The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

9 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

So, Madonna did not perform Burning Up at CBGB's. When she first played CBGB's it was with the Breakfast Club (original line up minus Bray). She wrote Burning Up later while in Emmy. 

There are tons of videos where Dan Gilroy explains how he taught her how to play guitar and how she wrote her first songs with basic chords, hell, you even have these recordings online because the Shamrock reels leaked. She played rhythm guitar when she left Breakfast Club beause she wanted to lead and they did not want her to. She first had her drum kit but it was too heavy to carry around so she got rid of it and focused on playing guitar instead. she moved into the Music Building where she lived illegally but she went back to the Gilroys in Queens for a few onths after she left because she was homeless in new york. She formed her first band "Madonna and the Sky" and yes, there are recordings besides the receiver records 4 tracks ep that was released, you have the "demos" of her on a tape recorder, playing guitar and singing the songs and sometimes just playing guitar, yes also available online. DO THE WORK. 

The band became Emmy when Bray moved from Michigan to New York. They played Max's Kansas City which was the other punk joint on the Bowery, Gary Burke, the band's bassist (and with Madonna since Breakfast Club) secured the gig by hanging out with the guys from the band Suicide. The gig was such a success that they got invited back and Max's wanted to sign them on their label (they had their own) but Madonna had other ideas, she had invited Camille to see the second gig. Meanwhile she had no place of her own, crashing at friends or at the Star Motel when she had enough money. One day her electric convector set the room she was in on fire. She had to leave and at this point she was so destitute she had her first breakdown and was close to moving back to Michigan. 

Steve Bray said she could have made a career out of being a rhythm guitar player.

She did not like the direction Camille wanted her to take, Jon Gordon, the producer of the Gotham demos (and later Suzanne Vega) said that she was always playing with her guitar and keyboards and testing sounds, that's how he found out she was not happy with the direction she was forced to take and he did not like what he did with the demos either. Madonna was already doing dance music with Bray and hanging out at clubs in Manhattan, she wanted to make the music she was dancing to at these clubs, punk rock was 2 years ago for her and yet New Wave and dance music in New York at this time were derivative of punk rock in terms of being DIY. Camille managed to lure her into renewing her contract by securing a gig to be the open act for New York Dolls singer David Johanssen at his Xmas show for newly launched MTV. So she signed that contract but Camille did not know Madonna had also secured a new agent from CAA so after the gig she told camille the contract was over but her new agent left her  (it's that second contract Camille sued her for when Madonna signed with Sire Records). She was on her own again with no place to live because Camille was paying for the apt. she lived in. She was back to the Music Building. That's when she shopped the demos she did with Bray around the clubs she was already hanging out at. She then moved in with her friend from UoM, Janice Galloway (whom later married Madonna's first a&r Michael Rosenblatt) and worked at the Lucky Strike bar occasionally with Erika & Martin under the supervision of Haoui Montaug. Montaug was also doorman at Danceteria and had his own night their "No Entiendes Cabaret" (he was in Martin's room with Madonna when he died and in 1991, terminally ill with complications in connection with being hiv positive he organized his suicide, Madonna was on the set of A League Of Their Own but was there via phone, his portrait also appears during Live To Tell).

And on and on and on. It's ALL out there. If you are curious and interested in the truth and not letting ignorance spread like a substitute for knowledge.

It's all out there. You have biographies, including the new one, youtube files, websites etc....and most of all the incredible work of Webo1958 on Instagram. If you are interested in Madonna's roots and past and you are not already following this account, do it, it's a goldmine and you even have Madonna's past collaborators correcting or adding things in the comments like Jon Gordon, Jellybean, Gary Burke etc...

:clapp:

I predict Madonna will be heavily criticized once her show comes to the U.S., regarding having her kids on stage along with nude dancers.  You can bet people will come for her.  Much like they have recently come after Beyonce and her daughter, Blue Ivy, for her dancing at her mother's show.  Apparently, her dancing wasn't great, so people came after her online. WOW!  She's 11 year old people. If people are coming after Beyonce and her daughter for this nonsense, imagine the stink some will have for Madonna, by having her kids on stage (or in their presence), with nude dancers.  :Madonna047:

https://pagesix.com/2023/11/26/entertainment/beyonces-daughter-blue-ivy-trained-harder-for-comments-about-lackluster-dance-moves/

3 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Wanna know more about the early days ? Watch the docudrama Madonna & the Breakfast Club.

It is not the whole story though, it's very fragmented, it's only the parts people interviewed and portrayed featured in it witnessed but it's still a pretty good one .

Also found here.

https://archive.org/details/madonna-and-the-breakfast-club-2019_202010

Saturday Night Live S11E01 - Madonna

https://archive.org/details/saturday-night-live-s-11-e-01-madonna-simple-minds

madonna diana.JPG

21 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

I’ve always thought they looked liked sisters. So beautiful! 

