Thoughts on RHT Interludes

Xander

*Spoilers ahead if you don't know the setlist and other details*

I have to say that I was kind of disappointed by this tour's crop of interludes; Messiah, S.E.X., and Illuminati were all true to their album versions, with the exception of S.E.X. featuring tidbits of Justify My Love. Furthermore, the videos lacked their usual flair, and were rehashes of old footage or stock footage. Messiah featured scenes from the Ghost Town video, S.E.X. featured images from various Erotica/Sex Book era videos, and Illuminati was various images of war and religious groups and love. 

That being said, the dance numbers that occurred during the interludes were incredibly striking, especially during Illuminati. So, perhaps the videos were less flashy in order to not detract from the dancers. But I think about all the great mixes and videos we've had in the past; WIFLFAG (DWT), Bedtime Story (RIT), Rain (S&S), DAD (S&S), and JML (MDNA), to name a few of my favorites....*sigh*

What do you guys think?

I really enjoyed messiah! Especially the dancing. Wasn't even noticing the screen but when I did it was always a great shot of M. Sex, it was fun to watch the screen and hear the mix with jml, however I couldn't even see what was happening on stage, this one will look great on dvd. Illuminati was amazing from all aspects. No need for new footage on the screens bc no one was watching that! So all was very well I thought! Reminded me a bit of confessions interlude. Also I appreciate the much more intimate very lovelyâ¤ï¸

Illuminati is amazing! People in Quebec City really livened up to seeing the dancers bending every which way.Personally I love the S.E.X./Justify My Love one. Not sure why but it it's so mysterious however I expected more from the dancers especially in 'a lesson in sexology'. They don't really seem to do much.Messiah is boring, just the Ghosttown video really. The lighting panel isn't too impressive either as I immediately thought of Kylie's Get Outta My Way video.The Iconic one is so addictive though! The #SecretProject monologue paired with Madonna Monroe is so great. I really hope they decide to release it as a treat for the fans.

Illuminati seems to be the best one but just because of the poles thing.

S.E.X is like a bad tribute show... sorry... shame they discarded the teacher footage. I wouldve liked a better backdrop.

Messiah is a bit pointless. Its pretty seeing the guy play with the piece of fabric, but.... I would've liked a better backdrop too.

Justify My Love on MDNA Tour had more entertaining coreography than most of these.

Her tours usually have one amazing interlude, but this time that big production went to the intro... with the secretproject speech (which I've had enough of tbh), but I love it anyway. And I hope it gets released online eventually.

I really just felt like all three songs used for the interludes, since they were straight up songs and not really remixed, doing three videos for those songs would've been amazing. But she didn't. She never does actual music video style interludes for every interlude but I always wish she would some time.

Illuminati seems to be the best one but just because of the poles thing.

S.E.X is like a bad tribute show... sorry... shame they discarded the teacher footage. I wouldve liked a better backdrop.

Messiah is a bit pointless. Its pretty seeing the guy play with the piece of fabric, but.... I would've liked a better backdrop too.

Justify My Love on MDNA Tour had more entertaining coreography than most of these.

Her tours usually have one amazing interlude, but this time that big production went to the intro... with the secretproject speech (which I've had enough of tbh), but I love it anyway. And I hope it gets released online eventually.

the teacher footage is shown on the backdrop under the dancers :)

and if u note the main backdrop...the footage it's not entirely from the erotica video...there are new footage by tom munro in the beginning, in the end and in the middle (in this part you can see the teacher played by madge)

If I remember the video where I saw it, I will post it soon XD

I actually like them tbh! I know they seem to be lazy, not so fantasy but it is only when you watch them alone. When you watch the whole thing, the full show it fits perfectly tbqh. It just something different from what she has done in recent years. 

