Ten reasons I loved (and love and defend) the MDNA era, 10 years later, despite the criticism.

Drownedboy

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drownedboy

1)Loved the Tour, the only time I have seen her, in Barcelona and she was flawless and the show amazing and was a total success for her. 2)The Superbowl perfomance: awesome, iconic, loved by everybody and a total success. 3)The cover of the album: one of her most beautiful ever. 4)The album itself:oks, I could do without Birthday song or I fucked it up, and I never quite liked the first single, even though it was fun and a success, but at the end MDNA mixed all the Madonnas (the f

Roland Barthes

It's still a shit album and its masters should be sent into the sun to burn in it forever. I've never hated a madonna song ever before girl gone Wild and i still do. The whole era was her trying to compete with Gaga meaning she lowered herself to her awful asthetics and putrid dance music from a worst of the 90's compilation. It's badly written, badly recorded, badly produced, badly mixed and badly mastered. The cover is beautiful though. So is the whole photoshoot. The tour is messy, it's like

Prayer

Great dance-pop album and probably her last album with the whole pop world watching and paying attention. Amazing tour. Terrible promotion. The lack of a proper marketing team from the label behind her was noticeable here. This album with Warner would have been managed differently. The whole concept of the "DNA of M" was too cool to not use it. It's funny how some fans complained that she didn't do pop/dance with "Hard Candy" but later complained too when she was back to it on "MDNA". She r

Posted Images

Someone in this forum made a Non-stop edition with all of the songs segueing each other and makes the album 100 % more enjoyable . I still skipping Superstar after a bit and B-day song. I tried, several times.

For me was an album that I really enjoyed when it came out, because it felt joyful, fun and with her being in charge. But it always feel a tad soulless. She sounds like karaoke Madonna, reading lyrics along the music. Even when some of the lyrics are deep I think is too robotic to grasps the emotion behind it.

In the same way Confessions sounds like a tormented Madonna with disco fever, in this case the dance beats instead of delivering her emotions kinda mute them under one tone.

2 hours ago, Andreo said:

Metacritic really isn't an accurate source tho. I find it one of the most unreliable things on Earth honestly lol

How exactly is it inaccurate, could you explain? It's certainly more reliable than a single personal opinion of an individual on a Madonna forum and gives a good indication of how a product (album, movie, TV show) was received (well, at least in the English speaking world) :).

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

It actually received some good reviews that really got the "all over the place post divorce" mood of the album. I agree that the album is very personal in some parts and anyone that has gone through a divorce or a nasty breakup knows that all those moods are part of the aftermath: feeling free, adventurous and silly, but also deeply hurt and resentful at the same time.

I love this one from "Rolling Stone" and think it's pretty much on point:

madonna-mdna-rolling-stone-review-music-1517035769.jpg

The singles were not that personal (we can discuss about "Girl Gone Wild", though) but most of the album was.

Oh I agree with you and the album actually got better reviews than we, fans, seem to remember, but claiming it received "rave" notes is a bit of a stretch :).

Has anyone ever listened to the original tracklist when it was first revealed on iTunes?

I think it flows so much better. Some Girls always sounded out of place between GMAYL and SuperNo. It works so much better coming after I’m Addicted. And while I don’t like Bday Song, it actually flows nicely after GMAYL as an actual album track. The only downside is that there’s no Love Spent. :( 

1. 'Girls Gone Wild'
2. 'Gang Bang'
3. 'I'm Addicted'
4. 'Some Girls'
5. 'I Don't Give A'
6. 'Turn Up the Radio'
7. 'Give Me All Your Luvin''
8. 'B-day Song'
9. 'Superstar'
10. 'I'm a Sinner'
11. 'Masterpiece'
12. 'Falling Free'

I think that's one of my biggest problems with the record. Prior to her Special editions it felt like there was a lot of consideration to the flow of the her albums. Like it was presented as a body of work with a story arc. That stopped at MDNA and has kind of carried on through the last two albums too somewhat. 

I also don't like the cover personally. I wish it leaned more into the Femme Fatale Tarantino look of the opening sequence of the tour and the artwork felt more like an arthouse B movie.

I also think my other main irk with the album was that the singles say absolutely nothing about her state of mind at the time. 

I always thought Masterpiece should have been a stand alone single is has no place on that record.

The same with GMAYL. A cute superbowl song like Beautiful Stranger and American Pie.

1.Love Spent / Gang Bang double A side as first single with that Tarantino double feature video

2. Girl Gone Wild ( Justin Cognito mix) 

3. I'm A Sinner

4. Falling Free

That's a post divorce story arc.

Some Girls and I'm Addicted mixes sent to clubs a la Nobody Knows Me / Easy Ride / Let It Will Be / I Love New York

Shove the pre era single Masterpiece & GMAYL on the deluxe edition

1. I'm Addicted
  2. Gang Bang
  3. Girl Gone Wild
  4. Some Girls
  5. I Don't Give A
  6. I'm A Sinner
  7. Love Spent
  8. Turn Up The Radio
  9. I Fucked Up
  10. Best Friend
  11. Falling Free

Deluxe Tracks

1. Masterpiece
  2. Give Me All Your Luvin
  3. Superstar
  4. Bday Song
  5. Beautiful Killer ( great but it really doesn't suit the album)
  6. Superbowl Medley

One last thing, probably very controversial: I like Superstar in all its glory full of corniness. It´s the same Madonna of True Blue, Dear Jessie, Spanish lesson and many more, and I prefer it a thousan times better than all this artists are here to disturb the peace stuff she is so so doing lately.

12 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I wonder how many other songs she recorded from MDNA?

It's one of the only eras we literally have no other info on regarding unused songs and sadly one of those which would probably benefit from some track list switches the most. 

Not much apart from what was released, I guess. Remember she was super busy with the movie and studio time for the album was very limited (as we know), even "Best Friend" was a last minute addition to the tracklist. This and the fact that we got a Deluxe Edition with bonus tracks, for the first time, make me think that pretty much everything recorded and finished for the project is there.

6 minutes ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

Who the fuck is Justin cognito? Did we ever find out. I wanna know

I always thought it was simply the two Benassi "just incognito" :lol: Just like Stuart Price used different names for his remixes on the "Confessions" era.

The remix is one of the best things from the "MDNA" era. It could have been the album version! Remember this montage video? :hearteyes:

I was hoping in retrospective we could all agree this will be Madonna’s worst album ever. She didn’t write like any of the tracks. It sounds like she quickly came in and out down her vocals. Masterpiece is truly the only song worth saving on this album. Yes it’s a fun record but 80% of the songs are intolerable to listen to :hearno:

39 minutes ago, Shoful said:

Please point me to this remix

When will we stop thinking it’s cool to shade her best and most creative era in 15+ years 

At 3:20

I have TRIED Shoful! I promise! I really enjoy a lot of the remixes (official and unnoficial) and the Vogue spy number is everything. But I just can't. I loved American Life when it came out and bought her children's books! That has yo count for something!?