Stuart Price Shares Sonic Secrets From Madonna’s Celebration Tour

Askeroff

7 hours ago, Anapausis said:

Now I'm curious, which inaccuracies would be these?

Claiming the “You can fu*k with me” part was never heard before, when we’ve all heard it for over 30 years in the Orbit Remix. 
The claim that all vocals on tour are live with backing singers. In the recordings we can clearly hear the live/playback/live+backing variations. And there’s no backing singers lol

2 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Claiming the “You can fu*k with me” part was never heard before, when we’ve all heard it for over 30 years in the Orbit Remix. 
The claim that all vocals on tour are live with backing singers. In the recordings we can clearly hear the live/playback/live+backing variations. And there’s no backing singers lol

He was definitely professionally coached by a PR firm. Especially his rehearsed response to making new music with Madonna.

1 hour ago, thegoldencalf said:

He never said it wasn’t heard before, just that in the original multitracks you can hear the “fuck” part before the song as a response to Lenny. 
Backing singers are present, as shared by one of them. They did a studio session so they are not present live in the show, and they were recorded by Kevin (and now we know why he was at first rehearsals). 

4 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

He never said it wasn’t heard before, just that in the original multitracks you can hear the “fuck” part before the song as a response to Lenny. 
Backing singers are present, as shared by one of them. They did a studio session so they are not present live in the show, and they were recorded by Kevin (and now we know why he was at first rehearsals). 

well not to nitpick but he does literally say that the fuck with me line is something that has never appeared before refering to what's on the original stems but was cut in the mix. For fans that line comes from a time remixes were famous for including these bits we never heard before and everyone knows it. Nonetheless it is a great throwback, one that was already present in the Girlie Show btw

5 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

I see it. Not only Orbit remix has it but MDNAT version (which was also Orbit's work using his own remix as the base to it) too. We could even believe "we can fuck with me" is the main reason behind M is credited as also a songwriter to Justify My Love.

16 minutes ago, Pretender1978 said:

well not to nitpick but he does literally say that the fuck with me line is something that has never appeared before refering to what's on the original stems but was cut in the mix. For fans that line comes from a time remixes were famous for including these bits we never heard before and everyone knows it. Nonetheless it is a great throwback, one that was already present in the Girlie Show btw

Ok my bad, but he was probably talking about the whole thing (we never heard the Kravitz bits, it’s not on the the tour anyway). 
Stuart didn’t work on Girlie Show or MDNA, and maybe he never listened to the Kustify remix. Not talking about him like he’s an idiot is a little bit too much 😂

Believe me, 90% of the fans have probably no clue about this bit. 

15 hours ago, Askeroff said:

“Billie Jean” appears in “vs” form alongside “Like a Virgin.” The “Virgin” vocal struck me as slightly different from the original.

“Like a Virgin,” the vocal from that is the original recording. There’s a few things happening in the show. There are segues or mashups of songs where you just need to make it work. So that might involve transposition or time correction or stretching or shortening or whatever it is. When you’re trying to pursue storytelling ideas through music, you should never let a technical consideration get in the way. If you do that, you’re diminishing the strength of the idea. We may change the key of the song because it’s better for Madonna to sing — the A note is to serve the arc of the show.

I love all the little references in the live versions and like expected Stuart does a great job, he really has fun and respect for M's catalogue. This is the only part I really don't get of the show, so they changed the key to accomodate Michael's key but in effect turning M's vocal into sounding like a bad karaoke singer. And as a result everyone notices how weird she sounds :lol: personally I would have ditched MJ all together but at the very least maybe alter his voice to accomodat M's instead? Oh well, it's three minutes in a fantastic show and I'm sure there's other that think the tribute is the highlight

Jees guys give Stuart a fucking break - you all moaned about Kevin Antunes ( myself included ) and she gets Stuart back who does a fantastic job with this tour and now you are over analysing an interview he gives with back story on the tour  - get a life bitches 🙄 children are being killed in Gaza for fucks sake 🥹

2 hours ago, Pretender1978 said:

I love all the little references in the live versions and like expected Stuart does a great job, he really has fun and respect for M's catalogue. This is the only part I really don't get of the show, so they changed the key to accomodate Michael's key but in effect turning M's vocal into sounding like a bad karaoke singer. And as a result everyone notices how weird she sounds :lol: personally I would have ditched MJ all together but at the very least maybe alter his voice to accomodat M's instead? Oh well, it's three minutes in a fantastic show and I'm sure there's other that think the tribute is the highlight

All the recordings I've heard so far are audience recordings, so the quality's not great. But, from what I can discern, the key changes when it switches from "Billie Jean" to "Like a Virgin". And on the album version, it's VERY clear that Madonna's vocals were pitched WAY up using some archaic 80's technique. She sounds like she's on helium and music journalists compared her to Minnie Mouse. (Just go listen to the stems we have. That's NOT what Madonna's voice really sounds like.)

So what I'm hypothesizing is that he vocal was pitched back down to how she actually sang the song, to get it closer to Michael's key.