Oh yes, I kinda thought the same.  It's so great to see that those two are still great friends since before both became famous.  Thank you for re-sharing the pic.  Both look so beautiful!!

14 hours ago, Prayer said:

The whole "Burning Up" thing "I played this song and my life changed" is just for the story of the show... maybe it's even taken from the script of the movie. Of course things need to be made simple, the whole full reality doesn't fit in a two hours show/movie. :cute:

Maybe so, but we have to remember, there is so much more she's done before she was famous that people didn't document or film, etc.  It's possible she's mixing up when she performed it, but the point is that she performed there and the early version she performs today, definitely makes it sound more authentic. Possibly, she performed it there, but it wasn't her first time, who knows?  I think as fans we forget we don't know everything that she's done.

On 11/26/2023 at 8:33 PM, Fabiolous said:

She's mentioned many times that her first performance was Burning Up on guitar at GBGB's. That's a lie isn't it? As far as I know she was a drummer but she never learned to play the guitar until 2000. Also Burning up was definitely not her first performance in the 70's lol also she was not homeless.

Her story is already impressive, she doesn't have to embellish it so much

Well, artists and celebrities have never been known for being as sincere as possible. They will say anything to be politically correct, give more value to their biographies or not lose the public's sympathy even if the things they say go against their convictions. If only these people would rectify themselves at a certain point, but this is rare and they prefer that the passage of time be responsible for erasing from people's memories certain outbursts that they have said or committed in the past. They will only limit themselves to repeating the trite phrase "I have no regrets" when it is so valuable and humble to recognize your own mistakes.

In the case of Madonna, I think that her knowledge of playing the guitar in those years before she was famous was quite limited and rustic and that is why in 2000 she decided to learn the mastery of this instrument professionally. In the end it is not something as serious, not as serious as her explanation of what happened in her performance of Like A Virgin on MTV in 1984 when she rolled on the floor showing her underwear but, in any case, that is another story.

19 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

In the case of Madonna, I think that her knowledge of playing the guitar in those years before she was famous was quite limited and rustic and that is why in 2000 she decided to learn the mastery of this instrument professionally. In the end it is not something as serious, not as serious as her explanation of what happened in her performance of Like A Virgin on MTV in 1984 when she rolled on the floor showing her underwear but, in any case, that is another story.

I don't feel that situation is anymore serious.  We have to remember she did a dress rehearsal and she has mentioned other things from that performance which actually happened at the dress rehearsal.  To me, it's not her making up shit just for the sake of it.  Let's remember she has done a lot of things behind the scenes and is known to rehearse things over and over.  I suspect she's mixing some of her memories with the dress rehearsal. It's not like I expect she has watched that performance over and over (like the fans do) especially in recent years.  What she remembers might be things that happened in the rehearsal.  I'm sure that is similar with other things she remembers.  Some things stick out more to her in dress rehearsals, etc, and she confuses them with the actual performance.

10 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

What story does the last section try to tell? I'm talking about the Bedtime Story/Ray of light/Rain section. How does it relate to the story of her life? I can follow the story pretty well until that part

I took it as the section with Don't Tell Me is about how she made a comeback after the backlash from the SEX era and found herself as a mother. The section after that with Bedtime Story / Ray of Light / Rain is how she found spirituality again and embraced club music. I take it as this section starts with the early 2000s (hence the 2000s video game graphics in Bedtime Story) then evolves to the 2010s of dance club music then Rain is more about spirituality and overcoming the sadness she's faced in the story.

1 minute ago, dankpepe said:

I took it as the section with Don't Tell Me is about how she made a comeback after the backlash from the SEX era and found herself as a mother. The section after that with Bedtime Story / Ray of Light / Rain is how she found spirituality again and embraced club music. I take it as this section starts with the early 2000s (hence the 2000s video game graphics in Bedtime Story) then evolves to the 2010s of dance club music then Rain is more about spirituality and overcoming the sadness she's faced in the story.

I see, that makes sense. 

21 hours ago, Fabiolous said:

What story does the last section try to tell? I'm talking about the Bedtime Story/Ray of light/Rain section. How does it relate to the story of her life? I can follow the story pretty well until that part

I think it's kind of her finding an inner balance, a centre: she got to NY, the youth, the fun, the joy, the fame, then the AIDS plague arrives and it's like the ultimate wake up call to react to the judgmental, hypocritical and patriarchal morality of our society, she chooses to take responsability and make her point about it, starting to express herself pro free sex, pro lgbtqi+ rights, against divisive and violent politics, against racism and war. She recieves strong, aggressive reactions after that (that's the only not chronolical part: the No Fear interlude should have followed the Erotica/ballroom section imo) and she finds her centre in more concrete aspects of life than fame and public approval: family, love, believing in her own values, no matter what, no matter how people react. That's the point where she plays the last act, where she sings about spirituality and finding a real home inside herself. The finale is all about the iconicity of being Madonna.

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic