The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

58 minutes ago, eXtremeOccident said:

I know no one is ready for this conversation, but the MDNA Tour is her crowning achievement in live performance.

This I somewhat agree. Great Madonna™ show, overall good to great lighting, the segments and interludes are strong and well developed, Madonna was great physical shape. It's definitely and by far the best tour of the Interscope years... except for the musical direction that sucks. Take a couple of inspired moments out and the rest of the versions are as cheap-karaoke as it gets and there's no cohesion sonically throughout the show.

I saw the ahow this evening. I mostly loved it. The first half was almost flawless. I also loved the Erotica performance and how much attention was paid to the album. I felt the show started to fizzle out slightly for the second half. Not sure if this was because the songs weren’t as tight, or the performances had less of a running theme. There were also a few long breaks between songs which i assume gave her more time to change and rest backstage.

Looking back, I’m surprised she missed Express Yourself and Frozen from the setlist. These would have been a welcome addiction if two other songs were removed. I did love however that she recognised certain songs were overdue to be added to a tour - Rain, Bad Girl, Justify My Love.

i adored the final performance with the repitore of Madonna costumes. They could perhaps have tweaked the ending so it felt less sudden. 

MDNA she was in peak physical condition and she was also 11 years younger.  It also had a much larger budget - with it grossing $305million across 88 shows. 

She's now 65, had a hip replaced, knee is clearly still an issue and almost died 4 months ago - I don't think she could be, or that anyone should expect her concert to be on that level with her summersaulting across the stage or dancing like she's in an aerobics class at the end.

I agree with the comment above, the first half seems really cohesive, while the second half kinda unravels a little- it's still fun, just a little random.  It is also a shame that Rain was not done in 'full' or with backing singers - would have been a true magical moment.

2 hours ago, Pedro Beltran said:

The set she uses for BS is so impressive, HU in that stage could have been a better follow up than where’s right now

No, no, no.  Despite the four year gap…. Bedtime Story paved the way for Ray of Light as far as sound, etc.  It is genius to go straight from the one into the next.  But yeah.  That set is genius.  I am so excited that she is singing BS live at long last…

1 hour ago, Angelo said:

Guys I need help

in BIM during the drop, the male voice..who’s singing?? It’s a sample from another song or not??

and during the Up Down Suite intro there’s another sample with a male singing voice. 
name of the song?? 😁

Isn’t the guy from the ballroom scene? Or not?

Don't remember his name 

12 minutes ago, Markdonna said:

No, no, no.  Despite the four year gap…. Bedtime Story paved the way for Ray of Light as far as sound, etc.  It is genius to go straight from the one into the next.  But yeah.  That set is genius.  I am so excited that she is singing BS live at long last…

Agreed the thing is they could have used that stage a little more 

From the videos I watched, my favorites parts:

- Live to tell (the transition from Holiday to In this Life and then Live to tell  it’s so emotional and mind blowing) 

- Bad Girl (she looks so sexy, her vocals, omg)

-Papa Don’t preach snippet (the little dance)

- Die another Day (Visually stunning, the hands choreo wow)

- Bedtime Story ( the visual + her energy + the outfit

- Ray of Light (her energy and how she flies across the sky, hehe)

- Like a Virgin/Billie Jean ( it’s a really nice tribute to MJ and her younger self. Speaks volumes of her)

The parts I didn’t like that much:

- Burning Up, again on the guitar for 4 minutes. Boring. Get over it. 

- Didn’t understand yet the meaning of Crazy for you after Human Nature ends so abruptly but I will get there soon

- Mother & father, I love the song but not for this tour, I rather Promise to try or Inside of me. 
- La isla bonita acoustic version once again. So dwt tour. Flat. 
- DCFMA, where’s the Miami mix? Haha. It feels out of place.

- Celebration outro, hmmm, it feels should be Music with just a snippet of Celebration. I love both songs either way. 

Edited by Michael_Py (see edit history)

I’m looking forward to seeing the show in Detroit in January! Of course there are a handful of songs I would love to see her perform, some I won’t miss and few that I feel she has, with all due respect, run into the ground (I’m looking at you Human Nature 😜) but I have never felt that the set list has ever defined her shows. For me, it’s always been more about the experience and theatricality of the show in general. Even with strong feelings and opinions, I hope people enjoy it. I know I will. 

Seeing that video of the ending made it all seem fine to me. It’s the perfect statement to be made in conclusion of her long career thus far. BIM speaks to the culture at large…It sums up the fact that Madonna has become a legend. Many younger people don’t know her music, but they know who she is. That can be seen as the ultimate compliment, or the greatest irony. 

BIM was in fact a hit. Not on Billboard, but it became her most viewed video, and it made an impact; certainly more so than any of her other new songs since GMAYL. 

I’m not sure why anyone can’t see the narrative through the second half of the show. It just deals more in concepts than specific events, but I think the choice of songs is extremely telling. The lyrics are as important as the visuals. I think it’s extremely clever, personally. 

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic