The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

13 hours ago, True Blue 84 said:

I agree, it's better but still not good at all 

I’m sorry, but this is a vast improvement over those first performances. I’d say this is actually pretty good! I mean, to not think this is a competent vocal performance is really just contrarianism! I’m completely reassured seeing this as when I first saw her do it I was dumbfounded as it sounded like she was barely present and just going through the motions. I’ve noticed she seems more energetic in recent shows, and  I’m loving it! I was going to sell my fourth night in LA to recoup some 💰but now I’m doing all four. I’ll never get these moments again with her, and so I’m soaking up every minute!

Btw, when I saw Confessions in NY, she sounded amazing at pretty much every show (I went five times), and then I bought bootlegs from that Barney guy of the nights I attended and she sounded awful. Back then it was whatever digital camera people snuck in with the sound technology of the day; now it’s these bloody iPhones. Just like selfies, they render everything flat and ugly. 💛

23 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

I’m sorry, but this is a vast improvement over those first performances. I’d say this is actually pretty good! I mean, to not think this is a competent vocal performance is really just contrarianism! I’m completely reassured seeing this as when I first saw her do it I was dumbfounded as it sounded like she was barely present and just going through the motions. I’ve noticed she seems more energetic in recent shows, and  I’m loving it! I was going to sell my fourth night in LA to recoup some 💰but now I’m doing all four. I’ll never get these moments again with her, and so I’m soaking up every minute!

They’ve extended the intro too. Perhaps she needed more time to catch her breath and recover from being up in the air like that? I have always felt she looks a bit overwhelmed as she comes down from that frame after Ray of Light… kind of like someone that has just stepped off a roller coaster.

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

They’ve extended the intro too. Perhaps she needed more time to catch her breath and recover from being up in the air like that? I have always felt she looks a bit overwhelmed as she comes down from that frame after Ray of Light… kind of like someone that has just stepped off a roller coaster.

You’re right. I don’t think any of us quite understands how intense that must be to be moving around the way she does suspended in the air singing what is probably the most vocally demanding song of the night, and then hitting the ground with a ballad. The longer intro definitely works better as both a musical arrangement and as a breather. I love that we are still getting these aspects of a work in progress four months into the tour! 

12 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

You’re right. I don’t think any of us quite understands how intense that must be to be moving around the way she does suspended in the air singing what is probably the most vocally demanding song of the night, and then hitting the ground with a ballad. The longer intro definitely works better as both a musical arrangement and as a breather. I love that we are still getting these aspects of a work in progress four months into the tour! 

Definitely! Selfishly I did love Rain in that spot though.

17 hours ago, True Blue 84 said:

I agree, it's better but still not good at all 

11 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

She sounds WAY better

Yeah it sounds way better. I think she has rehearsed it a lot. Sure it's still not perfect but there's a real improvement. 

20 hours ago, True Blue 84 said:

And i also don't agree on the opening night, there are videos online from that show and her live voice is perfectly heard. Different videos can make a huge difference. 

And sorry for my bad english lol..

When I was there in London, I could hear her live voice but much less than how I heard it yesterday in SF or even in Lisbon. I don't know, I'm starting to think that the position inside the arena matters, or that the arena's acoustics and the sound engineers' work have an impact. I also saw the video you posted later of Open Your Heart and I too think that at the beginning of the tour she sang a little better.

No problem for your English, I'm not a native speaker.

20 hours ago, scion said:

In general no but I love Old Town Road. I even put it on one of my fantasy setlists ages ago ... I'm just surprised she did a prediction of mine lol

Yes, but she only sang a little bit of it (off-key haha). And she still did the usual CRAP that I hope she replaces soon, because it's almost cringe that she does it at every stop hahaha.

17 hours ago, Magic Pussy said:

The first lines of TAB were shaky (like Bedtime Story) but I was pleasantly surprised seeing TAB live last night, both with her  performance and how the song fit into the set. It was my first show of the tour and while I’ve watched dozens, probably hundreds of incredible fan videos many of you have  posted  it was great to see and especially hear it live; the sound on videos isn’t comparable to what you hear live. Content wise,  I even thought the Bitch I’m Madonna / Celebration ending didn't feel as rushed in person and her final costume, a disheveled bride at the end of a celebration, made more sense. Her humor is really shining on this tour whether it’s facial expresssions, toying with the dancers, her stories. The only segment I didn’t like (on YouTube or seeing it live) was the Billie Jean/ like a Virgin interlude; it’s very a sweet 16 birthday/ barmitzvah vibe but I can see why she did it; She didn’t want to sing it but it’s expected… plus David does a good MJ impression and she needed 8 minutes to change. A lot of the crowd loved it. 

