Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

36 minutes ago, BoyToyMark said:

I think you're both somewhat right. I think its obvious she's not that keen on Who's That Girl and American Pie is because of the associating films. But also what she was going through at the time, in 1987 a marriage breakdown and in 2000 she was more focussed on Rocco and the Music album coming.

With American Pie, she never really wanted to cover the song. Rupert talked her into it.  She refused to put it on the GV2 album.  Who's That Girl omissions are simply because the poor reception from the film. 

7 hours ago, Donna said:

With American Pie, she never really wanted to cover the song. Rupert talked her into it.  She refused to put it on the GV2 album.  Who's That Girl omissions are simply because the poor reception from the film. 

We know she was pissed off when Warner put American Pie into Music. Some people say it fits album, but to me it's unrespectful to change one's artist vision. American Pie shouldn't be present on that record. 

22 hours ago, Cyberraga said:

I remember someone was interviewing her about consideration of adding This Used to Be My Playground, Rescue Me and other song to setlist of certain tour, and she described Rescue Me as "dope song". So that's not the reason why it was left off. 

Yeah but she said that almost 30 years after it's release. That doesn't necessarily indicate how she felt back in the day. She also said she'd puke if she ever had to sing "Material Girl" again and that she'd never do a greatest hits tour. 

8 hours ago, Erotico said:

wow... now June is a long gap for the next ones...

Papa Don't Preach - Jun 11, 1986
This Used To Be My Playground - Jun 16, 1992
Who's That Girl - Jun 23, 1987

Can’t wait for Who‘s that girl incl. the Dub and then Causing a commotion with all remixes, edit and dub. For me causing a commotion was the beginning of multiple different remixes instead of extended versions. 

6 hours ago, Hollywood-Guy said:

Can’t wait for Who‘s that girl incl. the Dub and then Causing a commotion with all remixes, edit and dub. For me causing a commotion was the beginning of multiple different remixes instead of extended versions. 

Definitely. Seeing as we're not getting anything for RSD it would be nice for them to upload the 'Who's That Girl/Causing A Commotion' 12" from the other year haha. Maybe like this:

1. Who's That Girl
  2. Who's That Girl [Extended Version]
  3. Who's That Girl [Dub Version]
  4. Causing A Commotion [Single Mix]
  5. Causing A Commotion [Silver Screen Mix]
  6. Causing A Commotion [Movie House Mix]
  7. Causing A Commotion [Dub Version]

1 hour ago, BoyToyMark said:

Definitely. Seeing as we're not getting anything for RSD it would be nice for them to upload the 'Who's That Girl/Causing A Commotion' 12" from the other year haha. Maybe like this:

1. Who's That Girl
  2. Who's That Girl [Extended Version]
  3. Who's That Girl [Dub Version]
  4. Causing A Commotion [Single Mix]
  5. Causing A Commotion [Silver Screen Mix]
  6. Causing A Commotion [Movie House Mix]
  7. Causing A Commotion [Dub Version]

I can see this probably happening.  At the same time, I do think some RSD releases should be left exclusively to a physical format.  I'm not sure this one is necessary to be excluded from digital/streaming platforms, but releases like the American Life Mix Show should remain exclusive to it's original physical release. :)

2 minutes ago, Donna said:

I can see this probably happening.  At the same time, I do think some RSD releases should be left exclusively to a physical format.  I'm not sure this one is necessary to be excluded from digital/streaming platforms, but released like the American Life Mix Show should remain exclusive to it's original physical release. :)

Agree 

12 hours ago, animalinstinct said:

I wonder why we got the maxis of Material Girl and Angel, but not the title track from Like A Virgin on streaming. Emily got ADHD. 

