Is she still into the Kaballah?

Blue Skies

I mean people's belief systems are what they are to me.  It just seemed for a while there the Kaballah played a very strong role in Madonna's identity.

She was the first person I ever heard of Kaballah from.  I thought it sounded real cool at first she found something like that she liked and found meaning out of and what not.  But it got to be overkill after a while imo.  Especially when Kaballah was trendy there for a while.  Paris Hilton, Ashton Kutcher, Britney Spears, etc..  all being followers at one time.

Or she still practices/likes it it just is more in the background these days? 

I won't pretend to understand how and why she decided to be almost a spokesperson for it.  I will admit that I was taken aback that she got sucked into the "organization".  Nothing wrong with studying and using the beliefs and tools from it, but I felt like she ended up being used by it.  I'm hoping she sees that now, and that is why she doesn't speak of the actual organization behind it.  I personally think like any religion or belief system there is something to take away from it.  There are tools and ideas that can help you become a better version of yourself.  It's just personally, I am not into any sort of "organized religion".  But I'm all for anyone who studies other religions and are able to use it personally to help themselves.

I'm sure she still practices and learns from it still.  She's just not as vocal about it.

1 hour ago, McDonna said:

I won't pretend to understand how and why she decided to be almost a spokesperson for it.  I will admit that I was taken aback that she got sucked into the "organization".  Nothing wrong with studying and using the beliefs and tools from it, but I felt like she ended up being used by it.  I'm hoping she sees that now, and that is why she doesn't speak of the actual organization behind it.  I personally think like any religion or belief system there is something to take away from it.  There are tools and ideas that can help you become a better version of yourself.  It's just personally, I am not into any sort of "organized religion".  But I'm all for anyone who studies other religions and are able to use it personally to help themselves.

I'm sure she still practices and learns from it still.  She's just not as vocal about it.

Perfectly written! Exactly my point of view, too. 

I think, after the passing away of both Yehuda and Karen Berg, she felt the need to not be any kind of spokesperson for this thing, esp after Raising Malawi incident.

After all, she's not a Jewish as she explicited in that rap we all know.

Kabbalah teachings find echo in several other faiths and beliefs around the world, after all there's only one way to survive in this world of maya - finding the Ruach inside of yourself - "Ruach" is the Hebrew word for "spirit" - not confuse it with the several Hebrew words which mean similar things, such as "nefesh" ("blow," as in the Bible, "nefesh chayim," "blow of life") and neshamah ("astral body"). Btw Kabbalah uses all these 3 concepts as the same way Saint Paul refers in the Bible about "body, soul and spirit" - the Trinity of the Individuality in each one of us.

Ofc who lives in the matter sees easily the bad sides of any cult or sect above any good input they could give to anyone; esp given they believe every single spiritual belief is automaticly frontally adverse to their way of life and personal choices. In other words, they are just as intolerant as the people who throw stones at them - but after all, this is human nature, isn't it?

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

I think after the Bergs had all those legal problems, she kept her distance from them and the K center. She still practices, but doesn’t position herself as the face of it anymore.

Didnt know the center had legal issues but cant say I'm surprised.  

More power to her if she still gets meaning out if/it helps her.  Or really anyone else for religion for that matter.  But yeah it did used to seem a bit overkill for a while there.  

It had its pros and cons with her. It definitely helped to soften her as a person. She is so much more vulnerable than she used to be and so much more tolerant of situations beyond her control. I think both motherhood and Kabbalah led to that. I think she gave them free publicity at the beginning because it also gave her publicity. It helped fuel her Eastern spiritual image for Ray of Light, but got cloying by the time we reached American Life, where she wove Kabbalah concepts into many of her lyrics.

The problem I had with this is a lot of things that were revelations for her were just common sense for most people (i.e. "I learned it's about how you treat people", light = good, darkness = bad,  calling herself stupid in a song to people who idolize her was never going to be popular). We also have to remember Madonna's upbringing , which caused her to have a lot of the personality deficiencies that caused these simple concepts to be revelations to her. She only had one parent, and then a new step-parent as a teenager. That one parent worked and was spread out between 5 and then 8 children, so I'm sure being loud, brash, and rebellious were things that very naturally came to Madonna, whereas those are not common characteristics among the general populace. 

