Flashback : George Michael fanboying over Madonna in Smash Hits, august 1984

Roland Barthes

1 hour ago, MartinX said:

I remember reading at the time he was going to duet on Express Yourself at the 1989 MTV awards..that never happened. Instead M presented an award to him…

I'm pretty sure him dueting on Express Yourself is made up.  I don't recall him ever making such a claim. But feel free to dig up a legit source to prove otherwise, because that would have made for an interesting pairing. I would have loved to see that.

2 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

gm.jpg

Smash Hits 2 15 august 1984

I'm a little shock this was said by him at the time, being Madonna hadn't yet become that huge in American yet, but then again Borderline and her debut album was really gaining a lot of attention by this point.   

24 minutes ago, tscott said:

I'm pretty sure him dueting on Express Yourself is made up.  I don't recall him ever making such a claim. But feel free to dig up a legit source to prove otherwise, because that would have made for an interesting pairing. I would have loved to see that.

I'm a little shock this was said by him at the time, being Madonna hadn't yet become that huge in American yet, but then again Borderline and her debut album was really gaining a lot of attention by this point.   

i can tell you the name of the first DJ to play her music in Glasgow

10 hours ago, tscott said:

I didn’t say he made the claim. I said I read it.. She presented him an award. Maybe that’s was the confusion in the press at the time. Made up

or not by the press I remember reading it. So I’m the source….

16 hours ago, tscott said:

George Michael was British. She’d already had several hits in the charts there by that time including a top 10 with Holiday.

Aside from that Wham hung out at Danceteria. Michael Rosenblatt has also stated many times Wham were with him the same night Mark Kamins introduced him to Madonna. So it’s possible and probably likely George Michael knew who Madonna was from the very beginning of her career.

there are some Interviews where George shares his admiration towards the Queen.

"I believe in Madonna, i believe im MJ and Prince" he says in an Interview, making of Faith album i remember vaguely.
Yes a duet between the two would have been massive, especially in the 80ies. Could b as cool as the duet with Jody Watley.

10 hours ago, MartinX said:

I didn’t say he made the claim. I said I read it.. She presented him an award. Maybe that’s was the confusion in the press at the time. Made up

or not by the press I remember reading it. So I’m the source….

I suspect it was worded at the time, that the two may appear together on stage, so people/press ran with it and assumed the two would sing together on stage.  :)