Was Bedtime Stories no 1 on iTunes only for a day?

45 minutes ago, Askeroff said:

its only shows that it takes 3 copies today in itunes to take #1 spot 

its irrelevant asf 

that's what I was wondering about - if that chart is updated like every hour, or every second - what's the point?  

4 hours ago, zapasowe1 said:

that's what I was wondering about - if that chart is updated like every hour, or every second - what's the point?  

well it has a point when it was big and digital sales is affecting directly on charts

now its affect is like below zero

5 hours ago, Askeroff said:

its only shows that it takes 3 copies today in itunes to take #1 spot 

its irrelevant asf 

This is exaggerated.  Yes, Digital sales aren't what they use to be, but whatever is charting high still reflects what is popular at the time.  The Top 200, fluctuates daily.  It took more than "three copies" to get it to #1 and it would take a lot more than that to get it to #1 today if fans took the initiative and bought it again.  It's hardly "irrelevant" because that chart still reflects sales from one of the most popular digital outlets.  You might not have to sell many digital copies to get to #1 on Itumes, but that's the case with physical sales charts too.  Back in the 90's, album sales were at its peak. An artist had to sell at least 300,000 or more PHYSICAL copies to get to #1.  These days, streaming plays more of a role, but still most artists are lucky to sell 50,000 physical copies to get to #1. Digital sales are quite low as well these days.  It all depends because there aren't very few artists who are selling physical/digital copies these days.

2 minutes ago, zapasowe1 said:

loving the discussion but no has still has addressed my question. OH well...

It was #1 in some countries for a day yes or two days maximum. It was one of those fan organized campaigns to bring some attention back to old albums, they don't tend to last more than a day or hours sometimes.

33 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It was #1 in some countries for a day yes or two days maximum. It was one of those fan organized campaigns to bring some attention back to old albums, they don't tend to last more than a day or hours sometimes.

thanks, so it seems the 'chart' is  updated by an hour? If so, I honestly don't see any esteem in such accolade. So all of the campaign effort just so an album can be screen-grabbed while showing at #1 at 2:59pm while it went down to #5 a minute later? oh, weird times... 

7 minutes ago, zapasowe1 said:

thanks, so it seems the 'chart' is  updated by an hour? If so, I honestly don't see any esteem in such accolade. So all of the campaign effort just so an album can be screen-grabbed while showing at #1 at 2:59pm while it went down to #5 a minute later? oh, weird times... 

iTunes charts are updated every 2 hours I think and every country has their own chart.

While iTunes has become less and less important through the years, yes, I always say this: a sale is a sale. An artist needs to get hundred of streams to make the equivalent of one single sale on iTunes. Even if it's 50-100 total sales in total, it never hurts and shows appreciation and profit for the label and the artist.

If you want to really support financially an artist, especially independent ones, buy their music on iTunes, Bandcamp or official sites if they have, etc. Of course Madonna is loaded, so she doesn't need it, but still is a good way of showing support.