Dangerous Game Appreciation - Will we ever get the Director (or Madge's) Cut

Garry Howieson

Having watched Swept Away last night (too much red wine :thinker:) , but I want to talk about Dangerous Game. Its the one film where you are looking at an actress and not "madonna". The biggest problem was most of the movies she was in after DSS, was you were looking at the persona and the famous icon of her. Madonna on the screen, not a character. But in this film, she showed her acting chops. I'm just gutted that she dissed it.

Given Maverick produced it, will the true story ever see the light of day.??. They cut the best stuff (according to M) and a better ending? 

I'd love to see the outtakes......just sayin.

CeUaPdUWAAAJdVF.jpg

dangerous-game-lg.jpg

madonna-dangerous-game-1.jpg

The problem is; other than the film they were making in the film (where she features probably her best acting ever), the film is one huge bore.  I can't see how a "cut" in her perspective would make it anymore interesting?

I do agree there are times in the film you get lost in her character, and it's one of a few times "the Madonna persona" is not on your mind. 

32 minutes ago, scallywally said:

She's so amazing in it and she was right to be pissed off with the director and cut but I doubt well see a different version. It didnt make any money for any interest. What we got was the directors cut really and that was done awfully. Such a shame for M I really felt for her over this.   

movies are directed by directors, not actresses, and what the director says goes. Nobody has any "right" to be pissed off. Especially since he directed her best dramatic performance.

21 minutes ago, androiduser said:

movies are directed by directors, not actresses, and what the director says goes. Nobody has any "right" to be pissed off. Especially since he directed her best dramatic performance.

He offered her the role, brilliantly directed her, she gave the best monologue in her entire movie career and she was pissed? I like today's acknowledging and grateful Madonna better.

9 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

He offered her the role, brilliantly directed her, she gave the best monologue in her entire movie career and she was pissed? I like today's acknowledging and grateful Madonna better.

I can't imagine what was left on the editing floor that she preferred over the directors choices that could make the film anymore likeable or anymore interesting.  That being said, she obviously had an artistic vision in how it was to turn out, and unfortunately what was released, wasn't well received. So it's easy for her to be "pissed", thinking there were scenes and possibly a better edit of the film that would have made it more successful (at least in her eyes).  I can understand that especially when she and we know, it's one of her best acting performances.  Imagine, finally proving to the world what you are capable of as an actress, only in a film no one saw or cares about.

18 minutes ago, Mden said:

Hours of filming where she played a major role was canned/ cut. The movie makers were an unconventional bunch. 
@14 min

They sound very bitter and nasty especially Ken.  I understand Madonna wasn't too kind to Abel after the fact, but it sounds like they cut so much of what potentially could have made the film better. No wonder why she was pissed.

It’s a Ferrara film. His movies are not “let’s make some popcorns and enjoy a film”. I’m pretty sure if it was for Madonna she would’ve cut the best parts where she was actually acting (didn’t Ferrara put in it stuff from the rehearsals when she didn’t knows cameras were rolling?) and release the film with her usual  “I’m acting” performance where you can clearly see she can’t relax and be natural. 

46 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

It’s a Ferrara film. His movies are not “let’s make some popcorns and enjoy a film”. I’m pretty sure if it was for Madonna she would’ve cut the best parts where she was actually acting (didn’t Ferrara put in it stuff from the rehearsals when she didn’t knows cameras were rolling?) and release the film with her usual  “I’m acting” performance where you can clearly see she can’t relax and be natural. 

it's literally that scene from "The Comeback" where Valerie Cherish gives a brilliant dramatic performance and she's watching the footage appalled, saying they can't use any of it because the lighting is not flattering :laughing:

26 minutes ago, Enrico said:

If I remember well, in the alternate ending Sarah (and maybe Frank too) wins an Oscar for the movie they shot, "Mother of mirrors". But their personal lives are by now destroyed after the shooting and the "dangerous game" played with the director.

Am I the only one who was more interested in the movie they were making then the film itself? "Mother of Mirrors" seemed so much more interesting.

The "They cut my best scenes" is what she always say when the film goes wrong... I think she said something similar about "Shadows and fogs" and Woody Allen. That she had more good scenes but Allen dicided to cut them off... Anyway, after watching what she thinks is a good edition (you only have to look at her last tours DVDs) I guess better what we have than what she could give us. 

About the movie... I think she's great on it but I find it real boring (and I think "Shanghai surprise" is a very nice movie, so you can see I'm don't need a masterpiece to have a good time watching it). As McDonna said, I was more interested in "Mother of mirrors" than in  "Dangerous game".

I remember in Spanish magazines talking about the movie, they said that the problem was that Madonna was always interested in looking great on her movies more than in acting. She wanted to be the Icon she was and this time the director was like "Madonna who? You are going to act like I want you to act" and that's why the had problems... But at least she's got what (for me) is the best acting of her carreer in movies.

Lordy, sometimes im scared to even type on here in case of backlash. My first fave film of Abels was Driller killer (OK I was too young to watch it but my brother used to bring in a pile from the video store) I got to love his films for capturing people in the wrong moments and on film. (Weird kid, im sorry). But most are shit, I still found them some sort of interesting. 

Ive got a couple of gripes of the vid which kindly @McDonnaposted above (love you @McDonna)

1) They are both coked off their heads

2) She hated Harvey ect for eating meat errmmm.. She's never done that. I know she jokes about people eating meat, smoking, drugs and watching tv. We know she's had it all on and off. She knew him before and worked a couple of times with him after. 

3) If there's 4 hours of the movie that's their script. That's what she signed for she was upset with how the story was edited and portrayed. That could happen with any movie but she has the right to reply. 

