Rehearsals (spoilers alert)

truerebel

2 hours ago, MPowered said:

Something odd just crossed my mind that I have never thought of before.

What if the ballroom section is mixed with the spiritual section?

1. Erotica / Justify My Love / Rescue Me
  2. Like A Prayer
  3. Vogue / Nothing Really Matters
  4. Deeper And Deeper
  5. Papa Don't Preach

A mashup between Vogue and Nothing Really Matters works SO WELL. I just tried it out in an audio editing software and HOLY SHIT. These two together would make for a killer mashup/medley with elements from both songs being combined into one another. It adds an entirely knew dimension to both of these songs. Vogue / NRM would flow directly into Deeper And Deeper which itself has a Vogue interpolation.

How does papa dp fit into this though musically? 

51 minutes ago, Honey Little said:

How does papa dp fit into this though musically? 

I imagine the strings from Deeper and Deeper blending into the intro of Papa Don't Preach. Thematically, both songs deal with similar topics.

In the context of that section, she could apply the songs' meanings to homosexual struggles. Deeper And Deeper has often been interpreted as a song from the perspective of a gay person that is going to the clubs to enjoy themselves and have sex with strangers amidst the dangers (during the AIDS pandemic) and their religious upbringing. Papa Don't Preach can be interpreted as a song about teenage pregnancy or wanting to stay with a partner one's parents don't approve of.

38 minutes ago, scion said:

Do we really need another spiritual section?

Her name is literally Madonna, which translates to "Mother of God". A spiritual section is literally essential to a Madonna concert and a good portion of her discography, including some of her biggest hits are spiritual and play with sexual and religious innuendos.

22 minutes ago, Pedro Beltran said:

Always babe, always. Where would we be without traveling from dark to light? 

Stop 🤣

14 minutes ago, MPowered said:

I imagine the strings from Deeper and Deeper blending into the intro of Papa Don't Preach. Thematically, both songs deal with similar topics.

In the context of that section, she could apply the songs' meanings to homosexual struggles. Deeper And Deeper has often been interpreted as a song from the perspective of a gay person that is going to the clubs to enjoy themselves and have sex with strangers amidst the dangers (during the AIDS pandemic) and their religious upbringing. Papa Don't Preach can be interpreted as a song about teenage pregnancy or wanting to stay with a partner one's parents don't approve of.

Her name is literally Madonna, which translates to "Mother of God". A spiritual section is literally essential to a Madonna concert and a good portion of her discography, including some of her biggest hits are spiritual and play with sexual and religious innuendos.

She's been there, done it. It isn't interesting anymore.

6 minutes ago, scion said:

Stop 🤣

She's been there, done it. It isn't interesting anymore.

She has also done a Latin/world music section on almost every tour. Let's not act like there's a grand multitude of possibilities for her.

This is a GH tour, so it will obviously have a lot of career references. It it is never 100% the same on every tour. There are always some new elements to seemingly old themes. If you believe Madonna will not take the opportunity to make the religious nutcases mad again, you're wrong.

11 minutes ago, MPowered said:

She has also done a Latin/world music section on almost every tour. Let's not act like there's a grand multitude of possibilities for her.

This is a GH tour, so it will obviously have a lot of career references. It it is never 100% the same on every tour. There are always some new elements to seemingly old themes. If you believe Madonna will not take the opportunity to make the religious nutcases mad again, you're wrong.

But they don't get mad anymore. Nobody cares about her religious stage stuff.

And the possibilities literally are endless. There are hundreds of themes she has never done. Latin and Religious are tired and it would be nice to have something fresh.

14 minutes ago, scion said:

But they don't get mad anymore. Nobody cares about her religious stage stuff.

And the possibilities literally are endless. There are hundreds of themes she has never done. Latin and Religious are tired and it would be nice to have something fresh.

Here is an idea for a theme: a candy shop where everything is stick and sweet.  oh yeah. My suga is raw.

Oh.. wait...

What about this then: pouting nuns...

oh yeah...

After watching GS again I noticed the circular bit could be used for Erotica, Plus some pics showed boxing gloves? There were boxing men on the GS erotica stage. 

Just fantasizing. 

She could also use the circular part for music like DWT. Or even a wedding cake.  I over think.   Well know soon enough. We know she does LAV with billie Jean. 

***** Uninteresting off topic fact but Madges old bodyguard from back in the day went to work for MJ I watched his youtube video saying she was lovely and  then with MJ they were so close he slept in the room next door for years and he didnt touch any of those boys he knew they were from con artist parents, he even left his door open. 