And don't forget that the most important footage (I mean opening) is awesome. And it's her first footage opening since CT.

and if u note the main backdrop...the footage it's not entirely from the erotica video...there are new footage by tom munro in the beginning, in the end and in the middle (in this part you can see the teacher played by madge)

Right! You can see the new footage on the middle of the song where she "raps" about the sexual items or smth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bwG1EeRc8I

8:28

Amazing discover! And I'd say... also in the past there was no need for 'new' footages all the time to create wonderful backdrops! Take Confessions Tour (a tour generally assumpted as one of her best): the only new material was the Future Lovers footage: all interludes was made from 'recycled' stuff (to use a word frequently used these days): The LTT one was all graphics.... the Sorry Remix was made from Sorry B-Roll material, not newly shooted; The Music Inferno one was created with Klein's COADF photoshoot b-roll footages (the same used in Get Together backdrop)... and so on... and nobody said at the time it was a lazy show :) So what's new? This time we had amazing things going on on stage during the interludes... Messiah is breathtaking...S.E.X. is dark and kind-of-haunting with those beds on stage...Illuminati a great acrobatic number and very surprising, imo ... I'm perfectly OK with these interludes / visuals... these are my thoughts anyway...

I think these interludes are much better than the previous several tours. It's unlikely she would have sung any of these live so they are not wasted, nor they are "deconstructed" with some weird remix. I always thought the Justify My Love interlude of MDNA Tour was dreadful with that mix. I hate when old songs are wasted on interludes, she could always sing them live, it only worked for Bedtime Story on RIT. Even worse when she performs a new song and then she includes an interlude of the same song when there could have been other album tracks used!

Of course it's a bit disappointing that she did not film new footage but this time she spent money on her actual music videos and not vice versa.

Yes, I must admit that I was very dissapointed of these interludes.

I'm not saying about the thing that happen on stage, but about the backdrops and - first of all - the music. Why did she decided to use here the album versions? Everyone can remember those great remixes or mash-ups, like "Best Friend/ Heartbeat", "Get Stupid" or the remix of "Sorry". And I really miss that.

I can't see anything.

It makes no sense, why does she try to "hide" new footage under the dancers or put a few seconds of it between the Erotica/Sex-era scenes? BTW, do we REALLY (like really-really-really) know that she shot those 'sex teacher scenes', or are those just a guess after a post that Madonna made with that picture on instagram or somewhere else?

I much prefer the interludes from her previous tours on the whole, as it feels like a lot of work went into them, e.g. Bedtime story (RIT) is exceptional, and I really like justify my love (mdna).overall, the ones from this tour don't compare, although, I do think s.e.x essentially over the erotica video works well. It's dark, seductive, mysterious and erotic I guess, but I think sensual/sexy imagery from other videos could have been used maybe, such as justify my love, human nature and the crawling to drink milk in express yourself is very sexy to me! lol :-D

Yes, I must admit that I was very dissapointed of these interludes.I'm not saying about the thing that happen on stage, but about the backdrops and - first of all - the music. Why did she decided to use here the album versions? Everyone can remember those great remixes or mash-ups, like "Best Friend/ Heartbeat", "Get Stupid" or the remix of "Sorry". And I really miss that.I can't see anything.It makes no sense, why does she try to "hide" new footage under the dancers or put a few seconds of it between the Erotica/Sex-era scenes? BTW, do we REALLY (like really-really-really) know that she shot those 'sex teacher scenes', or are those just a guess after a post that Madonna made with that picture on instagram or somewhere else?

And there is not interesting footage being showed on the screen under the beds,with all the recordings on YouTube, I was able to see just slow motion videos of the board with math stuff, different shadows, and some footage of the classroom, the floor and students getting in the classroom, is not the big thing.

You can see it here:

For me those interludes are not interestings.

Messiah = using Ghosttown video and a man dancing with fans around him... 

SEX = Erotica video with similar coreography to another artist

Illuminati = New everything, but we have seen better interludes (Paradise on DWT, Bedtime, Get stupid, Nobody knows me)