4)The movie wouldve made made without her name at MGM People avoid Abel with a bargepole. 

5)If they think BOE was a joke why hire her? He says it was the first time he got a big pay check.

6) Madonna knew Harvey YEARS before there's a pic from 95/96 oh her with him and Sean hanging out. 

7) Maybe the funniest... Jane Campion replaced for Harvey's wifes part or his is a director. She isnt an actress.

They kind of admit they totally cocked it up and M was great but she shouldntve slagged off the film. Hasnt everybody? THEY MADE IT!

PS Still love her performance shes amazing and she steels the god awful movie to make it watchable. 

madonnaharvey.jpg

20 hours ago, androiduser said:

Probably why when Madonna calls she asks 'do you want to collaborate with me' not 'work for me' 

26 minutes ago, scallywally said:

Lordy, sometimes im scared to even type on here in case of backlash. My first fave film of Abels was Driller killer (OK I was too young to watch it but my brother used to bring in a pile from the video store) I got to love his films for capturing people in the wrong moments and on film. (Weird kid, im sorry). But most are shit, I still found them some sort of interesting. 

Ive got a couple of gripes of the vid which kindly @McDonnaposted above (love you @McDonna)

2) She hated Harvey ect for eating meat errmmm.. She's never done that. I know she jokes about people eating meat, smoking, drugs and watching tv. We know she's had it all on and off. She knew him before and worked a couple of times with him after. 

3) If there's 4 hours of the movie that's their script. That's what she signed for she was upset with how the story was edited and portrayed. That could happen with any movie but she has the right to reply. 

4)The movie wouldve made made without her name at MGM People avoid Abel with a bargepole. 

5)If they think BOE was a joke why hire her? He says it was the first time he got a big pay check.

6) Madonna knew Harvey YEARS before there's a pic from 95/96 oh her with him and Sean hanging out. 

7) Maybe the funniest... Jane Campion replaced for Harvey's wifes part or his is a director. She isnt an actress.

They kind of admit they totally cocked it up and M was great but she shouldntve slagged off the film. Hasnt everybody? THEY MADE IT!

PS Still love her performance shes amazing and she steels the god awful movie to make it watchable. 

madonnaharvey.jpg

Yeah, I don't believe for a second Madonna was playing "diva' on the set here.  I think she found a script she connected with and felt like she gave one of her best performances in her life on this film and simply was upset with how it was edited.  There may have been friction with the director during the filming, but from what I can see, the director seems to be apprehensive (in the above video, talking about the movie) in saying anything nasty about her, but the cinematographer, Ken seems to be egging on the bitterness.  Still, Abel is just pissed because Madonna trashed the film, right out of the can.

Obviously, most people agree the film is awful, so Madonna's complaint shouldn't be dismissed.  After all, her performance in the film wasn't criticized as the downfall of the film. She obviously felt there were better scenes that made the film more bearable.  Whether that is true or not, will remain unknown to us,  unless they re-release the film with cut scenes.

Also, this film was Madonna's first Maverick produced film. So I am sure she was hoping the first film would be better. 

41 minutes ago, scallywally said:

madonnaharvey.jpg

I enjoyed Bad Lieutenant that came out around the same time.  Keitel as the main lead in the film and Abel the director.

I do have a strange sense of humor....  that's still one of the funniest scenes I ever watched when Harvey's character blows away the car radio and starts swearing up a storm while boozed and cooked out of his mind :) 

1 hour ago, Blue Skies said:

I enjoyed Bad Lieutenant that came out around the same time.  Keitel as the main lead in the film and Abel the director.

I do have a strange sense of humor....  that's still one of the funniest scenes I ever watched when Harvey's character blows away the car radio and starts swearing up a storm while boozed and cooked out of his mind :) 

Thats so my humour. :laughing::heart:

1 hour ago, scallywally said:

Thats so my humour. :laughing::heart:

Yeah I thought the whole movie was pretty funny.  The Lieutenant trying to teach his kids how to mouth off to Aunt Wendy, him snorting cocaine off his kid's First Communion picture while Aunt Wendy watches, and his big animal like grunt at the end of that rant where he destroyed the radio.  :laughing:    The phrase hot mess wasn't around in 1992 I dont think :laughing:

So it's kind of odd I've never actually watched Dangerous Game.  I think because I've heard Abel not exactly talk kindly of Madonna in the past and yeah every interview I've seen of him he looks like he is high on drugs.  Lol 

9 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

I’m rewatching Dick Tracy, and it’s even more boring than Dangerous Game 😂

DT is way more boring :laughing:. It was i I get that and wasnt awful and a hit. Dangerous game was for an art house adult crowd a mess a flop and pretty much awful but way more interesting than DT. M isnt being M (although shes supposed to be like M). She Acted her ass off. 

Guy tried to repeat that shit with swept away (mixing both). Neither were hits but at least we see M act in Dangerous Game. Swept away was maybe a bit of a better movie (OK both arent great) but Guy just made her look like shit and didnt know how to direct her. She did try in it but not like Dangerous Game. Feel sorry for that little movie.

The diector said they started in the middle and knew it was a disaster and was told from Madges people saying it was gonna be cancelled but they didnt stop because she had the number 1 book and album. I dont think the director or crew could be bothered with it, get their cq and forget about it. M certainly didnt promote it. She was putting people off. Total car crash. Which is a shame. 

The so called grudge between Harvey and M is bullshit though. People should know Abel... he's out of it and blames his flops on everyone else. Ive followed him for a long time. Youtube him on Conan O'Brian. 

PS D.T is only interesting when Breathless is on. Anyone notice? I know were fans but without M that wouldntve done well.