Should GHV2 Remixed have been a non-promo release?

rayofciccone

13 hours ago, deathproof said:

laugh out loud

Well for starters, it has some hefty omissions, ones that were massive hits (This Used to be My Playground, I’ll Remember, You’ll See, American Pie)

also

The use of that awful radio edit of Human Nature is quite dire, and not using the Miami Remix Edit of DCFMA is murder.

and

The lack of a new song is depressing.

Overall, it’s a cute compilation. But cute next to gorgeous? Gorgeous devours cute.

Agree on the omissions but most of the omissions are on the STR  compilation.  Madonna had too many hits for one cd as she did for the Immaculate Collection.  I do hate the edited Human Nature as it negates the meaning of the song but that is easy to fix.  I am not sure about the inclusion of DCFMA as she did completely ignore WTG and CAC on iC.  Would two additional songs (which could have fit) helped?  Which two?  

54 minutes ago, Sultrysully said:

Agree on the omissions but most of the omissions are on the STR  compilation.  Madonna had too many hits for one cd as she did for the Immaculate Collection.  I do hate the edited Human Nature as it negates the meaning of the song but that is easy to fix. 

So it sounds like we are on the same page lol

54 minutes ago, Sultrysully said:

Would two additional songs (which could have fit) helped?  Which two?  

🤷‍♂️ idk! I don't have a magic ball to predict what the songs would have sounded like had she stepped into the studio in 2001 for this project.

6 hours ago, itzjak said:

A wasted opportunity, it could have become the You Can Dance of the new millennium, but if they had officially released GHV2 remixed, would they have released Remixed and revisited in 2004?

That was to replace the American Life Remix album , after it didn't do well. Something like the Mixshow we got the other day.

1 hour ago, luluthecat said:

Both look absolutely stunning I remember seeing them on my insta explore page a few months back, love your page

Really do hope one day M gives GHV2 some love

The GHV2 (Test Sequence 9/04/2001) makes more sense but I would replace Drowned World for You'll See.

1. Music (LPV)
  2. Ray Of Light (Edit)
  3. Beautiful Stranger (William Orbit Radio Edit)
  4. Secret (Edit)
  5. Erotica (Radio Edit)
  6. Human Nature (Clean Radio Version)
  7. Bedtime Story (LP Edit)
  8. Deeper And Deeper (7' Edit)
  9. Don't Tell Me (LPV)
  10. Frozen (Edit)
  11. You'll See (Int'll Edit)
  12. The Power Of Goodbye (LPV)
  13. What It Feels Like For A Girl (LPV)
  14. Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Radio Edit)
  15. Take A Bow (LP Edit)

It goes from the dance beats to the smooth tempo nicely and DCFMA works great at the end

I was mad as well because she removed the Erotica video from the Video compilation. This was Mum-dona phase and she was writing children books and being all Gwyneth Paltrowing around. She didn;t want to have anything mucky linked to her.

1 hour ago, EgoRod said:

The GHV2 (Test Sequence 9/04/2001) makes more sense but I would replace Drowned World for You'll See.

1. Music (LPV)
  2. Ray Of Light (Edit)
  3. Beautiful Stranger (William Orbit Radio Edit)
  4. Secret (Edit)
  5. Erotica (Radio Edit)
  6. Human Nature (Clean Radio Version)
  7. Bedtime Story (LP Edit)
  8. Deeper And Deeper (7' Edit)
  9. Don't Tell Me (LPV)
  10. Frozen (Edit)
  11. You'll See (Int'll Edit)
  12. The Power Of Goodbye (LPV)
  13. What It Feels Like For A Girl (LPV)
  14. Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Radio Edit)
  15. Take A Bow (LP Edit)

This would flow a lot better

1 hour ago, EgoRod said:

I was mad as well because she removed the Erotica video from the Video compilation. This was Mum-dona phase and she was writing children books and being all Gwyneth Paltrowing around. She didn;t want to have anything mucky linked to her.

Was that even the reason? Or was it just to keep the rating lower?

