Single Reissues Campaign - Cherish- OUT NOW

New_Boy

8 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Billie Jean is full of video-generated special effects. It cannot receive a proper HD remaster. The only option available is an ugly AI upscale.

But isn't Thriller full of "video-generated special effects" too?  It's been upgraded to 4K.  Also, how is it different from films that have a lot of "video generated special effects" and they have been updated to 4K? 

19 minutes ago, Adonna said:

But isn't Thriller full of "video-generated special effects" too?  It's been upgraded to 4K.

No, there isn't a single effect in 'Thriller' made with video. They're all traditional, classic film effects.

Also, how is it different from films that have a lot of "video generated special effects" and they have been updated to 4K? 

Because they obviously transferred those video effects to the final film. In fact, there are examples like 'The X-Files,' remastered in HD, where the effects made on video remain in SD in the final HD image.

20 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

No, there isn't a single effect in 'Thriller' made with video. They're all traditional, classic film effects.

Because they obviously transferred those video effects to the final film. In fact, there are examples like 'The X-Files,' remastered in HD, where the effects made on video remain in SD in the final HD image.

Thank you for explaining!  I appreciate it.  I suspect in the future there will be a way to upgrade those type of films.  :)

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

You are mixing up concepts. It could be shown in some theaters and also preserved in some art museums, but that doesn't mean a film reel exists. It could be perfectly preserved on video (just like 'The Golden Girls' or 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air'). Just because something is recorded (or edited) on video doesn't mean it can't be shown in theaters.

I know, I saw them myself in the theater when they premiered 'Desperately Seeking Susan' in 1985. But I repeat the same, we don't know if it was a blow-up from video or if they were really taken from the original negative.

Well if the film strip was on ebay wouldn't it be more likely? I would be very curious what they have in the ny museum of modern art in regards to bedtime story. I doubt they wouldn't have a film version because tape degrades over time no?

50 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

Loving the WTG remix & dub! Feel so NYC 86/87.

Regardless of whatever flaws some eps have, this campaign has been great for (re)acquainting myself w/mixes I wasn’t close with before (or didn’t know at all).

The dub is actually so cool.

Agreed! I was 8, coming on board as a fan in 2002 after seeing the Die Another Day video. I didn't have access to any of this material. I just had The Immaculate Collection, Ray Of Light, Music and American Life initially. The whole reissue campaign is great.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Well if the film strip was on ebay wouldn't it be more likely? I would be very curious what they have in the ny museum of modern art in regards to bedtime story. I doubt they wouldn't have a film version because tape degrades over time no?

You can transfer video onto film. And I've read a long time ago in a newspaper that the two video clips were transfers made for European cinemas from the original videotapes (I don't know if the person who wrote that was telling the truth or not).

And film can degrade even faster than video if it is not stored properly. Maybe the tape is digital, so there's no noticeable degradation at all.

16 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Yes, as far as I know, most of the real 4K music videos exist because they were edited on film. Re-editing all of Madonna's videos from the original negatives must be a titanic job, but it would be worth doing for just a few of Madonna's iconic videos: Burning Up, Material Girl, Live To Tell, Open Your Heart, Like A Prayer, Express Yourself, Vogue, etc, etc, etc. From 2003 onwards, I believe Madonna's videos were at least filmed in 720p.

It would be worth doing from our perspective , but from theirs probably not. If MJ’s estate is not doing that than I can’t imagine anyone will be. It’s a real shame.

10 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I know you would know this but to elaborate for those who don’t know. Films are more easily transferred to 4K because they were filmed and edited on film for cinema release. Music videos were in most cases shot on film but edited on video. It was not necessary to be edited on film as there was no intention to play them in theatres and so they went with the cheaper/easier option.

It would be interesting for someone to ask Mary Lambert or other directors if any of her videos were edited on film though. I know Mary has commented about this stuff in the past.

15 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Finally Who's That Girl! I know most of you are shaking of happiness and excitement right now, some because they just like the song and some because this implies we are getting the WTG singles later! This is also confirmed with the copyright entries!

Also exciting because all 12" mixes between 82-91 are available except Dress You Up and Causing A Commotion, which are coming.

Just the album version of Crazy For You isn't available.

3 hours ago, steady75 said:

I think the UK mixes are awful. Mom was right on that one. Rusty must have been off his nut when he did those.

Agree. Never liked them either. I wonder how she felt then having an overseas part of the label doing local remixes without her direct input. Surely it felt weird for her.

This is a quote around the "You Can Dance" era:

“I don’t know that I like it, people screwing with my records, remixing them. The jury is out on it for me. But the fans like it, and really, this one was for the fans, for the kids in the clubs who like these songs and wanted to hear them in a new, fresh way.”

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Cherish- OUT NOW