There was a crazy fan called Billie Jean they got to know she was loony... She absolutely convinced herself she was called Billie Jean caught many times and eventually with a gun and sent down for 10 years. 

He also talked about the crazy guy that was shot on Madonnas garden. 

Both M and MJ had death threats.  Sorry thats so off topic. Just going on tour is scarier than you think. 

On 9/23/2023 at 9:20 AM, MPowered said:

My guess is that this was the setlist at an earlier stage (purely speculation):

1. Iconic
  2. Hold Tight
  3. Frozen
  4. Like A Prayer
  5. S.E.X. (Interlude)
  6. Holy Water / Vogue
  7. Devil Pray
  8. Like A Virgin OR Justify My Love (Whole Lotta Love)
  9. Living For Love
  10. La Isla Bonita (possibly?)
  11. Deeper And Deeper
  12. Messiah (Interlude)
  13. Body Shop
  14. True Blue
  15. Don't Tell Me
  16. HeartBreakCity / Love Don't Live Here Anymore
  17. Rebel Heart
  18. Illuminati (Interlude)
  19. Music / Candy Shop
  20. Material Girl
  21. Unapologetic Bitch
  22. Bitch I'm Madonna
  23. Holiday

Madonna herself said that halfway through rehearsals she realized that she needed to add more crowd pleasers and oldies. 

Burning Up, Dress You Up Medley, Who's That Girl and possibly Like A Virgin were the result of that.

I asked a lot of questions when I was helping promo the tour for the Australian leg - there were some throwbacks - M's hair and make up was a tribute to the VT, the setlist focus was the first 3 albums and many tracks were considered, Causing A Commotion was part of early rehearsals, Deeper replaced Don't Tell Me too - the whole thing was partly a tribute to 30 years of touring, hence the VIP book

1 hour ago, GregVsMatt said:

I asked a lot of questions when I was helping promo the tour for the Australian leg - there were some throwbacks - M's hair and make up was a tribute to the VT, the setlist focus was the first 3 albums and many tracks were considered, Causing A Commotion was part of early rehearsals, Deeper replaced Don't Tell Me too - the whole thing was partly a tribute to 30 years of touring, hence the VIP book

Truly a shame because not only is the Virgin Tour one of her least important, the first three albums are also weaker and conceptually not as strong as all the albums that followed.

That said, everything from Like A Prayer onward has been criminally overlooked by her. The Rebel Heart songs work much much better with songs from Like A Prayer, Ray Of Light and generally her deeper album.

The final result is a very very boring and lazy recreation of previously done things in terrible fashion. I hate that tour to a passion because it was such a missed opportunity to finally shed light on other songs and not the same lame options again.

Also: I doubt they truly ever rehearsed a song as unimportant as Causing A Commotion. It’s literally a non-factor in her discography and would make even less context in any part of the show.

10 minutes ago, MPowered said:

Truly a shame because not only is the Virgin Tour one of her least important, the first three albums are also weaker and conceptually not as strong as all the albums that followed.

That said, everything from Like A Prayer onward has been criminally overlooked by her. The Rebel Heart songs work much much better with songs from Like A Prayer, Ray Of Light and generally her deeper album.

The final result is a very very boring and lazy recreation of previously done things in terrible fashion. I hate that tour to a passion because it was such a missed opportunity to finally shed light on other songs and not the same lame options again.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one. I loved the show although Body Shop could have been something else as seeing the show 10 times, I always just waited til that one was done.

I think for all tours following Blond Ambition it was difficult to fit everything in or to align it with the show. I'm hoping with Celebration we see the setlist changed up like we did in the later shows of RHT - eg when she introduced Crazy For You, Like A Prayer, Take A Bow etc 

2 hours ago, MPowered said:

Also: I doubt they truly ever rehearsed a song as unimportant as Causing A Commotion. It’s literally a non-factor in her discography and would make even less context in any part of the show.

I'd argue that the Virgin Tour was one of her most important tours since it helped propel her into superstardom and had hugely influential, iconic looks. Blonde Ambition is probably the most iconic tour. The first 3 albums were extremely popular and had insane amounts of radio play. Causing a Commotion was a #2 hit, had a lot of radio play and is an excellent live song. To suggest she doesn't heavily feature those albums and tours in a greatest hits tour doesn't make any sense to me. 

10 hours ago, scion said:

But they don't get mad anymore. Nobody cares about her religious stage stuff. And the possibilities literally are endless. There are hundreds of themes she has never done. Latin and Religious are tired and it would be nice to have something fresh.

We are having flamenco dancing nuns this time and you know it.