Cherish

Kae-Leah Williamson

It's also one of her R-word songs...

The songs that I think are the most retarded songs I've written, like 'Cherish' and 'Sorry,' a pretty big hit off my last album, end up being the biggest hits," she tells RS. " 'Into the Groove' is another song I feel retarded singing, but everybody seems to like it."

It is a great song.

Madonna performed True Blue on RHT, which is jollier than Cherish. She teased Causing a Commotion on The Celebration tour, which she "hates."  Apparently, she rehearsed Sorry for The Celebration tour, which she also "hates." She said she couldn't imagine herself performing Like a Virgin and Material Girl anymore in the late 90s.

So, saying Madonna hates a certain song has become a silly story, because she contradicts herself at certain points.

It is ironic that she said bad things about Cherish, yet she made a lot of jolly and cringe songs during the 2010s.

6 hours ago, Justice said:

It is a great song.

Madonna performed True Blue on RHT, which is jollier than Cherish. She teased Causing a Commotion on The Celebration tour, which she "hates."  Apparently, she rehearsed Sorry for The Celebration tour, which she also "hates." She said she couldn't imagine herself performing Like a Virgin and Material Girl anymore in the late 90s.

So, saying Madonna hates a certain song has become a silly story, because she contradicts herself at certain points.

It is ironic that she said bad things about Cherish, yet she made a lot of jolly and cringe songs during the 2010s.

"Hates" is a bit hyperbolic.  She never ever stated she hated these songs.  But she's mentioned in the past, she didn't understand how they became such favorites, so some assume she hates.  She also stated she was tired of performing Like A Virgin and Holiday, but it never meant she 'hated' the songs, but she also realized she wrote a lot of prolific songs since, so like many artists, she wished people to take notice of those songs as well.  Let's be honest here, some of her most popular songs especially among the public are songs that are very simple songs.  Like A Prayer most likely changes that feeling, but still many just enjoy those songs she either didn't write or aren't very message driven.

Well, if she wrote it for Sean at the end of their super toxic relationship, i understand why she hates performing it. Sometimes we forget some songs have personal meaning to her and she does not want to be reminded of certain painful parts of her life like we all do except hers  she has turned them into songs.

She has a tendency to perform songs live on tours where she can be see as super hero, mega fighter, bigger than life, energetic above it all...or a rebel against the sistem. that´s why she never performs You´ll see, I´ll remember, Take a bow, cherish..it´s the softer side of hers, which I adore. But she seems to prefer those other sides, at least to show them on live concerts. 

To tell you the truth, I think she forgot the big success she had with those sungs when she is preparing a tour. 

38 minutes ago, Ayham said:

Not all but some songs I just can’t stand! 

I just L-U-V Turn It into Love, Got to Be Certain, It's No Secret, Nothing to Lose, I'm Over Dreaming (Over You), Enjoy Yourself, Things Can Only Get Better, The World Still Turns, even One Boy Girl and her Stephen Bray tracks... Are they your cup of tea too or...?

29 minutes ago, Markdonna said:

I can certainly see how in a two hour Celebration of over forty years in music Cherish simply failed to make the cut.  

Don't agree.  I don't oppose the current set-list, but I can see Cherish being a sweet spot in any tour, especially paying homage to Herb Ritts.  She and her have had a great history.  After all, Cherish was his first music video. I'd think that would be important for a woman who is known for being a visionary and using the video format the way she has. She is definitely a pioneer to Music videos.  He played a huge role to that especially with her visuals.

18 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

She has a tendency to perform songs live on tours where she can be see as super hero, mega fighter, bigger than life, energetic above it all...or a rebel against the sistem. that´s why she never performs You´ll see, I´ll remember, Take a bow, cherish..it´s the softer side of hers, which I adore. But she seems to prefer those other sides, at least to show them on live concerts. 

To tell you the truth, I think she forgot the big success she had with those sungs when she is preparing a tour. 

I love her songs that show a "softer", more vulnerable side. After all, no one is invincible. She's a badass, but she's human too. I know it's her tours, her choice, so if she really does not want to perform those songs, she shouldn't be forced to, but that's a good point.