Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

It really is fascinating reading all the detailed information on Lucky Star and Borderline. Thank you to everyone that clarifies everything it's so helpful.  For me personally I always loved the version of Lucky Star on the VHS "Madonna" which has the echo on the "He Yeahs" which is think is an edit of the extended / New / US Mix. I also had the 'It's That Girl' cassette back in the day and so that was my go to version of  "Borderline" with the additional echos. Whichever version of Borderline plays I still do the echo in my head even when it's not there. I can't say I noticed much else as I must not have the same ear as others. I never knew about the cowbell or even heard it until this thread ha ha. 

I love having all the official single edits / mixes in a playlist  but I also make my own singles playlist with the versions I like best so win all round for me. 

10 hours ago, Holger said:

It is used on the original 1984 video, that is also on The Immaculate Collection VHS and Laser Disc.

The Immaculate Collection DVD has the remix video, that is also on the 1984 Madonna 4 video clips VHS.

The Celebration DVD does NOT use the original 7" Edit. It's a "bad" attempt to recreate the original 7" Edit, but the intro is different.

Do you have a rip of that version on the Celebration DVD? I always thought Lucky Star was the same version as The Immaculate Collection VHS and Laserdisc.

No need I looked on my Celebration DVD 

8 hours ago, arigituloh said:

true, that's why there are Tagging like

Edit - album edited down

Remix - with additional or changes here and there

Remix Edit - the edited down or structural changes of Remix ( cause it would be weird if it's tag Re-Remix, I don't think M has tagging like Re-Remix on her singles)

The beauty 0f M's releases 

Except, the 7" Remix of Borderline was tagged as just "Edit" on most versions… 🫠 They probably did that to be able to differentiate that from the Remix Edit.

6 hours ago, MikeyK said:

Lol this is what I keep referring to, the ticka-ticka-ticka that drives me crazy on the proper album version.

I notice the other slight arrangement differences too. Synths or something, couldn’t put my finger on it. The album version’s arrangement is a little more plain in that respect.

Interesting that this song got that much of a rehaul for a single release back in 1984. Maybe she still just wasn’t happy w/Reggie’s production, even after whatever Jellybean supposedly did to “sweeten” it.

I think she's just not a huge fan of the song. It’s one of those mellow, slightly cheesy midtempo songs she loves to pretend never existed:

Borderline, Angel, True Blue, Cherish, Love Profusion

I've done some comparisons and think I have worked out the Lucky Star videos:

7" Edit (4:01) (The real 7" Edit)

From It's That Girl Cassette and on streaming services, does not have a noise at around 21 second mark, which can be found on The Immaculate Collection VHS and The Immaculate Collection Laserdisc.

7" Edit (3:53) 

On Compilation Various Album GoldDisc™ 131. Noise at 16 second mark, which can be found on the Celebration DVD and on YouTube.

I made allowances for the silence on the real 7" Edit Video at the beginning

Let me know if I'm right or I'm hearing things.

EDIT: The Immaculate Collection DVD plays the remix video and it's on the 1984 VHS (5:04)

11 hours ago, arigituloh said:

yess they just add "Mix" tag 
like Causing a Commotion Single Mixes of it's Remixes for example I guess

but  think it could called Single Edit as well

I think we should take record companies' naming conventions with a grain of salt. They don't really seem to have any rhyme or reason for how they use the words "mix", "remix" and "version". They'll even use different terms to describe the same EXACT track on different releases. 

10 hours ago, MikeyK said:

Lol this is what I keep referring to, the ticka-ticka-ticka that drives me crazy on the proper album version.

I notice the other slight arrangement differences too. Synths or something, couldn’t put my finger on it. The album version’s arrangement is a little more plain in that respect.

Interesting that this song got that much of a rehaul for a single release back in 1984. Maybe she still just wasn’t happy w/Reggie’s production, even after whatever Jellybean supposedly did to “sweeten” it.

I'm assuming it got an overhaul because that ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka sounds (which is the hi-hat cymbals of a shitty drum machine) drove everyone nuts. The biggest difference between the album version and the Jellybean remixes is the replacement of that drum machine with a live drummer. 

3 hours ago, JustinTimes said:

I've done some comparisons and think I have worked out the Lucky Star videos:

From It's That Girl Cassette and on streaming services, does not have a noise at around 21 second mark, which can be found on The Immaculate Collection VHS and The Immaculate Collection Laserdisc.

On Compilation Various Album GoldDisc™ 131. Noise at 16 second mark, which can be found on the Celebration DVD and on YouTube.

I made allowances for the silence on the real 7" Edit Video at the beginning

Let me know if I'm right or I'm hearing things.

O.M.G.

I never realized the Gold Disc version and the video version are the same! Except, they kind of aren't...

