Madonna hated director Matthew Rolston with a passion

On 4/3/2024 at 1:59 PM, bstranger said:

She hated to work with him, but one of her best 80's photoshoots was photographed by him (Rolling Stone 1986) and he also directed one of her best and beautiful videos (The Power of Goodbye).

I wish she hates Ricardo with the same passion one day, the most mediocre 'photographer' and 'director' she worked with in her 40-year career. 

You must be a really nice and sweet person to rate him as an "mediocre" photographer and director.

By my standards he is not even a photographer, not even a director, He is just a incompetent and useless one of worst Madonna's bitch.

16 hours ago, Honey Little said:

In my opinion, it’s the worst video she ever made. If she had a good director like Mondino, the song would have reached number one. 

Saying that TPOG is 'the worst video she's ever made' tells me everything I need to know about you.

On 4/3/2024 at 11:09 PM, Roland Barthes said:

The story for Rolston is that she wanted to direct the video.

When did he say this? I find this hard to believe when around the time of this video she was saying that she couldnt picture herself jumping in front and behind the camera.

9 hours ago, deathproof said:

When did he say this? I find this hard to believe when around the time of this video she was saying that she couldnt picture herself jumping in front and behind the camera.

Not like in directing it behind the camera but as in using him as just a technician without a say which in the end is exactly what she did, she got director's cut.

On 4/8/2024 at 11:20 AM, Roland Barthes said:

Not like in directing it behind the camera but as in using him as just a technician without a say which in the end is exactly what she did, she got director's cut.

Thats how I imagine Madonna does everything :laughing:

Well...Power of Goodbye was originally omitted on the video collection when it was 92:99 but was allegedly changed to avoid the parental advisory due to Erotica so it was replaced with POG and titled 93:99...maybe she really didnt like the video at the time but she looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL! And love that green hue. They say green is used to symbolize insanity in film and perhaps it shows her charscter's state of mind in the video which ultimately leads to her suicide.

14 hours ago, Alpha said:

Well...Power of Goodbye was originally omitted on the video collection when it was 92:99 but was allegedly changed to avoid the parental advisory due to Erotica so it was replaced with POG and titled 93:99...maybe she really didnt like the video at the time but she looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL! And love that green hue. They say green is used to symbolize insanity in film and perhaps it shows her charscter's state of mind in the video which ultimately leads to her suicide.

Using the wrong shampoo sent her insane

On 4/6/2024 at 9:16 AM, Blue Jean said:

It’s not a bad video. It just lacks the edge of the others from that era. But that’s kind of true of the song itself, so yes, the video suits the song. The irony here is that orbit didn’t like TPOG and didn’t want it on the album.

It was my least favourite track on ROL, i was always skipping it in favour of Has To Be (i bought that imported japanese cd version for twice the price of a regular cd because i could not stand not having the whole session). The video is boring, even more than the DWSFL one.  But i don't hate them like i hate that toilet bowl freshner commercial that is Love Profusion.

On 4/9/2024 at 1:52 PM, Blue Jean said:

Thats how I imagine Madonna does everything :laughing:

Sadly. I'm talking about the last tours films. 

14 hours ago, Starchild said:

It's a bit amusing rewatching this making-of with that interview excerpt in mind:

I actually kind of recall this.  It's definitely funny looking back 25 years later 

When she said they are both very dramatic people I think she was hinting it was a stressful shoot.

I have the feeling Matt was too afraid to say how he really felt about Madonna there.  Especially if she disliked him so much!  I mean I don't know enough about Matt to know if he was naive.    

On 4/6/2024 at 9:12 AM, Honey Little said:

Yeah that Live Profusion video was a cash grab for her perfume sponsorship thing. It has Careese Henry written all over that deal.

To be fair, commercial one looks more beautiful. Madonna would look amazing while laying on a tide. Overall paradise CGI sucks to me because of mix of the bad and good weather. Sore in the eye. 

On 4/9/2024 at 8:08 PM, Alpha said:

And love that green hue. They say green is used to symbolize insanity in film and perhaps it shows her charscter's state of mind in the video which ultimately leads to her suicide.

That blue/green hue imitates water. During certain shoots we can see screen blurred by water jets - probably the reason why the song doesn't have the proper HD video. Anyway, Madonna said that water is an cleansing element, water itself is the main theme of Ray of Light album. 

I have theory about the character Madonna is playing in the music video. The woman was in so much distress, she considered commiting a suicide, but after she washed herself in the sea, she cleansed herself and changed her mind, leading her to move on, as we see her sitting on the beach.

2 hours ago, Cyberraga said:

That blue/green hue imitates water. During certain shoots we can see screen blurred by water jets - probably the reason why the song doesn't have the proper HD video. Anyway, Madonna said that water is an cleansing element, water itself is the main theme of Ray of Light album. 

I have theory about the character Madonna is playing in the music video. The woman was in so much distress, she considered commiting a suicide, but after she washed herself in the sea, she cleansed herself and changed her mind, leading her to move on, as we see her sitting on the beach.

Beautifully said

7 hours ago, Cyberraga said:

In general green is used to symbolize insanity. Whether its intentional or unintentional, quite fitting!

On 4/10/2024 at 7:39 PM, Blue Skies said:

I actually kind of recall this.  It's definitely funny looking back 25 years later 

When she said they are both very dramatic people I think she was hinting it was a stressful shoot.

I have the feeling Matt was too afraid to say how he really felt about Madonna there.  Especially if she disliked him so much!  I mean I don't know enough about Matt to know if he was naive.    

I don't know. He seemed to be genuinely sharing how he feels here in the video and I don't get any impression of animosity or dislike from his response.  Then again, at the time of this airing, it was to promote a new video they did together, so neither are going to be taking pot shots at each other.  Obviously, they are being quite professional!  I just don't buy she hired him again, to "torture him" as mentioned in the article of the first post in this thread. Why would she hire someone she didn't like or possibly trust for what turned out to be a cinematic and beautiful video. Despite her issues with him prior, I'm sure she knew she could get something out of him for this particular video for this song.  :)