If you're talking about what I think it's because the like a virgin single is not on anniversary still let's wait till October and maybe till them a reissue will be announced

5 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

If you're talking about what I think it's because the like a virgin single is not on anniversary still let's wait till October and maybe till them a reissue will be announced

Yes, that's my bet.  This fall I have a feeling we're going to see this song's mixes get added to streaming/digital.  Betting we'll be getting our first expanded re-issue as well sometime after. :party:

5 hours ago, Donna said:

Yes, that's my bet.  This fall I have a feeling we're going to see this song's mixes get added to streaming/digital.  Betting we'll be getting our first expanded re-issue as well sometime after. :party:

I would love a LAV expanded reissue for its 40th anniversary in November. But it still perplexes me that the first album had its 40th anniversary last year and there was no expanded reissue for that. It would have been the perfect opportunity to start this long discussed reissue campaign with Warner, with the album that started it all! TBH I have lost all faith that any of these expanded reissues are coming. But happy for my cynicism to be proven incorrect. 

14 minutes ago, prunejuicehugo said:

Do you guys think they will reissue the first four albums as a box set?

Nope. That would be an overkill. 

I predict (don't take it for granted!)

Madonna & Like a Virgin as one

True Blue 

Like a Prayer

Erotica (this one might be not a landmark album in Warner eyes although Madonna loves it, if not the most of all of her discography)

Ray of Light 

Confessions on a Dancefloor

There is also a possibility "landmark album reissues" is refered only to 80s albums. We'll see. For know let's enjoy Madonna's streaming singles catalogue growing.

7 minutes ago, Cyberraga said:

Nope. That would be an overkill. 

I predict (don't take it for granted!)

Madonna & Like a Virgin as one

True Blue 

Like a Prayer

Erotica (this one might be not a landmark album in Warner eyes although Madonna loves it, if not the most of all of her discography)

Ray of Light 

Confessions on a Dancefloor

There is also a possibility "landmark album reissues" is refered only to 80s albums. We'll see. For know let's enjoy Madonna's streaming singles catalogue growing.

Agree. "Madonna" and "LAV" could easily go together (especially if they're not offering much unreleased material, they can put together all the remixes for those albums) but the rest... I don't think so.

I do love the idea of The Virgin Years but my only issue with lumping the first two together is that the Soundtracks songs and the premadonna stuff would be left out. The more defined the eras are the more chances of stuff we don't know about being included.

If there were six or seven tracks that remained in the vault for each era it would be an absolute gag. 

I mean imagine if she's going one the Taylor Swift route and re-recording demos from that era with modern producers (or even pretending those demos were from that era (like Taylor swift has). It's also very possible she has gone back through her own diaries and song writing notes to work on new stuff that is housed round old song, melody or lyrics she's written that never got completed. Just because the Warner data base doesn't have stuff on record it's highly likely she has books worth of ideas and songs that just weren't the right fit. Many many many artists work like this.

Beyonce's Thique from Renaissance was from the Self Titled ten years earlier. 

Liberian Girl from Michael Bad was written in 1983 for a Jacksons album and appeared  four years later on Bad

Princes Strange Relationship from Sign O The Times in 87 was originally written in 83 before Purple Rain some four albums before it appeared. 

George Michael has a few examples of this too. 

Prince and Michael did this a lot. 

If we must continue down the looking back route for the next five years I'd be much happier with this type of approach. Somehow it feels quote Madonna too. 

To think that even these expanded/remastered will ever see the light of day, the discussion will not end because the mastering won't be good enough, the versions won't be the right ones, the booklets won't be exactly the same font...just...what is already being said for the digital singles...

1 hour ago, Roland Barthes said:

To think that even these expanded/remastered will ever see the light of day, the discussion will not end because the mastering won't be good enough, the versions won't be the right ones, the booklets won't be exactly the same font...just...what is already being said for the digital singles...

I noticed while I was at store, current CD issues of Ray of Light use different font for title logo. I'd say I have concerns  about that.

1 hour ago, Roland Barthes said:

But that's a given with every iconic or key reissue of every big artist. It even happens with the smaller ones for cult albums.

They're important for people and part of their lives and memories so of course they're gonna generate discussion. I would be worried if no one cared!

5 minutes ago, Prayer said:

But that's a given with every iconic or key reissue of every big artist. It even happens with the smaller ones for cult albums.

They're important for people and part of their lives and memories so of course they're gonna generate discussion. I would be worried if no one cared!

The discussion will never end hahaha