Single Reissues Campaign - This Used to Be My Playground - OUT NOW

New_Boy

It's a shame we didnt get a terrible Junior dance mix of TUTBMP. All of the 90's girls knew you had to turn it for the gays and girls of the underground. M, Mariah, Whitney, Cher, Toni, Bette, hell even Celine Dion, Leanne Rimes, and fucking LULU had BANGERS in the mid 90's.

That's when I knew I made the right choice walking away from Drag Race. The second those children said they wanted the ballad versions and not the Hex Hector mixes....THE END.

3 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

It's a shame we didnt get a terrible Junior dance mix of TUTBMP. All of the 90's girls knew you had to turn it for the gays and girls of the underground. M, Mariah, Whitney, Cher, Toni, Bette, hell even Celine Dion, Leanne Rimes, and fucking LULU had BANGERS in the mid 90's.

That's when I knew I made the right choice walking away from Drag Race. The second those children said they wanted the ballad versions and not the Hex Hector mixes....THE END.

We really were dancing our pain away back in the 90s early 00s. 

4 hours ago, steady75 said:

This is wild to say. I was a proper house DJ in the 90's and Mariah's Morales remixes were played even in the coolest DJ's sets and not the local gay bar or fuck boy club. 

Dreamlover and Fantasy in particular were huge. Madonna had a couple of songs that were played outside of the gay clubs. I heard the Secret mixes once or twice but she was mostly reserved for the circuit gays in the late 90's and gay clubs. 

Anytime You Need A Friend was also well hammered. I know Madonna had 50 dance number ones but Mariah & Morales really did cut through hugely. Mariah's Vocals from Someday were also nicked and used in a big rave tune called Closer To All Your Dreams. 

Mariah just had that big dance soul diva vocal that many house tracks used. Madonna didn't and that's fine. 

Exactly!  Outside of the clubs I remember hearing the Junior Radio remix of Secret and the Miami mix of DCFMA on American pop radio.  But I also remember remix videos of Mariah (the Bad Boy mix of Fantasy was arguably even more popular than the album version) for both of them on MTV.  Needless to say they were both HUGE when it came to 90's remixes and there's no reason to downplay either of them as some are doing.

4 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

And all of those remixes have aged TERRIBLY.

One good and bad thing about remixes usually is they're always very much of their time, more so than the original productions. They're really time capsules.

Listening to "Finally Enough Love" in its full 50-track version is a good example of this and the evolution of commercial dance remixes through the years. I loved this about that compilation, the journey through the history of remixes through five decades.

11 hours ago, steady75 said:

This is wild to say. I was a proper house DJ in the 90's and Mariah's Morales remixes were played even in the coolest DJ's sets and not the local gay bar or fuck boy club. 

Dreamlover and Fantasy in particular were huge. Madonna had a couple of songs that were played outside of the gay clubs. I heard the Secret mixes once or twice but she was mostly reserved for the circuit gays in the late 90's and gay clubs. 

Anytime You Need A Friend was also well hammered. I know Madonna had 50 dance number ones but Mariah & Morales really did cut through hugely. Mariah's Vocals from Someday were also nicked and used in a big rave tune called Closer To All Your Dreams. 

Mariah just had that big dance soul diva vocal that many house tracks used. Madonna didn't and that's fine. 

Making I t clear I'm a huge fan !! Aside of Fantasy, Honey, My All and Butterfly's remixes , the others I only heard at home or small parties...But from Bedtime Stories on, All the gay clubs were projecting her remixed videos of ALL her singles! And Whitney's remixes were following the course of soul divas house factor ... But then we have to mention the DJs and  C+C Music Factory who started it all with a concealed  Martha Wash, who did it previoulsy as one of the Weather Girls.

5 hours ago, deathproof said:

Who’s That Girl - June 21st

1. Album Version
  2. Extended
  3. Dub

Thank you for the news!

Hope they don't upload a tweaked ("remastered") version of these tracks, and possibly from a good master, not the yellow single one.

They normally don't go this route for the 80's singles, but they did it for La Isla Bonita (for the Remix Edit, that is) and for the Single Edits of You Can Dance, so maybe there's hope!

8 minutes ago, animalinstinct said:

it blows my mind that ‘Who’s That Girl’ only came out 5 years before ‘Playground’. So much happened in-between. I mean we’ve just waited five years since her last album now. 

I think she new she had to switch it up after Who's That Girl (and Causing A Commotion) were in the same vein of the True Blue sound. Coming back with Like A Prayer was incredible.

8 minutes ago, BoyToyMark said:

I think she new she had to switch it up after Who's That Girl (and Causing A Commotion) were in the same vein of the True Blue sound. Coming back with Like A Prayer was incredible.

She pretty much "switch it up" with each new studio album release.  The 90's albums are even more different from each other.  The transitions in the 2000's were really great too.

2 minutes ago, Donna said:

She pretty much "switch it up" with each new studio album release.  The 90's albums are even more different from each other.  The transitions in the 2000's were really great too.

Yeah definitely! The transition from La Isla Bonita to Like A Prayer or even Love Profusion to Hung Up. Incredible!