The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

32 minutes ago, Magic Pussy said:

It's been over a year since the initial tour announcement but I was always under the impression the tour was Plan B, Plan A being the self- directed biopic which was put on ice. My guess is she's going to use the tour proceeds to fund and maintain creative control of her biopic like she did with "Truth or Dare" or in a less risky move, get another studio on board who'll give her the budget she wants now that she's proven people will still pay $$$ to see her. 

I doubt it, to be honest, the rock star biopic craze has totally died down, some have failed spectacularly (the Bowie biopic) and the ones coming out soon are getting negative buzz (Amy)... I don't think many studios will be interested in making a major biopic in this climate.

28 minutes ago, Magic Pussy said:

It's been over a year since the initial tour announcement but I was always under the impression the tour was Plan B, Plan A being the self- directed biopic which was put on ice. My guess is she's going to use the tour proceeds to fund and maintain creative control of her biopic like she did with "Truth or Dare" or in a less risky move, get another studio on board who'll give her the budget she wants now that she's proven people will still pay $$$ to see her. 

This is possible. It’s also possible that taking it to other parts of the world could reduce profits or even push it into the red. Increasingly you hear about how touring is becoming financially difficult for a lot of artists. Or at least reaching certain markets. Especially if you have a big, expensive show. Unless you’re pulling Taylor Swift numbers, taking a giant show to Asia or Oceania or LatAm could be economically problematic. Even Beyonce only hit up Eu and NA.

2 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

taking a giant show to Asia or Oceania or LatAm could be economically problematic.

but to be honest, Madonna's show is not that huge.... Sure, when all the catwalks are combined, the stage is larger than her previous tours, but it's nothing extraordinarily huge.

3 hours ago, MikeyK said:

Interesting. Maybe this is it. 🤷‍♂️

I suppose she still could announce additional legs after this itinerary completes. The S+S extension announcement came after the 08 leg had wrapped.

I doubt it. The S&S tour was a massively selling tour and this one is not selling as quickly or as robustly as that tour did. I don't see her label seeing it as profitable to keep her touring on this tour after this has wrapped up, I think they want her to get an album together and release something new to tour with new stuff within the next 2-3 years.

7 minutes ago, dankpepe said:

I doubt it. The S&S tour was a massively selling tour and this one is not selling as quickly or as robustly as that tour did. I don't see her label seeing it as profitable to keep her touring on this tour after this has wrapped up, I think they want her to get an album together and release something new to tour with new stuff within the next 2-3 years.

Thats not true. Only some US dates are struggling but thats bc of the rescheduling. Lets not forget that this is one of the fastest selling tours of all time! 600.000 tickets were sold within the 1st day

13 minutes ago, dankpepe said:

S&S didn't sell out straight away......plus she has no NEW recording contract.....but touring is another story 

11 minutes ago, dankpepe said:

But S & S was 15 years ago. I’ve seen multiple articles from the last year or two about post covid inflation is driving up costs and making touring increasingly difficult outside of the highest earners. If a market isn’t a guaranteed success then even funding it can be a problem. If she had occasional hold ups w/some of her usual markets then taking the show across the world to less frequent or guaranteed markets could be even less appealing to investors.

I was under the impression the commercial she shot for that Brazilian bank was to secure funding for her visit. Who knows what happened.

I’d imagine at this point her people don’t have much hope in her having major success w/new music. And especially given her somewhat difficult touring reputation in recent years you’d think they’d push her to keep up a retrospective show like this if she is going to tour.

Then again, maybe she just feels she’s done enough w/this. 

https://www.grammy.com/news/2023-post-pandemic-touring-changes-festivals-costs-personnel-backstage-behind-the-scenes

https://techbullion.com/how-inflation-and-rising-interest-rates-are-affecting-concert-tours-and-ticket-prices/

10 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

I’d imagine at this point her people don’t have much hope in her having major success w/new music. And especially given her somewhat difficult touring reputation in recent years you’d think they’d push her to keep up a retrospective show like this if she is going to tour.

Then again, maybe she just feels she’s done enough w/this. 

I think it’s the latter. Of course they’d want her to add more dates if she was willing.

But also, the collab with The Weeknd has been a huge success and yes, it is The Weeknd. But it shows that with the right collabs and songs new music could actually be a success.

Considering she almost died I suspect she will be keen to do new music after this tour.

23 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

I think it’s the latter. Of course they’d want her to add more dates if she was willing.

But also, the collab with The Weeknd has been a huge success and yes, it is The Weeknd. But it shows that with the right collabs and songs new music could actually be a success.

Considering she almost died I suspect she will be keen to do new music after this tour.

I definitely am up for it. Was just thinking from the perspective of if a new album tour could be less appealing to gp/casual fans than another round of this hits(ish) show. Though imagining her dragging it on for years like Cher or Elton… we all know she’d hate to do that.

I can’t help but wonder if this is difficult for her to do night after night. Live To Tell, M + F, talking about almost dying; it’s got to be draining.

Sticky and Sweet was post-divorce. Maybe she just wanted to stay busy at the time.

All I feel right now is gratitude that she's given us this tour. I wasn't feeling as if she needed to do a greatest hits tour. I was always content with the shows/tours after new music/albums. I hadn't seen her since Rebel Heart and this was the first time seeing her since my Mother went home to heaven. I couldn't do Madame X, I wasn't in it, and I wanted to hold onto the Rebel Heart era. The Celebration Tour, for me, is kinda like the show I didn't think I needed but thank God she did it. At MSG, the only time I got emotional was when she spoke of her illness and recovery. I was surprised I didn't cry during Live To Tell. I definitely felt the heaviness of it, but I think it's because I knew it was coming. 

J

17 minutes ago, MDNA22 said:

She could easily do what she did with S&S and do a second leg 6 months later  

I suppose so but I believe that wasn’t decided on until later. And I seem to recall it was only decided on because she happened to have time before W.E. started filming or something like that.

I think it’s far more likely this tour will end in April now that she’s made that announcement.

22 minutes ago, MDNA22 said:

She could easily do what she did with S&S and do a second leg 6 months later  

I get the "wishful thinking", but my guess she's moving on. I sorta prefer it.  I'd love to see her make a new album and possibly get back to her Biopic if possible.

4 minutes ago, McDonna said:

I get the "wishful thinking", but my guess she's moving on. I sorta prefer it.  I'd love to see her make a new album and possibly get back to her Biopic if possible.

Yeah I'm with you on this. I'm sure she's got stuff already written and recorded, I hope she will get her time for a 2025 release.

49 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

I suppose so but I believe that wasn’t decided on until later. And I seem to recall it was only decided on because she happened to have time before W.E. started filming or something like that.

I think it’s far more likely this tour will end in April now that she’s made that announcement.

I agree - and it's been such an amazing time to be a fan! I'm excited to see what she'll serve us next!

16 minutes ago, Jackie said:

I agree - and it's been such an amazing time to be a fan! I'm excited to see what she'll serve us next!

So amazing is right!  and she still has 35 shows left so I am going to enjoy this till the end. I hate to see it come to the end and I know that last show is going to be emotional for many of us.

40周年ツアーなのでいろんな地域を回ってほしいです。私が住んでいる場所に来てほしいです。🇯🇵

彼女はまだ完璧な新作を作るという発想には考えていないのだと思います:笑:

The last time I saw her was at Mitsukoshi in Ginza, when she came to promote "MDNA Skin." I went there the other day, but the store was no longer there.:cry:

• Enrico unfeatured this topic