Madonna at the Grammys

Blue Jean

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What disappoints me the most is the entirety of last night's love fest of emotion and sentiment and the news this morning with headlines about how women dominated the Grammy Awards. Awww, the Grammys and pop culture on their best behavior.

Remember last year? I do.

I can forgive but I will never forget. 

:Madonna057:

6 hours ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

This thread is very obviously populated by people who have not studied Taylor's work at all and just made snapshot judgments based on some hit singles :laughing:

Wrong. I listened to her faux folk album. It was boring. I was brought up on real talent like Joni. I think you can’t accept not everyone thinks Taylor is amazing.

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Wrong. I listened to her faux folk album. It was boring. I was brought up on real talent like Joni. I think you can’t accept not everyone thinks Taylor is amazing.

I can accept that they think that. But they're clearly wrong and I have everything on my side with that :laughing:

Yeahhhh the *only* reason Taylor won was hype and narratives. Because of the hype of how massively, stupidly successful this album was on the charts (as well as her tour), combined w/the narrative about her breaking the aoty tie w/Sinatra and Stevie Wonder and whoever else, and voila NARAS voters were happy to indulge her. If they cared about artistic quality they would have given it to SZA or Lana or Boygenius.

SOS was nearly as successful as Midnights but they gave it to a Black artist a couple years ago so I’m sure they felt they met their quota for the decade. 

I’ve seen plenty of her own fans admit all over social media that this album was mid af, even for her. 

1 hour ago, MikeyK said:

Yeahhhh the *only* reason Taylor won was hype and narratives. Because of the hype of how massively, stupidly successful this album was on the charts (as well as her tour), combined w/the narrative about her breaking the aoty tie w/Sinatra and Stevie Wonder and whoever else, and voila NARAS voters were happy to indulge her. If they cared about artistic quality they would have given it to SZA or Lana or Boygenius.

SOS was nearly as successful as Midnights but they gave it to a Black artist a couple years ago so I’m sure they felt they met their quota for the decade. 

I’ve seen plenty of her own fans admit all over social media that this album was mid af, even for her. 

Exactly. I think Taylor has done some good music, mainly her collaborations with Max Martin and Shellback. But this album is not Grammy worthy. It is not that I think she is not talented or worthy of success but she has become over hyped in the past few years.

The bigger problem here though is the Grammys. Not only do they favour white artists but they now seem to favour popular artists . Theyre supposed to be an award for outstanding contribution / merit. Once again, Harry Styles, whom I adore won album of the year last year and that was also not deserved at all. The Grammys has become a popularity contest.

13 hours ago, deathproof said:

Because she promotes her work. She shows up to events. She rubs elbows with the recording academy and people in the industry. Just like the Oscars, the Grammys is a dick sucking contest. You can't just put a project out and expect to get nominated and win. You have to work for it.

Beyonce could win AOTY, she just doesnt put the effort in it to do so.

And working for it did fuck all to win her either of the BOS oscars she was nominated for, and rightly so. Meanwhile Billie Eilish is sailing to her second win.

I’m sure it gets under Taytay’s skin no matter how much polly positive bullshit she tries to play. But hey it’s just more fuel for her forever underdog/perpetual victim narrative.

14 hours ago, deathproof said:

Because she promotes her work. She shows up to events. She rubs elbows with the recording academy and people in the industry. Just like the Oscars, the Grammys is a dick sucking contest. You can't just put a project out and expect to get nominated and win. You have to work for it.

Beyonce could win AOTY, she just doesnt put the effort in it to do so.

So you disagree with what Jay Z said?

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

The Grammys has become a popularity contest.

True, but they’ve done it out of necessity. Even now they’re barely hanging on. Ratings are up 30% over last year and yet this is still the third lowest rated Grammys. With all the people who don’t win throwing a tanty over it I doubt they’ll hang on much longer. 

On 2/5/2024 at 5:11 PM, Andymad said:

I just have a feeling we won’t see M at the Grammy’s for a while. The most used picture of her is that god awful edited one from last year with her face, and all the press about it. I feel like I would be like fuck that noise I’m not going LOL. 

Damn I just remembered it was last year… the cursed photo… 💀💀💀

2 hours ago, Ayham said:

This year’s Grammys was decent after many years of being soooo boring… a lot of big names together under one roof. Celine, Mariah… Xtins… KYLIE… 

Beyonce looked as a Toys Story character… 😂😂😂

They really fed the gays this year. I guess they’ve realised that’s where their audience is nowadays.

On 2/5/2024 at 11:19 PM, WokeUpInMedellin said:

I can accept that they think that. But they're clearly wrong and I have everything on my side with that :laughing:

I just hate this entitled Generation Z perception of having the ultimate point of view.

That is exactly what makes Taylor be the Apocalyptic Beast she is.

But, again, people said the same about boomers and millenials, so...

23 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

I just hate this entitled Generation Z perception of having the ultimate point of view.

And I'm sure quite so many people despised Madonna back in the day for very similar reasons to the ones being levelled against miss Swift now. They're irrefutably powerful business women with ultimate conquest on their minds. Certainly I can see how that might provoke.

But I'll be retiring my part in the conversation here, I'm quite comfortable in that my point stands on its own with no further argument.

10 hours ago, Anapausis said:

I still think that about boomers :laughing:

On 2/6/2024 at 3:00 PM, Blue Jean said:

Exactly. I think Taylor has done some good music, mainly her collaborations with Max Martin and Shellback. But this album is not Grammy worthy. It is not that I think she is not talented or worthy of success but she has become over hyped in the past few years.

The bigger problem here though is the Grammys. Not only do they favour white artists but they now seem to favour popular artists . Theyre supposed to be an award for outstanding contribution / merit. Once again, Harry Styles, whom I adore won album of the year last year and that was also not deserved at all. The Grammys has become a popularity contest.

I read that this year their ratings were up - so it's clearly driven to keep themselves relevant and viewed at the expense of real talent and real accolade.

At the moment, it risks turning into a MTV style award show and not the prestige it once had.

15 hours ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

And I'm sure quite so many people despised Madonna back in the day for very similar reasons to the ones being levelled against miss Swift now. They're irrefutably powerful business women with ultimate conquest on their minds. Certainly I can see how that might provoke.

But I'll be retiring my part in the conversation here, I'm quite comfortable in that my point stands on its own with no further argument.

That's the point of me saying

16 hours ago, Anapausis said:

Haven't you got me Generation Z boy?

It's just a generational thing.

And btw what you said I JUST TOLD BEFORE:

As Madonna's approach in the 80's was virtually the same Taylor has ever had since she raised up her wings with Fearless album.

But guess what? I WILL WATCH THE ERAS TOUR ON DISNEY+. YES I WILL. If I watched entire full opening night from Glendale, Arizona through YouTube and managed to stand it to the end (I was decided to find why the Beast's child lives to her title - still no answer), why not spending exactly 4h to 50 songs given I'm already a subscriber to such platform?

She'll be very happy to my 2 cents at her.

And schöner for sure won't be proud of me!

(And he's quoting me rn to other thread as I write.)

I love Taylor but I was skeptical when Midnights won an Album of The Year. I would accept if that's Reputation or Lover but damn, some tracks from the album sounds like demos rejected from the previous two pop albums she made. I don't get it, maybe they just riding too much on the hype. I was expecting that was either Miley or Lana for AOTY.