Beautiful Stranger- Happy 25th anniversary

7 hours ago, Robertthenurse said:

I use Madonna eras to help me gauge what I was doing, who I was dating and where I was working etc. This era, I was coming to the end of my first relationship with a man; was working in a factory building car seats, and danced at a place called Boots. Those were the days

Same here, not just Madonna but all my music attaches itself to time and highlights of my life. I use songs as anchors to remember what was happening.

8 hours ago, Anapausis said:

Your jail bitch stated here on forum and numerous times she's a Prozac feat risperidone girl.

My heart always gets a jump when I see one of my meds mentioned, in this case it's risperodone. With side helpings of ritalin to function all day.

Ooh i was 21 years old when Beautiful Stranger came out, summer song Of 1999, the last summer Of humanity before The end Of The world In 00,Castlevania 64, Smash Bros, it was a hit In latin América, almost 5 months In Los 10 Más Pedidos In MTV LA, years later I was very surprised That in USA Beautiful Stranger never was released as a CD single, only outside US, a waste oportunity to have a #1 single same with American Pie. When The song came out as a digital single I was very disapointed with the radio edit of the song without the amazing outro. Lucky me I bought the CD single In 1999

7 hours ago, TheGoth said:

My heart always gets a jump when I see one of my meds mentioned, in this case it's risperodone. With side helpings of ritalin to function all day.

Well this med in particular has saved my life since I've been taking it.

I consider it "my only true friend."

I love Beautiful Stranger. It's one of my favorite songs. Unfortunately, it has gone unnoticed over time, not by the fans, most of whom (99%) adore the song, but by Madonna herself, who, as always, decides to perform the songs she likes instead of listening to the opinion of her fans. Like for example the boring and soporific Human Nature that doesn't make anyone dance and only serves to reproach the defects of a society that will never change.

As for the Beautiful Stranger video, I love seeing that sensual and provocative Madonna who, compared to some videos from the 90s, decides to leave everything to the imagination. That is the level of sensuality that I can find acceptable and inspiring. The only thing I don't like about the video is the participation of this comic actor, Austin Powers, who doesn't make me laugh at all but rather total dislike and rejection. Maybe because I'm allergic to the silly, the absurd, the ridiculous. He is the only flaw in a video as perfect as Beautiful Stranger and that symbolized hope in all those who thought that the spiritual and demure Madonna would last forever.

Plus some "Beautiful Strangers" stats to celebrate the anniversary:

tumblr_o6k7s55CMZ1u2gzw0o1_500.gif

- #2 in the UK and #19 in the US (based on radio airplay only, a physical single wasn't released there to drive album sales).

- Top 10 hit in 17 countries.

- 535.000 copies of the single sold only in the UK (and that was the last check in 2016, should be more now), 125.000 in France, 35.000 in Australia and 25.000 in Belgium.

- 2nd biggest song seller of 1999 in Europe, only behind Britney Spear's "...Baby One More Time".

Current stats:

- Spotify:

Album/Soundtrack Version - 27M streams

Radio Edit - 2M streams

- YouTube:

Music Video - 22M views

17 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

I love Beautiful Stranger. It's one of my favorite songs. Unfortunately, it has gone unnoticed over time, not by the fans, most of whom (99%) adore the song, but by Madonna herself, who, as always, decides to perform the songs she likes instead of listening to the opinion of her fans. Like for example the boring and soporific Human Nature that doesn't make anyone dance and only serves to reproach the defects of a society that will never change.

As for the Beautiful Stranger video, I love seeing that sensual and provocative Madonna who, compared to some videos from the 90s, decides to leave everything to the imagination. That is the level of sensuality that I can find acceptable and inspiring. 

This this and this !!!!

22 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

As for the Beautiful Stranger video, I love seeing that sensual and provocative Madonna who, compared to some videos from the 90s, decides to leave everything to the imagination. That is the level of sensuality that I can find acceptable and inspiring. The only thing I don't like about the video is the participation of this comic actor, Austin Powers, who doesn't make me laugh at all but rather total dislike and rejection. Maybe because I'm allergic to the silly, the absurd, the ridiculous. He is the only flaw in a video as perfect as Beautiful Stranger and that symbolized hope in all those who thought that the spiritual and demure Madonna would last forever.

Human nature is an essential track in her career, but also in her tours, and it's becoming more and more relevant as the years go by. Maybe this society will never change, but that's no reason for Madonna to keep her mouth shut. 

The Biggleworth remix should have been released. That was official but unreleased right? Was that done by William Orbit? It sounds like an alternate Orbit mix. While the Calderone mix was perfect, it would have been awesome if BS got the maxi single treatment the "Music" singles did. 

It's so weird seeing it mentioned in the same year as "Baby One More Time" or "When You Believe"....like....it has really been TWENTY FIVE years?....whew....

Big Ang Drinking GIF

P.S. for the girls who remember Limewire/ Audiogalaxy and the original Future Lovers. I salute you, Mary.

I really like the song, one of her great soundtrack singles. Same as one of the members here, my first memory of the track was on the 93:99 video collection DVD. I thought the video was fun back then, and I still do now. Then I remember the Drowned World Tour performance as my parents also had that DVD, and the first time I actually heard it on a CD player was a bit after during one summer vacation when my grandparents bought me the GHV2 CD (along with Bedtime Stories) and I had it on repeat.

Was always used to the William Orbit Radio Edit and only discovered the full version back in 2009 when Celebration came out. Hearing that ending still feel so weird to me and I end up listening to the edit version more.

19 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Was always used to the William Orbit Radio Edit and only discovered the full version back in 2009 when Celebration came out. Hearing that ending still feel so weird to me and I end up listening to the edit version more.

Worth mentioning also that the album version was boosted very loud (and of course louder on "Celebration", cause they used that original soundtrack album version) while Orbit's radio version remained more quiet and probably true to the original sound he wanted, I think. It sounds quieter on digital and on "GHV2" than the soundtrack and the "Celebration" versions at least.

Orbit himself complained about it (of course he did) years later, about how he loved the song but can't listen to it cause it was ruined by loud mastering, but I can't find it now. Anyone knows how to find that one, please?

• Jackie unfeatured this topic

Yes a bit hit in its moment, and she was at imperial phase there, looking gorgeous and her voice was amazing there, at the same time it was on the orbit style but quite different from ROL theme and mood. Brilliant, one of her many highlights of her carreer. Then they shined again with American pie, and she changed it everything with Mirwais for the next record, the legendary music. She could do not wrong at that time. That´s when I became a masive fan.

11 hours ago, Honey Little said:

Did she mention the 25th anniversary on her instagram?

No but she rarely acknowledge anniversaries on her socials, only the biggest ones from time to time (the "Like A Prayer" video comes to mind and I don't know if that's even on an anniversary date xd).

Some of the old digital singles releases were shared on her socials but that's probably her team, not her directly.