I really don't like the ending with BIM/Celebration. I find her choreography very very ugly. The only thing I like is the contribution of the dancers with all their costumes, but the performance itself is just bad. And it's a pity, because during the concert you're excited from the start and the ending instead seems to have been thought up at the last minute, not maintaining the quality of the rest of the concert.

And I absolutely hate the Billie Jean/LAV interlude, except for the snippet of Angel.

Indeed, my main issue with this tour is the ending, with the interlude and the finale. I must say that at least now she always says goodbye to the audience. In some European stops, she didn't even wave goodbye and people thought it was a pre-finale. In Milan, some even asked "is it over like this?" to the people next to them.

Actually, I'm not crazy about Rain either, almost without harmonies, with a base flatter than the original and without the bridge, which is the most beautiful part of the song and gives meaning to it. Okay, the nostalgia effect of Rain, which she only did at the Girlie Show, but Take a Bow works much better, as does Frozen.

I was very happy to hear TAB live for my first time.

Actually, when I was there, I noticed the vocal mistakes much more than in this video posted here (I could hear her voice more clearly) but it was undoubtedly the best vocal performance on this tour. And it was almost acceptable, so I was happy to hear it. It fits muuuuch better than Rain.

1 hour ago, FraP said:

When I was there in London, I could hear her live voice but much less than how I heard it yesterday in SF or even in Lisbon. I don't know, I'm starting to think that the position inside the arena matters, or that the arena's acoustics and the sound engineers' work have an impact. I also saw the video you posted later of Open Your Heart and I too think that at the beginning of the tour she sang a little 

You 100% right, the position inside the arena definitely matters... Thats why when you watch videos from the same night, same song but different position in the arena all sounds different, some more live than others. While it's the same night and same song. 

8 hours ago, madgefan said:

I an still catching up with some messages here, but all I can tell you is that Madonna was FABULOUS in San Francisco. She gave it all! The first night I was in the right pit, so I had eye contact with her at least 3 times. I blowed her a kiss during Bad Girl and even stretched my arm, but she would just continue with the song. Later on, she gave me a BIG smile just before finishing Take A Bow cause she knew I was singing at the top of my lungs :cry: She's enjoying this tour so much you can feel it in her energy. I am not totally sure about it but wasn't the right pit originally called Sound Factory? The guards gave us all the blue wrist bands that say Danceteria, so we were all confused lol 

I got last minute tickets for the second night! Floor 8, row 10, seat 5. Just a few meters from the tip of the main catwalk. I had the opportunity to see the show from another perspective. This tour is among her Top 3. It's undeniable. She's revisiting her past in a way that doesn't look cliché (hi Cher! lol) and it works!! The general public and casual fans adored it. I could hear no complains this time around. It's just us hardcore fans criticizing every single note. Last night Madonna sang CAC but didn't like how people in the left pit sounded so she turned around to our section and was satisfied. Also, she was chattier than the night before... and even told us a story about the time she visited SF as a kid and the first time she started wearing tampons lol Express Yourself is definitely the best change she's made since the beginning of the tour! And the new DWT skirt plus the black corset were present both nights.

I am leaving the States next Monday morning. Broke but extremely happy to have seen and sung and danced with the Queen once again!!!!

I've been uploading several videos from night 1 and 2 to my Instagram! I filmed night 2 almost in full.

https://www.instagram.com/misterbravou?igsh=cm8yOW1xcGp3MzNl

x

I love this review. Thank you! 

13 hours ago, Alibaba said:

Btw, when I saw Confessions in NY, she sounded amazing at pretty much every show (I went five times), and then I bought bootlegs from that Barney guy of the nights I attended and she sounded awful. Back then it was whatever digital camera people snuck in with the sound technology of the day; now it’s these bloody iPhones. Just like selfies, they render everything flat and ugly. 💛

Saying it was a competent vocal performance is too much. Let's say it was okay; live, I noticed more inaccuracies than are present in this footage. But it's definitely the best performance of TAB on this tour. Anyway, yes, judging by the videos, she seemed a bit more tired lately, but in this stop, she was more energetic, a bit like she used to be! I was very lucky.

Recorders (even bad ones) don't invent different notes. If a note is off-key, it's off-key; a note is a frequency that can be mathematically expressed. If she's flat, it's objective. It's true that live, people tend to pay less attention to inaccuracies and enjoy the moment. This applies to all artists. You only notice if they make glaring mistakes, but in general, the live experience feels different. You really have to set your mind to analyze everything if you want to pay attention to it.

4 hours ago, True Blue 84 said:

You 100% right, the position inside the arena definitely matters... Thats why when you watch videos from the same night, same song but different position in the arena all sounds different, some more live than others. While it's the same night and same song. 

Also a good phone matters. I noticed that Samsung flagship phones record better audio than iPhones (my S23U vs a friend of mine who had an iPhone 15 Pro)