The Gold Disc version is at a faster running speed and fades out earlier. So I guess that means they really aren't the same version...? Or are they? The structure of the both tracks is the same. So do we now refer to the Gold Disc version as the video version?

Wrong answers only. 

50 minutes ago, clkelley39 said:

O.M.G.

I never realized the Gold Disc version and the video version are the same! Except, they kind of aren't...

The Gold Disc version is at a faster running speed and fades out earlier. So I guess that means they really aren't the same version...? Or are they? The structure of the both tracks is the same. So do we now refer to the Gold Disc version as the video version?

Wrong answers only. 

Remember, there's silence at the beginning and end of the video. Looks like there's 3 video versions of Lucky Star 😮

19 minutes ago, JustinTimes said:

Remember, there's silence at the beginning and end of the video. Looks like there's 3 video versions of Lucky Star 😮

That is true, but I imported both tracks into Logic and tried to align them but couldn't. I guess this could also be done in Audacity. It's clear that the Gold Disc rip plays faster than the Celebration DVD rip. I would say that the Gold Disc rip is the "correct" one since it's ripped from CD and the Celebration DVD source is presumably some sort of analog video master like a betamax tape. 

21 minutes ago, JustinTimes said:

Wait - three? 

I know of the one from the Celebration DVD and the one from The Immaculate Collection DVD, which is the same as the old Madonna VHS/LD. 

15 minutes ago, clkelley39 said:

Wait - three? 

I know of the one from the Celebration DVD and the one from The Immaculate Collection DVD, which is the same as the old Madonna VHS/LD. 

There's the remix video on The Immaculate Collection DVD (5:04) 

That's different to The Immaculate Collection VHS/Laserdisc 

Who is Chris Lord-Alge and why is he credited for La Isla Bonita on the Immaculate Collection?

Also, why are so many tracks labeled "edit" or "remix" and others aren't? Weren't they all new edits and remixes anyway?

@Prayerto your knowledge, is it possible to replace the cover of an album on Spotify without taking it down and reuploading? The cover of The Immaculate Collection is looking GRAINY

10 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

Who is Chris Lord-Alge and why is he credited for La Isla Bonita on the Immaculate Collection?

Also, why are so many tracks labeled "edit" or "remix" and others aren't? Weren't they all new edits and remixes anyway?

@Prayerto your knowledge, is it possible to replace the cover of an album on Spotify without taking it down and reuploading? The cover of The Immaculate Collection is looking GRAINY

Pretty sure it's possible.A rapper did it with most of her albums 

52 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

Chris Lord-Alge is a music engineer and producer who worked with EVERYONE in the 80's. I think he's mixed 78,1132,463 albums. 

9 hours ago, JustinTimes said:

There's the remix video on The Immaculate Collection DVD (5:04) 

That's different to The Immaculate Collection VHS/Laserdisc 

Right, but I thought there were only two versions of the video:

• ~4 minute version (audio is Gold Disc edit a.k.a. video version) on The Immaculate Collection VHS, The Immaculate Collection LD, Celebration DVD and YouTube
  • ~5 minute version (audio is edit of New Mix) on the Madonna VHS, Madonna LD, Madonna betamax and The Immaculate Collection DVD

Is there a third version of the video?

7 hours ago, clkelley39 said:

Right, but I thought there were only two versions of the video:

• ~4 minute version (audio is Gold Disc edit a.k.a. video version) on The Immaculate Collection VHS, The Immaculate Collection LD, Celebration DVD and YouTube
  • ~5 minute version (audio is edit of New Mix) on the Madonna VHS, Madonna LD, Madonna betamax and The Immaculate Collection DVD

Is there a third version of the video?

No, as I explained before.

From It's That Girl Cassette and on streaming services, does not have a noise/stab type thing on keyboard at around 16-21 second mark, which can be found on The Immaculate Collection VHS and The Immaculate Collection Laserdisc.

On Compilation Various Album GoldDisc™ 131. Noise/stab type thing at 16 second mark, which can be found on the Celebration DVD and on YouTube.

Remix Video

On The Immaculate Collection DVD and it's on the 1984 VHS (5:04)

The Celebration DVD and YouTube are different to The Immaculate Collection VHS and The Immaculate Collection Laserdisc, I know this because I have them and played them.

25 minutes ago, JustinTimes said:

No, as I explained before.

From It's That Girl Cassette and on streaming services, does not have a noise/stab type thing on keyboard at around 16-21 second mark, which can be found on The Immaculate Collection VHS and The Immaculate Collection Laserdisc.

It's really confusing so many versions....

2 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

The version on "It's that girl" cassette is not the real 7'' Edit. It's exclusive to the cassette and you can't find it in any other format.

Not true, someone on here said it was on Spotify as the real 7" Edit.  Regardless, they are still different versions as one has the keyboard stab and one doesn't. I have them and I've compared them.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW