The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

47 minutes ago, Burning Up 4 Madonna said:

Should someone start a new topic for live streams they find for tonight and going forward for this tour? Might make it easier for us to find decent ones to watch right?

DONE, but for some reason it's pending approval, so I'm not sure anyone can access it yet.  Hopefully @Jackieor another mod can approve it and we can use that thread to post links that come available.

3 minutes ago, McDonna said:

DONE, but for some reason it's pending approval, so I'm not sure anyone can access it yet.  Hopefully @Jackieor another mod can approve it and we can use that thread to post links that come available.

I hope so I have not found one yet. Going for a quick shower and I will be back. And NO am not giving blowjobs for showers at this point. YET!!!

I know I'm so late to the party here, but only finally having time to sit down and post my thoughts on seeing this last night.

Firstly, videos don't do the show justice at all. I was mesmerized the first 1.5 hours straight and was shocked to see the lukewarm and sometimes downright disappointed reactions when I did a quick peak online during my bathroom break (Mother and Father lol). The production is absolutely top notch and a HUGE step up from Rebel Heart. I'd argue it's even better than MDNA, but I need to see the show again in Brooklyn to properly comment...it's easy for the euphoria of opening night to taint objectivity.

Nothing Really Matters absolutely works as an opener, especially if you don't know what's coming. I didn't expect it to go instantly from Bob welcoming everyone to the screen coming up and her coming onstage. It was such a different take on her usual entrances that it really was a welcome change. It was minimalist yet iconic, especially with that outfit. Just seeing her alive and back in the flesh after everything she's been through this year was incredible in and of itself. It was also a fantastic mix live.

The flow was pretty much flawless through the beginning of Hung Up. The narrative was very well done and I loved how the early songs were woven together with samples. Live to Tell had me in tears, literally. Erotica had the arena shaking and is definitely a Top 3 highlight. Justify My Love was so effing cool.

The unexpected surprises of songs like Bad Girl and Bedtime Story had me more excited than any other moments in a Madonna show. Bedtime Story in particular had my jaw on the floor. And then THAT Ray of Light remix right after? Sublime.

Now for the negative:

I was on the floor right by the catwalk. If you're that close, be prepared for difficulty seeing things at times. The stage is higher than normal during this particular tour. I definitely lost her at times.

The sound issues clearly threw her off. I was close enough to see the mental gears going through her head, and she never really seemed to let down her guard again after that. 

The show falls apart concept wise once Hung Up starts. It was odd to have that begin out of nowhere, and the flow never really recovered. It felt like the energy was "off" in the crowd throughout the rest of the evening. I don't know why it was in that section, but that was the first time the semi-chronological take was interrupted.

The song choices were weird at parts. Rain in the finale section? Mother and Father? I Will Survive instead of her own song? Don't Cry for Me Argentina....? The show definitely needed more true classics, based off of the energy in the audience, as well as reviews in the tube after.

Bitch I'm Madonna was a terrible closer, full stop. People were visibly confused when the lights came up and I heard multiple "is that it's?" coming from people close by.

I think it's fairly obvious *something* was cut last night. The sound issues lasted nearly 10-15 minutes, and she ended almost on the dot with curfew. There were a few strands of confetti that fell from the rafters before the show, so I believe there was more to the finale that didn't take place. We'll know more tonight.

All in all, the show has the *potential* to be her best tour ever, but it needs some work. Having seen every tour Confessions-onwards minus S&S, I do think it might be her best post-Confessions show. I couldn't believe she still had this in her after the atrocity that was the Madame X Tour. But the show is rough in parts and deserves some more care. My dad ultimately said 7 out of 10 after the show, and while I thought it was fantastic, after processing properly, I'm going to say 7.5-8. 

I think it's very likely the show was heavily impacted by her injury based on the interruption to the flow and narrative. I also fully believe we'll be seeing changes.

No matter what, it's an absolute work of art and will ultimately go down as one of my favorite Madonna live experiences ever. Anyone here who's going to see it is in for a treat, especially after the Rebel Heart and Madame X Tours. 

Feel free to ask me any questions :)

I believe Hung Up is in that section cos it starts with the Tokischa remix and also it's one of her 'gayest' songs, so it fits right in with a section which is about her as a transgressive artist and an artist who's always stood with the queer community. Bad Girl is kinda a meta-commentary and then you get the backlash with Human Nature and finally acceptance with Crazy For You. She then starts the next section with Die Another Day and Don't Tell Me - ie, I wasn't going anywhere after the backlash (which then goes onto how becoming a mother changed her and gave her strength).

I think it all makes sense conceptually, it's just the the first couple of sections are pretty straightforward in terms of telling the story.

Just now, gafuller said:

I saw in a posting from DrownedWorld that 36 out of 45 songs were performed last night. Those additional 9 songs being skipped for time might be what caused the flow interruption.

There is absolutely no way she was meant to do 9 additional songs, unless they were snippets. The technical issue only caused about a ten minute delay, that's a couple of songs at most!

1 minute ago, gafuller said:

I saw in a posting from DrownedWorld that 36 out of 45 songs were performed last night. Those additional 9 songs being skipped for time might be what caused the flow interruption.

I have a bit of a hard time believing they could make that many changes on the fly though. We'll definitely see tonight, but the only part that really felt "improvised" and not polished was the end. That was a mess, and pretty much everyone around me seemed to agree. She needs to completely redo that part stat. And also, the Like A Virgin part is a joke...she needs to do the song. You could tell the audience was ready to go off for that and then it just...went into Bitch I'm Madonna :rip: As an aside, it breaks my heart to see the Future Lovers outfit being danced in like...that...to a song like...that... :rip:An outfit for a show that sophisticated does not deserve to have its legacy tainted like that :dead:

I also think the section with Bedtime Story and Ray of Light is a huge highlight, but it needs a few more hits to end the show on a high, and the interlude with I Don't Search I Find would work better before Bitch I'm Madonna...I was expecting the show to end and then Bedtime Story started out of nowhere. It was a little weird, though I was also completely slayed realizing 1) the show wasn't finished and 2) she was doing THAT song.

The stray confetti strands pre-show lead me to believe there's more to the show we have yet to see. Hopefully a proper performance of Celebration and Music.

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)