for the masters and they just put new verses over the original (which is not all the way true) as if the multi-tracks haven't been leaked on the internet for years. Literally, she just needed to call up M to get her approval and Emily could've sent the MEGA link with it from this site for all we know  :lol:

38 minutes ago, deathproof said:

This remix has always been FANTASTIC! Such a missed opportunity to not include this over something so silly.

That remix would have been a KTU smash, and guarantee you, would have been a Lipsynch For Your Life on Drag Race.

Their mix of WIFLFAG is my favorite of the remixes they did for her, not counting the GHV2 Megamixes. Speaking of KTU, the first time I ever saw the name Thunderpuss was on the credits for a cover of "Live To Tell" by ~Blonde Ambition~. I so miss old school KTU. That "Frozen" mastermix! I know their mixes can be divisive but they had such a recognizable style and were definitely a moment in time. I wonder when the late 90's/early 00's dance sounds will make a big comeback.

1 minute ago, PlayPause said:

“Ray of Light” is a jam session. It’s not her M.O. to improvise, but when we did that, I’m flying around with a guitar hanging off my neck and this synth doing all that “wee ooo wee ooo” [at the end of the song], and she’s in the vocal booth singing and going so high and so passionate. You can hear it, and she breaks into this huge hoots of laughter at the end as if to say, “Did I just do that in one take?”

THIS

4 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

Beyoncé is re-singing her song over my music [on “Break My Soul (The Queens Remix)”] — they didn’t even try to recreate the music. They just lifted the music right off the instrumental track. I was blown away. Then re-doing the rap to include all the the legends and people she’s talking about, that’s one of the kind.

and THAT

I just re read the interview - Tracy suggests that her first remix was Nothing Fails lol - 

How did you first connect with Madonna?

It was a long time ago, but I remember I had just released an album called Tracy Young Remixes Living Theater. Madonna had plugged it on [Miami pop radio station] Y100, and I sent her a thank you card. She had just come out with American Life, and I told her “Nothing Fails” should be remixed, because it’s a beautiful song. And that’s how I got it.

But, didn't she DJ at her wedding - and we all know she remixed Music, Don't Tell Me, What It Feels Like For a Girl. 

There seems to be either an inconsistency in how these stories/articles have been put together or some brain fog lol

21 minutes ago, Jackie said:

I just re read the interview - Tracy suggests that her first remix was Nothing Fails lol - 

How did you first connect with Madonna?

It was a long time ago, but I remember I had just released an album called Tracy Young Remixes Living Theater. Madonna had plugged it on [Miami pop radio station] Y100, and I sent her a thank you card. She had just come out with American Life, and I told her “Nothing Fails” should be remixed, because it’s a beautiful song. And that’s how I got it.

But, didn't she DJ at her wedding - and we all know she remixed Music, Don't Tell Me, What It Feels Like For a Girl. 

There seems to be either an inconsistency in how these stories/articles have been put together or some brain fog lol

Not to mention Above & Beyond were going to remix DTM not Music. Interestingly enough WIFLFAG was meant to be second single after Music.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

For sure...although I really feel Victor Calderone is getting really ignored. When i think of late 90s/y2k Madonna i think of him. He did alot of great remixes but I guess he kinda got overshadowed by Peter Rauhofer

At least 3 of the remixes Victor has done for M between 1998 and 2003, ended on the full version of FEL - "Frozen", his 1st one ever, "Beautiful Stranger" and "Hollywood", his last work for her.

5 hours ago, Scor-pi-o said:

At least 3 of the remixes Victor has done for M between 1998 and 2003, ended on the full version of FEL - "Frozen", his 1st one ever, "Beautiful Stranger" and "Hollywood", his last work for her.

Um this is in relation to the remixers that remixed multiple tracks getting their props not about remixes not getting used on the tracklist babe. 

• 1 year later...

It's funny i was reminded of this thread today because someone liked one of my entries in it, since 2022 i met an old acquaintance of Pettibone (at a dance music conference i went to for a dj mag) whom told me he absolutely blames Madonna for retiring from music. He thought Erotica was gonna be his Thriller and sell billions of copies and since it did not happen he wanted to redeem himself with her follow up album but she changed direction and dropped him which infuriated him to this day. And i was told by this person that all his friends and peers (like Kervorkian) don't understand this at all. So now we know why he's borderline dismissive of her in interviews.