But hey, she always said she would be a nun or a teacher if she didn't become a pop star, and her Kaballah phase kind of allowed her to live both of those out. 

3 hours ago, Anapausis said:

I think, after the passing away of both Yehuda and Karen Berg, she felt the need to not be any kind of spokesperson for this thing, esp after Raising Malawi incident.

After all, she's not a Jewish as she explicited in that rap we all know.

Kabbalah teachings find echo in several other faiths and beliefs around the world, after all there's only one way to survive in this world of maya - finding the Ruach inside of yourself - "Ruach" is the Hebrew word for "spirit" - not confuse it with the several Hebrew words which mean similar things, such as "nefesh" ("blow," as in the Bible, "nefesh chayim," "blow of life") and neshamah ("astral body"). Btw Kabbalah uses all these 3 concepts as the same way Saint Paul refers in the Bible about "body, soul and spirit" - the Trinity of the Individuality in each one of us.

Ofc who lives in the matter sees easily the bad sides of any cult or sect above any good input they could give to anyone; esp given they believe every single spiritual belief is automaticly frontally adverse to their way of life and personal choices. In other words, they are just as intolerant as the people who throw stones at them - but after all, this is human nature, isn't it?

Are you Michael Berg or s teacher there?

20 minutes ago, adirondak said:

It had its pros and cons with her. It definitely helped to soften her as a person. She is so much more vulnerable than she used to be and so much more tolerant of situations beyond her control. I think both motherhood and Kabbalah led to that. I think she gave them free publicity at the beginning because it also gave her publicity. It helped fuel her Eastern spiritual image for Ray of Light, but got cloying by the time we reached American Life, where she wove Kabbalah concepts into many of her lyrics.

The problem I had with this is a lot of things that were revelations for her were just common sense for most people (i.e. "I learned it's about how you treat people", light = good, darkness = bad,  calling herself stupid in a song to people who idolize her was never going to be popular). We also have to remember Madonna's upbringing , which caused her to have a lot of the personality deficiencies that caused these simple concepts to be revelations to her. She only had one parent, and then a new step-parent as a teenager. That one parent worked and was spread out between 5 and then 8 children, so I'm sure being loud, brash, and rebellious were things that very naturally came to Madonna, whereas those are not common characteristics among the general populace. 

But hey, she always said she would be a nun or a teacher if she didn't become a pop star, and her Kaballah phase kind of allowed her to live both of those out. 

Great post.

But I think in general these days people are pretty loud and brash.  Im assuming Truth or Dare is considered the height of her bitchiness pre Kabbalah.  Perhaps because I “know her” watching how she was then I don’t think she’s any more rude than the average person today.  

57 minutes ago, Blue Skies said:

Great post.

But I think in general these days people are pretty loud and brash.  Im assuming Truth or Dare is considered the height of her bitchiness pre Kabbalah.  Perhaps because I “know her” watching how she was then I don’t think she’s any more rude than the average person today.  

True - I'm thinking more about the years when she wore Kaballah on her sleeve which was before this social-media narcissism era that humanity has been swept into. 

5 hours ago, deathproof said:

I think after the Bergs had all those legal problems, she kept her distance from them and the K center. She still practices, but doesn’t position herself as the face of it anymore.

What I would like to know is are her charities like Raising Malawi and her Ray of Light foundation still affiliated with the Kabbalah centre?

5 hours ago, Honey Little said:

Are you Michael Berg or s teacher there?

I'm not religious but I feel such love.

I'm a malach, just as special as you.

Btw answering you properly, I follow a very heretic sect called Gnosticism. Search on Wikipedia. I follow the discarded Gospels (also called apochrypha) by the established Church. A curiosity is that my faith (I don't consider it a religion since it's more of a search for knowledge to me) is seen by some Jews such as Gershon Scholem (who wrote the famous book "What's Kabbalah?") as the "greatest Antisemitic doctrine" as it refuses any identification with the parameters established by Moses on the Torah (in fact, we believe actually Jehovah = Satan).

