M vocals on Garbage’s #1 Crush

10 minutes ago, Dazedmadonna said:

This is a rumour though, I don't think Nellee ever spoke on it and the only 'sources' to back it up I could find are from fan-pages and others using words like 'supposedly'.

I can't hear Madonna on it and I don't really believe it.

I used to think it sounded like Lady Miss Kier and that Shirley & Garbage were like the dark side Deee-Lite

1 hour ago, Dazedmadonna said:

This is a rumour though, I don't think Nellee ever spoke on it and the only 'sources' to back it up I could find are from fan-pages and others using words like 'supposedly'.

I can't hear Madonna on it and I don't really believe it.

Thank you. Couldn’t find a source for this either.

i found this topic from 2006

https://garbage.proboards.com/thread/3109/all-1-crush

and even Garbage fans was not so sure which are those moans are Shirley or Madonna :jumpy:

and find this 

Yeah wasnt there a pic of them Mid-90s...M was promoting soemthing to remember i think....or maybe before that but i know Madonna spoke with Shirley before because she wanted to sample her "uuuugh" orgasm for Bedtime Story from Ill Die For You (or whatever its called...but i looove that song too!)

This been going out for years already. I've always believed it was true but looking for sources today it's true there are not any. xd

The closest thing to it would be this Garbage performance of 2012 for the song where they interpolate Madonna's "Erotica" at the start:

Kinda a hint... maybe.

If Hooper manipulated the vocals, or simply used an original take, it could be M. It's certainly very similar to the moaning on "Bedtime Story":

The second part of the "aaah" is the same as on "Bedtime Story", but dry, while on Madonna's song as effects and reverb, etc.

Someone ask Garbage if you're going to their Summer shows and you get to meet them or something xd

On June 9 2016 Shirley told Yahoo! Music:

“When I look at Madonna, I think Madonna should not give a fuck what anybody has to say about her age. She should explore who she is now. It would be infinitely more interesting [than her] being concerned with whether we find her sexy or not. She’s got so much more to offer than that. She should be like, ‘Kiss my ass. I’m Madonna. I may be old, but I will always have my legacy behind me and you motherfuckers won’t!’ I don’t know why she cares so much.”

Shirley also recalled meeting Madonna at the 1999 Grammy Awards, where her band Garbage’s 1998 album Version 2.0 and Madonna’s Ray Of Light were both nominated for Album Of The Year:

“I remember that day. I walked past Madonna, and she grabbed my arm. I turned around, and she went, ‘I think you’re amazing.’ I nearly fell on top of her in shock.”

According to the Romeo + Juliet music documentary, Laura Ziffren got Baz luhrmann turned onto the song. He loved the original song but needed it remixed to suit the movie, which Nellie Hooper was happy to do once Garbage provided masters.

In the doc, they note that the single was in a position to be a smash hit, but they didn't have single rights. So they serviced the entire soundtrack album to radio stations, and for a while the R+J soundtrack was garbage's biggest selling album.

I think the band made a choice to just let it be in the end. When "#1 Crush" hit big it was the start of 1997 and they had been on the go for 18 months at that point. According to Billboard, Geffen eventually persuaded Almo into making a video, but it never happened in the end.

A lot of the problem was because the R+J OST and the remix were on Capitol/EMI, and Almo was associated with Geffen/Universal at the time. Almo was also focused on "Milk" because "Milk" had had lots of press over the summer, they had already pressed the "Milk" CD and cassette singles and paid for a "Milk" video which was to promote the Home Video VHS and simply stuck their fingers in their ears.