Madonna to 'begin filming biopic starring Julia Garner in the next 12 months' after project was shelved during her Celebration Tour

We shouldn't forget that this doesn't need to be an exhaustive tell-all project covering her entire life.

Madonna has always been in the public eye, so she probably doesn't want to spend energy discussing ex-husbands and chart-topping albums. Instead, I believe she wants to focus on what propelled her to global stardom from her humble beginnings, including her relationships and the artistic scene that shaped her.

Ending with her BA  makes sense, as that was the peak of her career.

She needs to do a serie, period. No way she and we will be satisfied with two hours. There's just too many interesting things to tell. Ending at BAT would be very frustrating. She won't even be able to tell about her important work in Malawi, that is something people need to know. Same for the coma and near death incident, that is something to tell. Becoming a mother, another important turning point in her life. Kabalah is another topic that is worth being mentionned as it changed her way of seeing life, the spiritual side... And i refuse to believe they will make 50 flash forward in the last 15 minutes of the movie to tell everything about the next 30 years that they couldn't tell, that would be ridiculous.

Wasn't she working on the Evita era while making the storyline with Diablo Cody in an Instagram live once ?! I think i remember that. If so, then it rule out the rumor the movie ends at the BAT.

47 minutes ago, Redha DBL said:

She needs to do a serie, period. No way she and we will be satisfied with two hours. There's just too many interesting things to tell. Ending at BAT would be very frustrating. She won't even be able to tell about her important work in Malawi, that is something people need to know. Same for the coma and near death incident, that is something to tell. Becoming a mother, another important turning point in her life. Kabalah is another topic that is worth being mentionned as it changed her way of seeing life, the spiritual side... And i refuse to believe they will make 50 flash forward in the last 15 minutes of the movie to tell everything about the next 30 years that they couldn't tell, that would be ridiculous.

Wasn't she working on the Evita era while making the storyline with Diablo Cody in an Instagram live once ?! I think i remember that. If so, then it rule out the rumor the movie ends at the BAT.

Yes she was. But a lot of work has been done on the script since then. And she’s talked about cutting huge chunks off more recently. So no, it doesn’t really rule out the rumour. That said, it is just a rumour.

5 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

Yeah, the things I'm interested the most actually are the beginning of her huge success, the madness of it (the WTGT experience especially) and the business attitude growing, the Sex inspiration (how she got to it as a post-feminist and female autodetermination statement) and shitstorm (I dream about a short recreation of the David Letterman interview ... even if with Garner that gritty, insolent attitude would feel hardly authentic imo, sorry), her Malawi project and adoption experience and the recent years ageism. I'm less curious about her childhood or her 70s clubs nights out, I'm more interested to see how she tells what we lived from the other side. 

I just finished watching Cyndi Lauper's "Let The Canary Sing".  While I enjoyed it, if Madonna went the documentary route like Cyndi, I would be disappointed if it's anything like Cyndi's.  It definitely focused on her beginnings and when she hit it big, but then it just glossed over everything and anything after that. I felt like there were a lot missing things she could have shared throughout the 90's and 2000's.  However, the documentary basically went from how she started to her first album's success and then straight into her LGBTQ+ contributions (which is important), but it really left out much from the 90's and onward.  It just glossed over her lack of success in the 90's.  I think Cyndi's doc could have been fleshed out better than that.  It's definitely an example of what I don't want to see of Madonna's film even if it isn't a documentary.  To me, Madonna's 90's were just as successful as the 80's.  Madonna made a big shift in that period as well while I didn't feel Cyndi did!  Also, it's hard to compare the two being Cyndi was never looking to be the popular artist Madonna wanted to be.  She struggled with just being an artist especially in the 90's.  She knew that without the popularity, her music wouldn't get the same attention as before.

19 minutes ago, Donna said:

I just finished watching Cyndi Lauper's "Let The Canary Sing".  While I enjoyed it, if Madonna went the documentary route like Cyndi, I would be disappointed if it's anything like Cyndi's.  It definitely focused on her beginnings and when she hit it big, but then it just glossed over everything and anything after that. I felt like there were a lot missing things she could have shared throughout the 90's and 2000's.  However, the documentary basically went from how she started to her first album's success and then straight into her LGBTQ+ contributions (which is important), but it really left out much from the 90's and onward.  It just glossed over her lack of success in the 90's.  I think Cyndi's doc could have been fleshed out better than that.  It's definitely an example of what I don't want to see of Madonna's film even if it isn't a documentary.  To me, Madonna's 90's were just as successful as the 80's.  Madonna made a big shift in that period as well while I didn't feel Cyndi did!  Also, it's hard to compare the two being Cyndi was never looking to be the popular artist Madonna wanted to be.  She struggled with just being an artist especially in the 90's.  She knew that without the popularity, her music wouldn't get the same attention as before.

