Would someone explain GOODBYE TO INNOCENCE......please......

This topic has me thinking for example 

Would Fever (Edit one) be a demo of Fever (album version). Was it one of who knows how many versions before they went with the final album version we got.

Or is it considered a remix of the album version 

9 minutes ago, xavier said:

This topic has me thinking for example 

Would Fever (Edit one) be a demo of Fever (album version). Was it one of who knows how many versions before they went with the final album version we got.

Or is it considered a remix of the album version 

Daniel Abraham remixed Fever (edits 1 & 2) after the albums release :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Anapausis said:

Even the Rain Tapes versions full of sass and asskicking? ***Entschuldigung*** schöner (I was so pissed off about what you just wrote I even forgot my German), I don't buy this theory. Unless you have direct proof from her.

To my pov she wanted to release exactly the earlier version of GTI but, with so raw lyrics and instrumentation, someone at Warner said NO, NO, NO (for obvious reasons). So she had to tame both to their order - which must've infuriated her to her Leo's core.

@club78boy would you have a word to say about it? And would you mind to share it to us?

Source: https://www.sheppettibone.com/erotica-diaries

Diary Entry #9 August 15, 1992, Mo's Birthday
One of the tracks, Goodbye To Innocence, just wasn't working. There was something about the song that didn't grab Madonna, so we had to fix it. I worked overnight in my studio and came back to Soundworks with a brand new bass line that seemed to do the trick. Madonna put on headphones and got ready to lay down the vocals for Goodbye To Innocence. But instead of singing the original words, which were written last year, Madonna started toying with the lyrics, singing the words to the lounge-lizard act staple, Fever. At first we thought: "This is cool," and it was. It sounded so good that we decided to take it one step further and actually cover the tune. Too bad no one knew the words. What we needed was a copy of Fever if we were going to record it that day. So, Madonna got on the phone with Seymour Stein at Sire Records, and within an hour, we had the lyric sheets, the Peggy Lee version, and the original version of the song in our hands. I was really impressed by how quickly we got it all. That was the last track on Erotica and we finished mixing it just in time to celebrate another birthday - Madonna's.

@MaDöner Kebab I know Shep's memories from ages - but to state his words about this particular issue are fondly true, I wouldn't do it - he could have probably twisted the true story for some reasons (maybe he had an NDA to Warner and/or Madonna? Who knows?)

Anyway, obviously that the Straight Pass version (actually the Final Demo version - I mean the one which leaked back in late 2006 along with You Thrill Me/Erotica Final Demo 2) was extremely raw to the core to be properly fit on an actual studio album, but maybe this was M's purpose, but also probably Warner throught it was a bad idea - esp because of the content of lyrics (and because Erotica was virtually the kicking off of Maverick).

And after all the process M must've agreed to the extremely tamed version featured on Just Say Roe to the condition it'd have been attached to any project not directly related to her so Warner did that.

And then Up Down Suite - kind a way to say-not-to-say her feelings throughout the thorough process.

8 hours ago, Anapausis said:

@MaDöner Kebab I know Shep's memories from ages - but to state his words about this particular issue are fondly true, I wouldn't do it - he could have probably twisted the true story for some reasons (maybe he had an NDA to Warner and/or Madonna? Who knows?)

Anyway, obviously that the Straight Pass version (actually the Final Demo version - I mean the one which leaked back in late 2006 along with You Thrill Me/Erotica Final Demo 2) was extremely raw to the core to be properly fit on an actual studio album, but maybe this was M's purpose, but also probably Warner throught it was a bad idea - esp because of the content of lyrics (and because Erotica was virtually the kicking off of Maverick).

And after all the process M must've agreed to the extremely tamed version featured on Just Say Roe to the condition it'd have been attached to any project not directly related to her so Warner did that.

And then Up Down Suite - kind a way to say-not-to-say her feelings throughout the thorough process.

I don’t think there is any reason to doubt his words. Especially since those are his diary entries from back then and not something that was written up later. She clearly didn’t like/care about Goodbye To Innocence much otherwise it would have made it onto the final tracklist. 

Considering that she greenlit the release of the final version (the one that appeared on Just Say Roe) along with the two dub versions that were both directly derived from that mix, makes it all the more obvious that she was more satisfied with that version. Still, not satisfied enough to actually put it on the album instead of Did You Do It.

What I find even more interesting is that the last DEMO of Goodbye To Innocence, which is the one that had the lyrics switched to Fever, sounds more like Fever (Edit One & Two) than Fever (Album Version).

6 hours ago, MaDöner Kebab said:

Still, not satisfied enough to actually put it on the album instead of Did You Do It.

