George Michael comments on the Britney and Christina kiss

Starchild

Just now, Starchild said:

I hope you know what I meant, in essence...

When it comes to a peer's creative choices, popular artists have a perspective that the rest of us would not have.

But that doesn’t mean their perspective is the truth and the only opinion that matters, which is what you seem to be implying.

5 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

What was he promoting then ? I stopped being interested after Older.

I know some fans were upset she did that with Britney and Xtina, i'm not fond of both them but his comment is too harsh on them, he comes from Wham which was as bad as music from the Disney Club. Wake Me Up is a stupid song. So i don't understand why someone with his cheap background could look down on younger artists trying, at that time, to break the teenage mold they were trapped into, just like he did. I really saw this as Madonna not being stuck up like her fans are, including me. To me it's really like when Miley was being vilified after the MTV awards and she guetted with her a few weeks later to support her when she was being trashed all over the media. The only collab i regret her doing is with Justin because he's a fake and dull as milk. I wish she did 4 Minutes with Michael Jackson and Dance 2nite with George Michael. 

I agree with everything — except the Michael J part xo

1 hour ago, Starchild said:

That's an outdated argument which doesn't stand up in 2023.

Look at the public flogging Justin Timberlake is receiving, even for his recent on-stage dressing and dance moves.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/21/fans-mock-justin-timberlake-for-awkward-hokey-pokey-dance/

my dad could do better

3 hours ago, BuggedOut said:

But he wasn’t accurate.

Madonna was playing the groom and the Disney Kids were Madonna’s brides.

The Bride and Groom kiss.

I like how people try to make it about more than that, though.

It did kind of play like a passing the torch thing, I remember the word succubus thrown around. In retrospect, look at our girl now versus the others. When the Disney started to mix with the pop music and it all became for the kids of the teen mom’s versus the teen mom’s, soon the Napster came along and it was a recipe for disaster and everyone made perfumes and baby clothes. And now we have The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame streaming on the Disney paid service, my daughter loves Taylor Swift so we spent 5000 on tickets etc. 

1 hour ago, Starchild said:

I hope you know what I meant, in essence...

When it comes to a peer's creative choices, popular artists have a perspective that the rest of us would not have.

I think they used to and what George was implying is the Mcdonaldization of sexy and pop, in a way Madonna was like I paved the way for this but her road was a more earnest road. Madonna’s road to stardom versus basically any modern pop starlet is unmatched in so many ways versus growing up on TV.

I would have loved if she performed American Life with a bunch of war imagery. Or Into The Groove with Missy and wearing khakis? 

NOT!

I love George but this was the VMA’s. It’s always been about shock. The Stuart price remix is insanely good and one of her best. Also, this was just the start of gay marriage equality talks in the US. It was cool to see the bride and groom play from such huge gay icons. I’ll never forget coming home from an audition and my sister freaking out telling me what happened. She recorded it for me and we were just GAGGED! Hahaha

6 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Also lol at him saying he doesn’t like Christina :laughing:

Yeah that's iconic !!

Anyway, George Michael is and will always be my fav male pop singer. He was so talented, as a writer and as a singer. I've also always loved his personnality, very honest. He was my biggest fantasy as a young teen, he was the one who made me realise i was gay, and that was years before he's been outed, so i guess even as a child i had that gay radar lol. I was getting asleep at night thinking about romance with him... He helped me a lot accepting me as gay.  I don't know why but i've always could relate to his personnality. George will always be apart, to me, and to millions of people around the world. A real talent, what a voice...

8 hours ago, Starchild said:

That's an outdated argument which doesn't stand up in 2023.

Look at the public flogging Justin Timberlake is receiving, even for his recent on-stage dressing and dance moves.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/21/fans-mock-justin-timberlake-for-awkward-hokey-pokey-dance/

You are an outdated person... Maybe a mysognist.... Like. I'm an homophobic because I find Saint patron's George Michael cruising desperation.. 

10 hours ago, DickTracy said:

I think they used to and what George was implying is the Mcdonaldization of sexy and pop, in a way Madonna was like I paved the way for this but her road was a more earnest road. Madonna’s road to stardom versus basically any modern pop starlet is unmatched in so many ways versus growing up on TV.

Yeah he did say it came across desperate.  But I think his more underlying take was he thought that performance was beneath Madonna.  

10 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I suppose this was a popular view at the time but the performance stands up as iconic nowadays. I’m sure even George would have a different perspective now.

That’s a fair take.

Most non Madonna fans aren’t going to recall what projects she worked on a few years before that performance to question her motives.  Also helps imo her and Britney still have genuine affection for each other.

I mean wasn’t the biggest fan of it but it’s still the last time I was glued into the VMAs 

1 hour ago, Blue Skies said:

Yeah he did say it came across desperate.  But I think his more underlying take was he thought that performance was beneath Madonna.  

Totally agree, I just like when an artist becomes comfortable enough with themselves to do something like note the damaging aspects of a children's entertainment megacorporation slowly absorbing and beginning to define what is popular music (hi Miley). I don't think Madonna was paving the way for that, she just found their expressway ran through her old neighborhood in a way. 

8 hours ago, Blue Skies said:

That's a really good observation to come away with.  When watching it, that was somewhat the thought I was thinking too. I felt he was careful with his words, so it wouldn't come off as a shady response.  I still don't agree that it was a "desperate" attempt on her part simply because I think Madonna doesn't think of doing such things in a calculating manner. Certainly, I can see why someone would think she could be doing so, but she's always in that mode in trying to make people feel uncomfortable and rattling chains that it's more in her blood to do something like this, than just say, "hey, I'm going to do this in hopes I will get attention".

I think the “desperate” tag goes hand in hand with ageism, and this was kind of the beginning of when Madonna started to bear the brunt of that. Why did nobody say Britney or Christina were “desperate” for participating in it? Were they not also gaining some publicity from this performance ? It is not as if Madonna’s career was dead and buried in 2003. She’d had one less successful album only.

I think prior to this performance people had become comfortable with Madonna being a certain way that was more age appropriate. This was kind of a turning point where she began to revert back to the old Madonna persona of her younger years and many had an issue with that. Including many fans.

This now stands as a career highlight.

I don't think he's being mean-spirited in his response. It's his personal opinion and didn't put Madonna down in it.

At the time, Madonna was kind of mentoring Britney. They both wore T-shirts with each other's names. While Christina was clearly managed, I saw the Britney-Madonna combo as Madonna caring for her and Britney greatly admiring M.

George Michael has always been incredibly particular about his collaborations and how his work is represented, sometimes obsessively. Madonna has been more relaxed about who she works with. He and Elton John often seem too precious for the common world. They might have their reasons, but a bit of humility could make them more approachable, I think.

Regarding the 'desperation' or shock value part: He made a whole music video based on being arrested in a toilet.

A fun thing to do, but he was cashing out on the tabloids and the shock of the public.