These films and docos about legacy artists are made for the GP, not the hardcore fans. So while we may want to see the details of their quieter less known about years, most others don’t and there just isn’t as big of a market for that. Most people don’t care about anything Cyndi did past the 80’s and would be totally bored.

In Madonna’s case, she could probably go up the early to mid 2000’s with this film which is quite remarkable really. But cramming it all in wouldn’t make a great film so I would not be surprised if it ending at BAT is actually true.

16 hours ago, botella11 said:

I would honestly LOVE a biopic focusing on the period going from the ending of BAT (career peak) to the launch of ROL (or the birth of Lourdes). It would cover Erotica, SEX, the whole BTS campaign, etc.

Same, but that kind of thing is unlikely to eventuate until after she passes away (not to be morbid about it).

That is when the niche angles of an icon's life story start to present themselves in various forms of media.

20 minutes ago, Starchild said:

Same, but that kind of thing is unlikely to eventuate until after she passes away (not to be morbid about it).

That is when the niche angles of an icon's life story start to present themselves in various forms of media.

Madonna: Lost Innocence is from 1993. M was doing Girlie by then.

3 hours ago, LongIslandTea said:

Does Elton John's biopic covers his entire career? 

Based on Wiki, it started from 1950 until "I'm Still Standing" (1983).

Hence I dun think her biopic should try to cramp everything together. Maybe till ROL? 

I think the biopic will cover until 1990. and then depending on how it performs in the box office I think they could greenlit a mini series for the rest of the story. People just want a good rags to riches story, and her 'Sex' struggles, pregnancy, Evita, Malawi, kids, etc. may not be very interesting to the general public but might be successful on streaming.

26 minutes ago, GhostOrchid said:

Apparently no new album, period. 

Or did I misinterpret hew Instagram post after her last Mexico date where she wrote: "Not only was my show complete in Mexico- but my entire artistic career!!" :thinker:

She was referring to wrapping up the tour, not her career.  If she was retiring at any capacity, it would be HUGE news.  Madonna isn't going to stop until she physically can't anymore.  New music will come.  I'm gonna bet it will happen within the next year.  She'll probably start recording a new album this fall.  Unless she gets the Biopic script green lighted and starts on that first. 

2 minutes ago, Donna said:

She was referring to wrapping up the tour, not her career.  If she was retiring at any capacity, it would be HUGE news.  Madonna isn't going to stop until she physically can't anymore.  New music will come.  I'm gonna bet it will happen within the next year.  She'll probably start recording a new album this fall.  Unless she gets the Biopic script green lighted and starts on that first. 

I'm just saying.. this is what she wrote, word-for-word and I'm quoting: "Not only was my show complete in Mexico- but my entire artistic career!!"

I hope not though. But she might focus on movies, book, etc. instead.

8 minutes ago, GhostOrchid said:

I'm just saying.. this is what she wrote, word-for-word and I'm quoting: "Not only was my show complete in Mexico- but my entire artistic career!!"

I hope not though. But she might focus on movies, book, etc. instead.

She was referring to the show/tour... completely covered her artistic career, not that she was retiring. LOL! Again, if she was going to retire it would be HUGE news.  No worries!  She isn't retiring anytime soon.  :)

8 minutes ago, Donna said:

She was referring to the show/tour... completely covered her artistic career, not that she was retiring. LOL! Again, if she was going to retire it would be HUGE news.  No worries!  She isn't retiring anytime soon.  :)

I hope not. it is a strange choice of words though, and relating Mexico to her completed career

1 minute ago, GhostOrchid said:

I hope not. it is a strange choice of words though, and relating Mexico to her completed career

I do agree it was worded strangely, but it's obvious she's referring to the tour/show was complete in covering her artistic career.  She'll be back with new music soon. :)

5 hours ago, LongIslandTea said:

Does Elton John's biopic covers his entire career? 

Based on Wiki, it started from 1950 until "I'm Still Standing" (1983).

Hence I dun think her biopic should try to cramp everything together. Maybe till ROL? 

I haven’t seen it but that seems like a questionable point to end his life story. Wasn’t he still a cokehead in a sham heterosexual marriage at that point? Lol.

10 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

I haven’t seen it but that seems like a questionable point to end his life story. Wasn’t he still a cokehead in a sham heterosexual marriage at that point? Lol.

The film is actually pretty terrific. Not meaning to spoil it for anyone, but the film does end where he comes to an epiphany, after having a heart attack, that he needs to clean his act up.  He also comes to the realization that he doesn't need the approval of his parents as well as rekindles his friendship with his long time collaborator Bernie.  The film ends with an epilogue, mentioning how many years he's been sober, that he's happily married to his partner David and has two children.