It's crazy actually. Did You Do It? is out of place on the album. I don't regret buying clean Erotica over PA version. I didn't miss on anything. 

18 hours ago, Cyberraga said:

It's crazy actually. Did You Do It? is out of place on the album. I don't regret buying clean Erotica over PA version. I didn't miss on anything. 

Well, if you've actually read Lucy O'Brien's Like an Icon, you'd understand why this song got so special to M herself...

On 6/9/2024 at 1:06 PM, Anapausis said:

Well, if you've actually read Lucy O'Brien's Like an Icon, you'd understand why this song got so special to M herself...

There’s nothing in that book that mentions how “special” it was to her. Bettes played the song by accident, as a joke, in front of M and label heads. Madonna had the last laugh by putting it on the album without him knowing till it was released. 

20 minutes ago, deathproof said:

There’s nothing in that book that mentions how “special” it was to her. Bettes played the song by accident, as a joke, in front of M and label heads. Madonna had the last laugh by putting it on the album without him knowing till it was released. 

Ok fine.

On 5/31/2024 at 9:10 PM, Dazedmadonna said:

Instrumental Demo (5:52) from ""DAT""

Straight Pass (5:55) from 'Library of Congress / Rain Tapes' Cassette

Final Edit (5:37) from 'Library of Congress / Rain Tapes' Cassette

Demo (4:57) from 14-track Demo Cassette, leaked today

Demo 08-15-1992 (4:58) from 15-track Demo Cassette

Final Version (4:52) from Just Say Roe CD

Up Down Suite (12:16) from Rain Maxi CD

I think my previous comment disappeared when the service crashed but would you be so kind as to share a similar timeline of the various Shame versions out there?

3 minutes ago, missberic said:

I think my previous comment disappeared when the service crashed but would you be so kind as to share a similar timeline of the various Shame versions out there?

Straight Pass - from the Library of Congress ‘Rain Tapes’ cassette.

Straight Pass - from the Shep Pettibone “DAT”, same version as above but better quality/mono.

Final Edit - from the Library of Congress ‘Rain Tapes’ cassette.

Demo/Final - from the 14-Track cassette tape leaked recently.

12 hours ago, Dazedmadonna said:

Straight Pass - from the Library of Congress ‘Rain Tapes’ cassette.

Straight Pass - from the Shep Pettibone “DAT”, same version as above but better quality/mono.

Final Edit - from the Library of Congress ‘Rain Tapes’ cassette.

Demo/Final - from the 14-Track cassette tape leaked recently.

Was the Just Say Roe version remixed for that compilation purposely? It doesn’t make sense to have Donna backup vocals if it was done during Erotica sessions 

1 hour ago, Bad Boy said:

Was the Just Say Roe version remixed for that compilation purposely? It doesn’t make sense to have Donna backup vocals if it was done during Erotica sessions 

We aren’t sure but imo yes, she also recorded the ‘Fever’ backing vocals for the remixes (You give me fever) at the same time so probably it happened in early 1993.

22 hours ago, Dazedmadonna said:

We aren’t sure but imo yes, she also recorded the ‘Fever’ backing vocals for the remixes (You give me fever) at the same time so probably it happened in early 1993.

Hmmm but the compilation only came out in mid 1994, a year well after Fever. Perhaps it was done in 1993 with the intention of it being earmarked as a b-side? I doubt she would have known and and decided more than a year early that it would end up on the compilation. 

On 6/14/2024 at 10:45 AM, Bad Boy said:

Hmmm but the compilation only came out in 1994, a year well after Fever. Perhaps it was done in 1993 with the intention of it being earmarked as a b-side? 

I wish it was. It would be on streaming by now.

Why Warner don't put Just Say Roe compilation on streaming I wonder? Roe is in shitty situation these days, not only in US. Still it doesn't stop them from reissue.

On 6/14/2024 at 7:01 PM, Cyberraga said:

I wish it was. I would be on streaming by now.

Why Warner don't put Just Say Roe compilation on streaming I wonder? Roe is in shitty situation these days, not only in US. Still it doesn't stop them from reissue.

You'd think it would be uploaded

at least we have the glorious Up Down Suite to tie us over!

On 6/14/2024 at 10:45 AM, Bad Boy said:

Hmmm but the compilation only came out in mid 1994, a year well after Fever. Perhaps it was done in 1993 with the intention of it being earmarked as a b-side? I doubt she would have known and and decided more than a year early that it would end up on the compilation. 

I believe that the "remix" is close to what was originally going to be on the album. They likely only added the new backup vocals.