I was raised as a Spiritist, a doctrine which combines early Christianism and Cathafrigian Church. It's very common in my country and, while it has many flaws, their doctrinary body is still much believed by me. I am used to say I'm a "Gnostic Spiritist," instead of "Christian Spiritist," as the people from this religion are used to define themselves.

After all, I'm just like M, who's proud to affirm "I'm not a Christian and I'm not a Jew!"

EDIT: Some say, knowing my faith and watching me here, that I falsely or loosely follow it, but I believe we as Gnostics cannot be zealots or fundamentalists about its doctrinary body; we can do very normally our own version of Gnosticism, by our very own ways. So I do it. I ain't vegan or apart from the world as a supposed zealot of my faith would be, but what matters is that I do believe it as it has saved my life numerous times.

1 hour ago, Anapausis said:

I'm not religious but I feel such love.

I'm a malach, just as special as you.

Btw answering you properly, I follow a very heretic sect called Gnosticism. Search on Wikipedia. I follow the discarded Gospels (also called apochrypha) by the established Church. A curiosity is that my faith (I don't consider it a religion since it's more of a search for knowledge to me) is seen by some Jews such as Gershon Scholem (who wrote the famous book "What's Kabbalah?") as the "greatest Antisemitic doctrine" as it refuses any identification with the parameters established by Moses on the Torah (in fact, we believe actually Jehovah = Satan).

I was raised as a Spiritist, a doctrine which combines early Christianism and Cathafrigian Church. It's very common in my country and, while it has many flaws, their doctrinary body is still much believed by me. I am used to say I'm a "Gnostic Spiritist," instead of "Christian Spiritist," as the people from this religion are used to define themselves.

After all, I'm just like M, who's proud to affirm "I'm not a Christian and I'm not a Jew!"

EDIT: Some say, knowing my faith and watching me here, that I falsely or loosely follow it, but I believe we as Gnostics cannot be zealots or fundamentalists about its doctrinary body; we can do very normally our own version of Gnosticism, by our very own ways. So I do it. I ain't vegan or apart from the world as a supposed zealot of my faith would be, but what matters is that I do believe it as it has saved my life numerous times.

Thanks for sharing your experiences on the forum. 

Gnostics don’t believe in Kabbalah I assume because Moses is of major importance to Kabbalah and the Zohar. Are some Gnostics anti-Kabbalah to the point of hating Kabbalists and Jews?

3 hours ago, Honey Little said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences on the forum. 

Gnostics don’t believe in Kabbalah I assume because Moses is of major importance to Kabbalah and the Zohar. Are some Gnostics anti-Kabbalah to the point of hating Kabbalists and Jews?

I don't know since I don't know any other Gnostic besides me, I don't go to any temple or church since I don't believe in it nor in any preacher. As I told here, my faith's seen to me as a personal search for knowledge with no need for rituals or any dogmatic imposition. I don't believe in Demiurges (which would be the equivalent of demons to us) nor in any church institutionalized. There are Gnostic temples, even in my town, but I don't go to them and I don't believe in them.

I knew some Gnostics online who used to be zealots about the faith (vegans, introspective, high knowledge about everything) but they seemed pretty arrogant to me. Some of them were even leftist with I despise with passion given the true Gnostic people are apolitical as we see Politics and Religion similarly to how Jehovah's Witnesses seem them (while the latters believe they are traps from Satan, we believe they are traps from the matter to divide humanity and make one hate each other. No matter left or right, they are proven both sides of same coin.)

Personally I ain't Antisemitic despite being of Syrian-Lebanese-Turkish-Palestinian heritage; I have real respect for all Biblical content unlike I used to have until some years ago. After my mom's death, a whole lotta things changed to me. Another thing, of course, is to believe the Bible is the Truth; if someone learns the history of the Bible and its formation will find a rotten chain of bad happenings, to say the least. I know because I did, through independent sources (most from historicians).