Just a hypothesis, I'm not music expert. Just contributing to the conversation. If you disagree, don't come at me and turn this into a whole drama where you insult my mother and call in a bomb threat to my work. 

25 minutes ago, clkelley39 said:

All the recordings I've heard so far are audience recordings, so the quality's not great. But, from what I can discern, the key changes when it switches from "Billie Jean" to "Like a Virgin". And on the album version, it's VERY clear that Madonna's vocals were pitched WAY up using some archaic 80's technique. She sounds like she's on helium and music journalists compared her to Minnie Mouse. (Just go listen to the stems we have. That's NOT what Madonna's voice really sounds like.)

So what I'm hypothesizing is that he vocal was pitched back down to how she actually sang the song, to get it closer to Michael's key.

Just a hypothesis, I'm not music expert. Just contributing to the conversation. If you disagree, don't come at me and turn this into a whole drama where you insult my mother and call in a bomb threat to my work. 

My point being was that Stuart claims that certain choices are made to make the show flow, but as a result of sonic harmony they created a major earswore because it sounds so off for most people that are familiar with the original recording (which was indeed pitched a semitone higher)

Honestly I'm a bit taken aback by your last comment, I have never made any personal remark of any kind on this forum so your insinuation that I might is quite uncalled for and a bit offensive.

Well, he didn't lie about the vocals, well, sort off... 

She is singing all of the songs live yes ( minus the spoken parts) but some songs have backing tracks, some a backing track with just recorded backing vocals, but still, she sings live on all of them, you can clearly hear her. Even singing over the og Everybody vocals... ..

It's always interesting to read/hear about the technical aspects in Madonna's shows. I hope we get more interviews like this during the tour. And I too think Madonna's singing live for the most part... it's just that the backing track sounds louder than her mic sometimes :lol: But I really don't care. She really looks like she's having fun and every time she smiles genuinely is out of this world.

Just now, madgefan said:

It's always interesting to read/hear about the technical aspects in Madonna's shows. I hope we more interviews like this during the tour. And I too think Madonna's singing live for the most part... it's just that the backing track sounds louder than her mic sometimes :lol: But I really don't care. She really looks like she's having fun and every time she smiles genuinely is out of this world.

Well that depends on where the person is standing recording it. Same song you can hear the vocals much louder on some video's than on other. Tiktok is the best example, lots of different spots where they recording it 

3 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Jees guys give Stuart a fucking break - you all moaned about Kevin Antunes ( myself included ) and she gets Stuart back who does a fantastic job with this tour and now you are over analysing an interview he gives with back story on the tour  - get a life bitches 🙄 children are being killed in Gaza for fucks sake 🥹

Always the same story. 

martina-stavolo-applauso.gif

1 hour ago, True Blue 84 said:

Well, he didn't lie about the vocals, well, sort off... 

She is singing all of the songs live yes ( minus the spoken parts) but some songs have backing tracks, some a backing track with just recorded backing vocals, but still, she sings live on all of them, you can clearly hear her. Even singing over the og Everybody vocals... ..

I guess I didn't take him so literally when he meant the vocals we hear are all 100% live,  yet she's singing along with those backing tracks, (as she's always done).  It's just some songs, the backing tracks are heard more than her own vocals from what I can tell. 

As for the whole conversation about "You can Fuck with Me"; I took it that he meant the original version, there were layers that were muted and couldn't be heard.  I never felt like he was trying to say it never was heard before, but just not on that particular recording that was released.  He like many people could have thought she added that line purposely later, when he's only pointing out the discovery in how that line came about which was during the original recording. 

Anyway, I enjoyed the interview.  He pretty much stuck to the music conception of the tour and didn't dive into those triggered questions, trying to generate gossip or drama.

3 hours ago, TheGoth said:

Stuey does know how to dodge those questions 🙂

I know interviewer had to be like “oh okay well what about…” and get another ambiguous answer. Very frustrating to read. That’s not a dig at him but clearly he was coached not to give them any ammo to use against her. Which is excellent. Warner probably wants this as clean as possible. 

38 minutes ago, McDonna said:

I guess I didn't take him so literally when he meant the vocals we hear are all 100% live,  yet she's singing along with those backing tracks, (as she's always done).  It's just some songs, the backing tracks are heard more than her own vocals from what I can tell. 

As for the whole conversation about "You can Fuck with Me"; I took it that he meant the original version, there were layers that were muted and couldn't be heard.  I never felt like he was trying to say it never was heard before, but just not on that particular recording that was released.  He like many people could have thought she added that line purposely later, when he's only pointing out the discovery in how that line came about which was during the original recording. 

Anyway, I enjoyed the interview.  He pretty much stuck to the music conception of the tour and didn't dive into those triggered questions, trying to generate gossip or drama.

It's not just some songs, she is singing live on all songs, backing track or not. You realy should watch more video's because she is singing verry loud and clear most of the time 

34 minutes ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

I would love to meet Stuart Price. How does one meet him on the tour??

The section we were seated in had the sound/mixing desk behind the seats. I saw him there , went up and told him how much of a fan I was and had a chat. He was happy to have selfie too as I got one with him and I know other fans have. 

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic