Rebel Heart tracks originally intended for soundtracks?

cosmic_system

So I was waching the latest live episode of MLVC-The Madonna Podcast where they say that the reason that there were so many tracks recored for Rebel Heart was because Madonna was trying to get some songs on some soundtracks. The "sex songs" were intended for the 50 Shades Of Grey soundtrack and others like Messiah for The Giver soundtrack. Since the songs were rejected she decided to release them on her own album. 

Now, I have a pretty good memory for rumours but it's the first time I hear this particular rumour. The latest soundtrack rumour I remember was about one of the Twilight soundtracks, since Guy Oseary one of the producer of the films (and I belive of the soundtracks too).

Discuss!

12 minutes ago, androiduser said:

I really miss Madonna doing songs for movies, she always had great songs on movie soundtracks and it was a great way to release music in between albums. I can't even think of another artist who had so many hits from soundtracks?

I think both her and Céline had successful soundtrack releases, but Céline really conquered the scene in the 90s having 3 major hits, Beauty and The Beast, Because You Loved Me and My Heart Will Go On. She was "the" soundtrack girl back then.

11 minutes ago, roberMDNA said:

i thought the reason for that many songs was it was 2 albums? Rebel CD1 and Heart CD2 (i cant remember if they were supposed to be released at the same time or with months in between)

Well that’s what she said after the release, and it’s possible it was the original idea anyway but that doesn’t mean the soundtrack rumour isn’t true. 
She said her idea was to have a Rebel side and an Heart side, basically what Beyoncé did with I Am Sasha Fierce. But Interscope rejected the idea. 

3 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

Well that’s what she said after the release, and it’s possible it was the original idea anyway but that doesn’t mean the soundtrack rumour isn’t true. 
She said her idea was to have a Rebel side and an Heart side, basically what Beyoncé did with I Am Sasha Fierce. But Interscope rejected the idea. 

interscope also rejected the original ARTPOP concept to have an experimental side and a more radio friendly side like this rebel / heart concept

smh

12 minutes ago, missberic said:

I think both her and Céline had successful soundtrack releases, but Céline really conquered the scene in the 90s having 3 major hits, Beauty and The Beast, Because You Loved Me and My Heart Will Go On. She was "the" soundtrack girl back then.

Well This Used To Be My Playground, I’ll Remember and Beautiful Stranger were hits in the 90s, and this without putting Evita in the picture. If you think how many soundtracks hit songs she had since the 80s till Die Another Day her track record is still unmatched . Not to put down Celine of course, but Whitney basically only did soundtracks in the 90s and even her first studio album since 1991 had a soundtrack song in it (When You Believe). But both Celine and Whitney soundtracks eras is the 90s, Madonna started in 1985 with Crazy For You and in the 2000s both American Pie and Die Another Day were hits. And this with a studio album every 2 years. 

9 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

I think we are running into fan fiction here.  Not to say, there might be some truth to her wanting to get a song on a soundtrack, but I believe she recorded so many songs, because she wasn't clear on a direction yet.  Once she realize that some of her songs could be the "heart" of the album and others could be the "rebel", is when she decided she wanted to do a double album as she explained in some interviews. 

Just remember, those people in podcasts, while they may be a wealth of info for some, they still are discussing hearsay and their opinions.  Anything they state, that isn't backed up with an official and reliable source, should always be taken with a grain of salt.  :)

That all being said; I do recall hearing a rumor back in the day Messiah was being considered for "The Giver" soundtrack, but that may have been more wishful thinking/rumor. 

9 minutes ago, tscott said:

I think we are running into fan fiction here.  Not to say, there might be some truth to her wanting to get a song on a soundtrack, but I believe she recorded so many songs, because she wasn't clear on a direction yet.  Once she realize that some of her songs could be the "heart" of the album and others could be the "rebel", is when she decided she wanted to do a double album as she explained in some interviews. 

Just remember, those people in podcasts, while they may be a wealth of info for some, they still are discussing hearsay and their opinions.  Anything they state, that isn't backed up with an official and reliable source, should always be taken with a grain of salt.  :)

While I agree with you, I think it the first time she did some many songs. That probably was because of the Camp thing. But as they said here, the Giver soundtrack was a rumour back then so who knows. 
The Hunger Games, Twilight and 50 Shades soundtracks did really well and it was the first time in years artists were interested in soundtracks so I can see the appeal for Madonna. I mean I find “S.E.X.” a pretty stupid song, but I can see the idea of making a song like that for 50 Shades. 
And I’m discussing this as a “rumour” as I said in the original post, not as a fact 😃

23 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

While I agree with you, I think it the first time she did some many songs. That probably was because of the Camp thing. But as they said here, the Giver soundtrack was a rumour back then so who knows. 
The Hunger Games, Twilight and 50 Shades soundtracks did really well and it was the first time in years artists were interested in soundtracks so I can see the appeal for Madonna. I mean I find “S.E.X.” a pretty stupid song, but I can see the idea of making a song like that for 50 Shades. 
And I’m discussing this as a “rumour” as I said in the original post, not as a fact 😃

First off, I know you are just discussing what you came across and aren't presenting it as fact.  :)  And you're right, it's probably the first album she recorded with so many songs (at least that we know of).  But let's remember, as time went on, we discovered a lot more songs were recorded for ROL as well as American Life sessions.  Also, she recorded numerous songs during the Bedtime Stories conception, before scrapping it and going the R&B route. 

She has been pretty vocal about her disdain in the making of Rebel Heart album. She hated the whole "writing camp" thing and was so frustrated that she was working with so many people, and not necessarily in the same room with them.  I do feel her manager, Guy had a lot to do with this.  Meanwhile, she didn't have a clear direction for a new album, so she went along with it. I'm sure she also wanted to work with a lot of these people as well, but didn't realize their work ethic and how easily they were able to produce music without being in the same room as she prefers.

Actually, I prefer that these songs ended up on Rebel Heart album rather than any soundtrack. I always keep forgetting about her soundtrack tracks, even if I love 'em all. 

If they weren't released (some of them) on Something to Remember compilation, I wouldn't be returning to them at all. Simply because I would just forget they exist since she is even omitting them on her landmark compilations (IC, GHV2, Celebration). 

So I prefer the decision it is all included on RB and idea of soundtrack tracks was not successful. I love RB album much more than when it was released. 

45 minutes ago, maddy1111 said:

Actually, I prefer that these songs ended up on Rebel Heart album rather than any soundtrack. I always keep forgetting about her soundtrack tracks, even if I love 'em all. 

If they weren't released (some of them) on Something to Remember compilation, I wouldn't be returning to them at all. Simply because I would just forget they exist since she is even omitting them on her landmark compilations (IC, GHV2, Celebration). 

So I prefer the decision it is all included on RB and idea of soundtrack tracks was not successful. I love RB album much more than when it was released. 

Pretty sure some songs were omitted from her compilations because of Something To Remember. Even if it’s a compilation is a particular one, with new songs and songs that never were released on a studio album. And it’s a concept compilation, so Warner still wants to sell it even if it’s an old one. 

41 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

Pretty sure some songs were omitted from her compilations because of Something To Remember. Even if it’s a compilation is a particular one, with new songs and songs that never were released on a studio album. And it’s a concept compilation, so Warner still wants to sell it even if it’s an old one. 

Agree, I've always seen Something to Remember rather as a mix of new album (new songs + never released ones on any studio album) and compilation. 

If she would have removed few previous hits (Rain, Oh Father...) from that compliation and added unreleased tracks from Bedtime Stories era, it could have easily been a completely new album. 

But that was not an intention at that time, intention was to 'softer' her image before Evita. And I love that STR album / compilation as it is, it is a strange mix but very unique one and it works perfectly. 

2 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

I mean I find “S.E.X.” a pretty stupid song, but I can see the idea of making a song like that for 50 Shades. 

It has never crossed my mind that some RH songs might have been recorded for any soundtrack, but since you bring it up, and thinking about it.. It makes perfect sense to me that song such as S.E.X might have been originally intended for 50 Shades.

I always found it weirdly unfitting a whole Rebel or Heart concept. It is a completely random song about sex somewhere at the end of an album that neither musically nor conceptually fits the album. At least, I have always had that feeling and I really love RB album. 

9 minutes ago, maddy1111 said:

It has never crossed my mind that some RH songs might have been recorded for any soundtrack, but since you bring it up, and thinking about it.. It makes perfect sense to me that song such as S.E.X might have been originally intended for 50 Shades.

I always found it weirdly unfitting a whole Rebel or Heart concept. It is a completely random song about sex somewhere at the end of an album that neither musically nor conceptually fits the album. At least, I have always had that feeling and I really love RB album. 

Holy Water and Body Shop like to say "hello"!  Also, one can easily interpret Wash All Over Me and Inside Out songs about sex as well.  If anything, Holy Water is blatantly about sex as S.E.X. is on that album. :)

1 hour ago, Robertthenurse said:

Rebel Heart is actually one of my fav M records. Had the horrid demos not been released I feel it would have done a lot better. Loved her live performance of Joan of Arc on Eileen. One of her best vocal performances. Love the RH era.

Horrid? The demos were eons better than most of the finalized versions. Even that Joan of Arc performance you love so much was the demo version. :rip: