Niki Haris and Donna De Lory Talk Madonna, Celebration Tour, Upcoming Show

It would've been absolutely epic if Madonna had hired them for the Celebration Tour. All the fans cherish their memory because they were her longtime backup singers. They not only sang but also danced alongside her, forming this iconic trio.

After them, Madonna never had backup singers with such a major presence in her shows. It wasn't until the Confessions Tour when there was only Donna left, still rocking the stage with her. But after that, it was pretty much crickets on the backup singer front, they were just backup singers and not very present on stage with her.

3 hours ago, Lorx said:

It would've been absolutely epic if Madonna had hired them for the Celebration Tour. All the fans cherish their memory because they were her longtime backup singers. They not only sang but also danced alongside her, forming this iconic trio.

After them, Madonna never had backup singers with such a major presence in her shows. It wasn't until the Confessions Tour when there was only Donna left, still rocking the stage with her. But after that, it was pretty much crickets on the backup singer front, they were just backup singers and not very present on stage with her.

Because it worked till 2006. Also they are older... are we expecting a Causing a commotion like when they were on their 30's? I'm glad that Madonna moves on from things, and try new always, despite sometimes it could be better or worse, but the same formula it's not a guarantee of success... that happened again working with William Orbit etc... 

Just now, nito84bcn said:

Because it worked till 2006. Also they are older... are we expecting a Causing a commotion like when they were on their 30's? I'm glad that Madonna moves on from thing, and try new always, despite sometimes it could be better or worse, but the same formula it's not a guarantee of success... that happened again working with William Orbit etc... 

Correct!

2 hours ago, nito84bcn said:

Because it worked till 2006. Also they are older... are we expecting a Causing a commotion like when they were on their 30's? I'm glad that Madonna moves on from things, and try new always, despite sometimes it could be better or worse, but the same formula it's not a guarantee of success... that happened again working with William Orbit etc... 

No one expects Causing a Commotion style numbers. Drowned World didn't have them and the three of them still worked well together. Confessions didn't have that style of number and if Niki had been there it would have worked. Rain is one of the more memorable moments from the trio and all they did was sit on stools and sing.

Also Move on? How long has Jaime King and Kevin Antunes been involved in her tours? King has been with her for 20 years and is back again and Antunes was with her at least 15.

Now Stuart Price is coming back on board, I don't think bringing Niki and Donna back would be some big step back for her, especially considering this is a celebration of her musical career that they were both a big part of for many years.

You can't deny the kind of magnetic talent the three of them had together.  And of course, I don't think they ever intended to do the DWT and replicate the magic they had on previous tours... it just worked naturally. Personally, for this type of tour it almost seemed like a given to have them back on stage with her, but alas, it is what it is. People move on.

We all know how shifty M is trying to work with as many new people as possible these days.

1 hour ago, Andymad said:

You can't deny the kind of magnetic talent the three of them had together.  And of course, I don't think they ever intended to do the DWT and replicate the magic they had on previous tours... it just worked naturally. Personally, for this type of tour it almost seemed like a given to have them back on stage with her, but alas, it is what it is. People move on.

We all know how shifty M is trying to work with as many new people as possible these days.

This. We know Moonchie & Kiley Dean (if confirmed) will have some chemistry to M this time.

Speaking of Dean (and given she and her past aren't talked too much here), last year I saw a fan footage of entire Britney's Crazy 2K Tour concert and I was smiling at recognizing a younger Kiley interacting with the Pop Princess and her joking and kidding around. For sure she'd never bet in 8 years she'd work with the Queen.

If I find video on YT, I'll edit post to feature it to show you!

EDIT: guess video was removed, shame.

5 hours ago, nito84bcn said:

yes
yes
she never looks back
after Eurovision
she could do worse than rehiring the two
who knew how to blend
could that be why they are SO Loved by some
:dance:

4 hours ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

I wonder if anything happened between them? Why would she not keep them employed as her backup vocalists forever? I'm not saying they have to be part of choreography and everything, but why not stay a touring team?

I believe both of them have said in previous interviews that they were tired of touring, and wanted to focus on different priorites, particularly family/kids (well, Donna).

I wish they would participate in, like, a sit-down performance of Rain or something for closure's sake, but that's it.
Honestly, we don't need another 20+ years of Niki and Donna complaining about haircuts, going about the place "next to the band" where they were placed to sing (because, let's be honest , they would not be able to hit as hard as Madonna does on stage after 2006) or how much Madonna has changed as a friend.

Oct 23 '04
‘The new issue of Toronto gay magazine Fab features an interview with Madonna's long-time backing singer Niki Haris. 
Niki, who is performing in Toronto this month, is asked a couple of questions about Madonna, and as she showed in the Madonna's Men UK TV interview earlier this year she isn't shy in her opinions and she also says why she did not tour as backing singer with Madonna this summer. 

When asked if she has a favourite Madonna movie, Niki answers Is that possible?! 

When asked why she did not go on the Re-Invention tour this summer and if she would tour with Madonna again, Niki said that she would do it when it's 'reinvention not regurgitation.' She also said she might tour again but there would have to be discussions and she alluded to money matters....’
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/madonnadotrefugees/niki-haris-reinvention-regurgitation-t9320.html

That video was cute, but I can sense them trying to translate the nostalgia for them as Madonna's backups into a self sustaining music duo of their own and I just don't think that is gonna happen. 

I do think it could be magical if Madonna would do Rain with them in one city this tour... or Have Niki do the vocal solo in Like a Prayer one last time, the one gal who can actually do it. 

On 10/6/2023 at 1:03 PM, RUADJAI said:

I do think it could be magical if Madonna would do Rain with them in one city this tour... or Have Niki do the vocal solo in Like a Prayer one last time, the one gal who can actually do it. 

I agree it would be a moment even if they came on during a show or two for a song or two.  It would be epic.  I get the feeling both girls would jump at the chance If Madonna asked them.  I think it may be more about the money as both girls would be more expensive or at least they would have been if she kept using them.  With new singers, she can cut costs.  Also, they all did move on and had families, so while I'm sure there may have been a some animosity at some point, it's probably really not a big issue anymore.  I mean; if she could forgive and hang out with Elton John aftet the things he said, I'm sure she can easily see what a moment it would be to bring the two ladies back even if it's for a show or two.