I don't hate Kabbalah (same thing cannot be applied to the Talmud for me, but this is for personal reasons), but I don't endorse Berg's attempt to rewrite Luria's hard work most due of his greed and hunger for money, which M herself eventually saw through the years. I suggest you find Lucy O'Brien's opinion about both traditional Kabbalah and Kabbalah Center, it's registered in Madonna: Like an Icon biography; I agree to her pov.

As M brilliantly showed on the screens during the performance of Like a Prayer S&ST, "we came from the Light and to It we shall return." This is a key concept to both Gnosticism and Kabbalah, as we see the Light = the Divinity = the Spirit. Actually this sentence comes from the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas, the most read, known and believed among the apochrypha, given it's mentioned in both Saint Paul's I Epistol to Corinthians and Saint Clement's Epistol to Corinthians, the latter also known as Clement I, a letter which was used to be considered canonical for the first centuries of the Orthodox Church and was written during the very same time of the Apocalypse of John.

A Gnostic soul defines themselves by this lyric from Rebel Heart song: "walking alone, never satisfied, trying to fit in but never been, oh no, I want more, that's what I'm looking for." In fact, the Loneliness is another key to my faith, as we can resume our lives by another M lyric, "wild is the world, and lonely is the path which comes to you."

No wonder I identify myself so heavily to M. A Gnostic soul => a Rebel Heart.

12 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

I don't know since I don't know any other Gnostic besides me, I don't go to any temple or church since I don't believe in it nor in any preacher. As I told here, my faith's seen to me as a personal search for knowledge with no need for rituals or any dogmatic imposition. I don't believe in Demiurges (which would be the equivalent of demons to us) nor in any church institutionalized. There are Gnostic temples, even in my town, but I don't go to them and I don't believe in them.

I knew some Gnostics online who used to be zealots about the faith (vegans, introspective, high knowledge about everything) but they seemed pretty arrogant to me. Some of them were even leftist with I despise with passion given the true Gnostic people are apolitical as we see Politics and Religion similarly to how Jehovah's Witnesses seem them (while the latters believe they are traps from Satan, we believe they are traps from the matter to divide humanity and make one hate each other. No matter left or right, they are proven both sides of same coin.

Petsonally I ain't Antisemitic despite being of Syrian-Lebanese-Turkish-Palestinian heritage; I have real respect for all Biblical content unlike I used to have until some years ago. After my mom's death, a whole lotta things changed to me. Another thing, of course, is to believe the Bible is the Truth; if someone learns the history of the Bible and its formation will find a rotten chain of bad happenings, to say the least. I know because I did, through independent sources (most from historicians).

I don't hate Kabbalah (same thing cannot be applied to the Talmud for me, but this is for personal reasons), but I don't endorse Berg's attempt to rewrite Luria's hard work most due of his greed and hunger for money, which M herself eventually saw through the years. I suggest you find Lucy O'Brien's opinion about both traditional Kabbalah and Kabbalah Center, it's registered in Madonna: Like an Icon biography; I agree to her pov.

As M brilliantly showed on the screens during the performance of Like a Prayer S&ST, "we came from the Light and to It we shall return." This is a key concept to both Gnosticism and Kabbalah, as we see the Light = the Divinity = the Spirit. Actually this sentence comes from the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas, the most read, known and believed among the apochrypha, given it's mentioned in both Saint Paul's I Epistol to Corinthians and Saint Clement's Epistol to Corinthians, the latter also known as Clement I, a letter which was used to be considered canonical for the first centuries of the Orthodox Church and was written during the very same time of the Apocalypse of John.

A Gnostic soul defines themselves by this lyric from Rebel Heart song: "walking alone, never satisfied, trying to fit in but I've never been." In fact, the Loneliness is another key to my faith, as we can resume our lives by another M lyric, "wild is the world, and lonely is the path which comes to you."

No wonder I identify myself so heavily to M.

Thank you thank you! 

also does this mean that your faith feels you should feel lonely?