Plus the children’s books didn’t come until 4 years later. And the video collection was a separate project 2 years earlier.

21 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

It was to avoid a PG advisory on the cover, exactly and make it general for everyone. Same reason why the radio edit of "Human Nature" was used on "GHV2", to avoid an explicit label on what was supposed to be a massive Christmas seller that year.

34 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Plus the children’s books didn’t come until 4 years later. And the video collection was a separate project 2 years earlier.

The video compilation meant to have the greatest hits along with it but she dropped it, along the tour and everything else. It supposed to have Erotica in it and she took it off.

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

She could have put Liquid Love as a new song on this. It’s actually a good song that never got a release.

There were a bunch of good outtakes from Music that could have been used. 

The biggest issue imo is the rather strange song selection. I get that they didn’t want to include all the singles included on STR on this but the collection feels so incomplete and jarring.

I've said it a million times but this would have been the perfect time for them to remix her classics. Imagine Peter doing "Causing A Commotion", Victor doing "Like A Prayer" etc. 

Throw in "Impressive Instant" as the new song with a proper video and boom.

At the time I would buy anything she put out, but this project came off very lackluster even at the time. Those various megamixes/megaremixes were the only thing interesting about it for me and they were promo only. 

This track list is also something to consider for those who think they have the Celebration tour all figured out. Her idea of a "greatest hit" can be....interesting.

3 hours ago, deathproof said:

Oh the packaging is divine tho! One of the best things Kevin Reagan ever did for Madonna!

I adore the packaging, but I have to admit that it always made me a bit crazy that it had so many earlier photos from her career.  There wasn't anything on the album pre-1992, so why were there pictures from those years?  The GHV2 art would have made much more sense for a compilation like Celebration that actually spanned '82--'09.

10 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

I adore the packaging, but I have to admit that it always made me a bit crazy that it had so many earlier photos from her career.  There wasn't anything on the album pre-1992, so why were there pictures from those years?  The GHV2 art would have made much more sense for a compilation like Celebration that actually spanned '82--'09.

And the back cover being a very ugly green-teinted edit of the STR/Versace photoshoot.

She had two really great photoshoots done for the DWT in 2001. I don’t understand why the packaging ended up looking the way it did. It’s a hot mess!

10 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

They were trying to trick people into buying it even though the tracklist sucks

39 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

They were trying to trick people into buying it even though the tracklist sucks

I agree that her greatest songs from the 90s were not the singles. The best ones were on the albums. 

The best songs from the 90s (in my humble opinion) were:

Secret Garden

Thief of Hearts 

Deeper and Deeper 

Erotica 

I’ll Remember 

Take a Bow 

Love Tried to Welcome Me

Inside of Me

You Must Love Me

Candy Perfume Girl 

Skin

Drowned World

Gone 

Paradise Not for Me 

I Deserve It

Amazing

1 hour ago, MPowered said:

And the back cover being a very ugly green-teinted edit of the STR/Versace photoshoot.

She had two really great photoshoots done for the DWT in 2001. I don’t understand why the packaging ended up looking the way it did. It’s a hot mess!

She loved that Regan Cameron photoshoot she did in December 2000? January 2001? She used it for the "Drowned World Tour" posters and tourbook cover and then again for the "GHV2" cover.

https://madonna.fandom.com/wiki/GHV2_Photoshoot

There was something very cool about it, different but natural and fresh.

But I agree the multi-era collage on the artwork, while cool, was a little confusing for a 1992-2001 retrospective.

On 10/5/2023 at 2:57 AM, MPowered said:

That's actually my favorite part of the packaging, lol!  But the whole design is really spot on, like an A+ with two snaps up kinda fabulous.  It's just the content that's...it's not even really bad, it's just kinda meh.

1 hour ago, momosfantasy said:

That's actually my favorite part of the packaging, lol!  But the whole design is really spot on, like an A+ with two snaps up kinda fabulous.  It's just the content that's...it's not even really bad, it's just kinda meh.

album_ghv2_back.jpg

The picture with the piss-color filter applied is your favourite part?